We are staying up!

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

robinsrule
Well, we got there at the end. Sounded a bit nerve wracking! I'm sure we'll roll over at Portsmouth next week but it doesn't matter now.

Onwards and upwards, and hopefully next year will be more fun!!

COYR
Malabus
We were awful, but got the job done.
triggo
that was terrible.
so much hoof ball I cricked my neck...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin
Agree with the above, it was as bad a match as you are likely to see luckily Hartlepool are considerably worse than us and carried zero goal threat because we were bad today. Still can't bring myself to celebrate staying up, just glad to get this awful season behind us and hope lessons are learnt.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Seven points clear with a game to go. Pretty comfortable and shows there was never much to worry about.
Jerry St Clair
Did our very level best to screw it up. Absolutely dreadful game. If Hartlepool are the worst team in the league after Orient, then we really aren't much better.

Major, major changes in playing staff needed in the summer.
slinky_dog
Two terrible teams. Difficult to say which was worse today. Not sure we would have got any points against any other league 2 team on that showing. However job done I guess...

Need a significant turnover in players over the summer. And the pitch needs sorting.

I am not going to think about football now for 3 months.

Perhaps in 3 months my optimism will be back.
Nesty
well done Russ and the lads well done in particular to Scotty, Stoz, Billy and Wrighty.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jeff Stelling will be Crapping himself right now

RLGTNEEAIO
theidlerich
Truly awful game; hoof as far as possible, anywhere will do, very few passes strung together. Tension, nerves, evident from the KO. Decent header from DW; thanks, but I do not expect to see him next season. The couple of saves from Scotty saved us; didn't see who scrambled that late one clear. Glad Hartlepool were as bad as us! Came away with three thoughts; 500 club missed my number yet again; GJ's cardboard cut-out - classs [well done to the instigator; and the pyrotechnic idiot - can imagine the Police request for supporters to look out for the culprit - wearing a striped T-shirt; red neck tie and with a white face!
Shade
And breathe...

That was one of the worst, most horrendous afternoons, especially the second half. Surprised I've got any nails left. Heart pounding.

Loved it. I must be sadistic. Roll on August and a better season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:
theidlerich wrote:- can imagine the Police request for supporters to look out for the culprit - wearing a striped T-shirt; red neck tie and with a white face!
Late contender for post of the season. Made me choke on my cider :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Several people made the joke when the tannoy announcement was made. We were chuckling at in the In2P.

It was Davis who got that one off the line.
Oldun
Agree with most of Ben's sentiments, apart from his comments about Cranston (who didn't let us down at all this afternoon!Perhaps we have solved the Cranston question, he's a right back after all!)
Anyway agree with Ben in saying well done to the Board, GJ, PJ and the rest of the staff for sorting things out in Jan and to the players for getting us to safety. It has not been pretty, but we are there!
Robin
Just glad to get this season over, new strikers a must, please good bye to Cranston (who did OK when he came on to be fair but no where near good enough), agree also about Wright he should be no more than cover next year, Holman needs a big improvement.
theidlerich
Ta RCS; wonder what happened to the silver Audi too? :)

Next thread has to be Squad for next season - any bets on who will start it? Perhaps a new style of prediction league - highest number of 'retainers' ? Which names would one wish to keep from all, including loanees, "signed" during this season?
Reginald
Much relief - but there has to be change to avoid the same situation next season. That's on and off the field.
Some questions:
1. Are we able to attract the right players?
2. Is there really an appetite for the game in the Cheltenham area?
3. What level can we realistically sustain?
Robin
I would say without some ambition league one is probably about as realistic as we can sustain but smaller clubs than ourselves have reached the 2nd tier.
Reliant Robin
Ben2 wrote:Quite right RCS, and whilst us and Portsmouth are in the same boat (nothing to play for) if we do manage to win next week then we could well end up in mid table anonymity.

What a season! Champions stay up despite everything going wrong. Storer out for months; GJ's horrible illness; a pitch that got out of hand; and more bad luck than you could shake a stick at. Fortunately the crazy predictions of needing 53 points were wildly off mark and the 45/46 points the more sane voices suggesred have proven to be plenty to keep us in the league.

