Who remembers this one?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/ClassicRobins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Not sure it was disbelief at the end, Jon: most of us genuinely had no idea whether that ball had crossed the line or not. I don't think I've ever been as nervous as when Jules lumbered up for his kick - I remember saying that I'd have more confidence if he was allowed to bounce the ball on the spot and head it - but his turned out to be the calmest and most nerveless penalty of the night. Cotts had his back to the goal, unable to watch, and was relying on Tony Naylor to convey what had happened!
triggo
Yes , was at both matches
NGs goal was the result of a nice pass from a loanee from Wycombe whos name escapes me.
As for the penalty that Bookie 'saved ', not sure he knew much about it.
It hit the bar and bounced down behind him.
I remember thinking its in ....
for about three seconds silence ...... then uproar.
:P :P :P :P
Jon Palmer
The lad from Wycombe was Martyn Lee
Si Robin
I still say to this day I was the first to celebrate. I watched the ref as from where I was stood I could only see the top half of the goal. I saw him wave his arms across signalling no goal then went nuts, then for a split-second no-one else did and I thought I was wrong before Booky ran off celebrating and everyone else went mental.

Great night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asl
Martyn Lee celebrated like he'd been at the club for years, despite not getting on the pitch at the Mill Stad. Sharp contrast with Nathan Tyson who had a face like a smacked arse after he didn't get on.
robinsrule
Yes, a nervy night indeed! And a rare full house at Whaddon Road too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Willo's goal was epic.

Anyone got any footage of his goal and THAT penalty save/miss/miracle?
Jerry St Clair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKY6NM0 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Poor quality footage, but the best I can find.
Nesty
Jerry beat me to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKY6NM0 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks Jerry/Nesty. Top stuff.
Nesty
it is a game that ought to be remembered as one of the key matches in the last epic 20 years, had anyone asked me who we played in the play off semifinals I would have been scratching my head. I would also have been struggling to remember that we beat Wycombe to get to the 2006 final
Ralph
Great memories. That is how you win playoff football
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:it is a game that ought to be remembered as one of the key matches in the last epic 20 years, had anyone asked me who we played in the play off semifinals I would have been scratching my head. I would also have been struggling to remember that we beat Wycombe to get to the 2006 final
Crikes. Maybe it's an age thing, but both semi-finals will be forever ingrained in my mind and memory. Both up there in my top 5 CTFC moments of my lifetime.
Reliant Robin
We had some rockin' crowds back then, but what I remember most about that year was the build up of momentum after Christmas. The momentum was definitely with us as we came from nowhere to get into the play-offs. The expectation and anticipation during the Play Off semi's was electric and we kind of all knew we would do it.
Si Robin
Think you're getting confused RR - we missed out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season in 01/01 and had been no lower than 10th since November and not out of the playoff positions at all since the first weekend in February.

I think 05/06 we were playing on momentum.
asl
The Wycombe away game in the semis was great fun. Watched the Gerrard v West Ham FA Cup game in the club bar beforehand, then thoroughly enjoyed the live match - and the trip back on the bus to where I'd left my car in the pub at Stokenchurch: I'm pretty sure that me and the missus were the only away fans on that bus. Good, friendly, craic!

Didn't enjoy the second leg at home in the slightest, however. Not sure if such a nervy match could ever be classed as enjoyable - and, if it wasn't for the occasion, I suspect I'd have viewed it as a bore-draw.
Shade
asl wrote:The Wycombe away game in the semis was great fun. Watched the Gerrard v West Ham FA Cup game in the club bar beforehand, then thoroughly enjoyed the live match - and the trip back on the bus to where I'd left my car in the pub at Stokenchurch: I'm pretty sure that me and the missus were the only away fans on that bus. Good, friendly, craic!

Didn't enjoy the second leg at home in the slightest, however. Not sure if such a nervy match could ever be classed as enjoyable - and, if it wasn't for the occasion, I suspect I'd have viewed it as a bore-draw.
Pretty much my memories - first leg was great, I remember me and my mate going to get the new shirt in the early afternoon before driving to Wycombe. Second leg...I'm not sure it would have been classed as a bore draw, but I remember wave after wave of Wycombe attacks that were repelled.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
asl wrote:The Wycombe away game in the semis was great fun. Watched the Gerrard v West Ham FA Cup game in the club bar beforehand, then thoroughly enjoyed the live match - and the trip back on the bus to where I'd left my car in the pub at Stokenchurch: I'm pretty sure that me and the missus were the only away fans on that bus. Good, friendly, craic!

Pretty much my memories - first leg was great, I remember me and my mate going to get the new shirt in the early afternoon before driving to Wycombe. Second leg...I'm not sure it would have been classed as a bore draw, but I remember wave after wave of Wycombe attacks that were repelled.
Another one where Sky Sports were upset with the result.

During the week Rob Lee was a pundit on Sky Sports News match coverage. He had a cut on his face, which when asked about he blamed on Armstrong and couldn't believe Spud hadn't got a red card for it.

Was going on how Chelt played a poor, long ball, rough and tumble game. He and Sky both agreed Wycombe were a bigger and better side and were confident of winning by a few goals at Whaddon Road.

Made the 0-0 even more enjoyable from my point of view.
Reliant Robin
Si Robin wrote:Think you're getting confused RR - we missed out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season in 01/01 and had been no lower than 10th since November and not out of the playoff positions at all since the first weekend in February.

I think 05/06 we were playing on momentum.
You're probably right Si, I honestly thought we'd had a late surge that year as well. Memory obviously blighted. Always felt we were a second half of the season team until Yatesie took charge, when we became a first half of the season team !
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:

Another one where Sky Sports were upset with the result.

During the week Rob Lee was a pundit on Sky Sports News match coverage. He had a cut on his face, which when asked about he blamed on Armstrong and couldn't believe Spud hadn't got a red card for it.

Was going on how Chelt played a poor, long ball, rough and tumble game. He and Sky both agreed Wycombe were a bigger and better side and were confident of winning by a few goals at Whaddon Road.

Made the 0-0 even more enjoyable from my point of view.
I forgot about the Rob Lee incident. Saw him in their studio at St James Park on Monday night. He's ageing pretty terribly. Face all puffy, hair as white as Casper. But...if you will be bitter towards CTFC...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
He was starting to go that way during that season for Wycombe. Any player outpaced by McCann, Guinan, and Gavin Caines is due for retirement.