Those of us who started the season saying we would finish between 4th and 21st have been proven correct, the big change during the season has been dismantling the poor back 4 at Xmas and bringing in Boyle (quality) and Manny (tryer) alongside the class of Cranston. O'Shocky has not let them down and Winny did his best at full back - a good player hopelessly out of position. Cranston was brilliant today as he was v Grimsby and must be a sure candidate to stay next season.

So, on to next season (after a pointless trip to the South Coast). I'm not sure Gary Johnson will be our manager at the start in August - I really hope he is but my brain says probably not. Lets hope I'm being pessimistic and he recovers fully.

There have been a lot of threads about players but its clear Brown, Boyle, Manny, Cranston, Storer, Pell, Wright and Holman (if he is fit and gets his confidence back - he looked a little bit lost today) are good enough to keep us in the league. Others will argue about whether this is enough and whether we should do a Leyton Orient and go for broke to get promoted. There are lots of good models about spending above your means to get out of a league - FGR, Rushden and Diamonds etc - and so maybe this time next year the same old moaners will be moaning that we have not spent like mad and gone for promotion or bust. For me I like Wright and Pell and Storer and the fact they love the club and try hard - I understand for a lot of people this is not enough

Well done Mr Baker another successful season and I hope you manage to let go and relax next season. Again I have an inkling you may not let go as easily as you think but thanks for another great season
Well said Ben2. I have to admit being surprised at the negativity even after we've hauled ourselves away from the drop, but some of the doom and gloom posters on here have to console themselves that they were right (even though they were totally wrong) by focusing on negatives - they can't help themselves. We should be proud of the fact we had a bunch of battlers that gave their all for this Club, maybe some lack a bit of quality, but they did enough to sescure our safety despite so many unexpected setbacks. They deserve praise for what they've achieved for us.
theidlerich
Decent posts Ben2 and RR; agree the teams have really battled hard over the last few games and seen us over the line and deserve a lot of credit for that. They have made up for the appalling start with a very weak squad. I'm not sure about the negativity though; more a vision of reality and comparing our players with the opposition and what we really needed. To-day was one of the few that I felt I wouldn't necessarily wish for any of their players in one of our positions. But then not too much ball play came into it; although one did see our latest RAF strike force wing pass [those three biplanes...] as ones eyes were constantly arching upwards.
London Exile
I was forced to follow the game on twitter due to a family wedding but the relief when FT came up was huge. I think this season has dampened the expectations at our club after the amazing bounceback season, I for one was a bit OTT in my hopes. I hope to see GJ back at the helm and build a squad over the next couple of seasons to have a real push at automatic promotion.
Next season I'd be more than happy with a top half finish and seeing some decent games on a half decent pitch.

I eagerly await to see how low Four Four Two put us in their annual predictions, I'm guessing 23rd ?
cheltsaxon
surely Ben Is on the wind up with his Cranston comments!!? His first touch was to hit a ball out of the ground, his others not much better at one point tripping over his own feet!!
Coops
Ben2 wrote:Quite right RCS, and whilst us and Portsmouth are in the same boat (nothing to play for).
Portsmouth have plenty to play for! They will be playing for the championship of League 2. Any of Portsmouth, Plymouth or Doncaster could still be champions.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Strange silence from Del Boy, Confused.com, etc. Maybe they are struggling to comprehend we are safe with a game to spare.
London Exile
I was quite happy for you to prove me correct on this one RCS ;)

Although I'm optimistic we'll fare better next season I shalln't be backing us for top 7 as I did this season. Logging into my online account to see that 'open bet' over the past couple of months has been terrible
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Strange silence from Del Boy, Confused.com, etc. Maybe they are struggling to comprehend we are safe with a game to spare.
I imagine a number are still struggling to comprehend how you worked out we were safe back in January with 15 games to go...
Del Boy
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Strange silence from Del Boy, Confused.com, etc. Maybe they are struggling to comprehend we are safe with a game to spare.
I imagine a number are still struggling to comprehend how you worked out we were safe back in January with 15 games to go...
Ha nice reply. Delighted we stayed up - but hard to escape from the fact it was a dreadful season with one of the worst teams we've had in the league.
Disappointed some now seem to be happy with mid-table next season.
I wouldn't keep many of those not under contract. Total overhaul needed to get back to the level of expectation of when Mark Yates was in charge.
Have a nice summer all.
confused.com
RCS - silent on purpose after taking advice on two directly personally abusive comments received on here. Seems two comments is the legal threshold for abusive trolling. Signing off
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Simple common sense.