Form required to retain league status.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

FOD_Wyman_2010
Looking at recent seasons, the highest number of points required to stay up in League Two has been 51. Now I know that in any season you get anomalies (last year you only needed 35 points) but I suspect that we will need to be closer to the 50 mark this year.

That means we need to be aiming for at least 30 points from the remaining 22 games (currently on 21 points). This is perfectly achievable with a balanced record of W8 D6 L8 or better.

So if I was GJ, I would say ignore the league table altogether at this point and effectively start the season again with 22 games to play. I would say lets make sure we win more games than we lose until the end of the season and that should take care of us (a very obvious statement that you might make at the start of any season but the situation is still the same despite a poor first half of the season).

Other than Newport, Notts County, Orient and Accrington, do you think anyone else is at risk? Will Morecambe's transfer embargo and potential off field problems drag them into it? Are Crewe and Hartlepool still in the mix?

The general message is that the situation is not as bad as people might think sitting second bottom with all of the new recruits and their influence to come.
51/84
the handle says it all
first target 51 points then push on
achievable
COYR
Robin
I was thinking minimum of six wins, eight draws, anything less and it's going to be very close. I do feel we can do better than that though.

Even at this stage it's looking vital we win against Accrington, Newport, Hartlepool at home and get a draw at Notts County away.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We will win ten games between now and the end of the season.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We will win ten games between now and the end of the season.

Wouldn't mind being your bookmaker
Shade
If we're going for 51 points then in the next 22 games we only need to get 9 points more than we got in the first 22. Picking up 3 wins more than we got in the first half of the season should not be hard given we've got 6 new players so far that should all be first team contenders. It's not like we were a million miles off in about 15 of those 22 games.
confused.com
Shade wrote:If we're going for 51 points then in the next 22 games we only need to get 9 points more than we got in the first 22. Picking up 3 wins more than we got in the first half of the season should not be hard given we've got 6 new players so far that should all be first team contenders. It's not like we were a million miles off in about 15 of those 22 games.
As long as our recruits in january have more impact than our oppositions recruits, then we should be looking to turn round a few of those previous drawn matches
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We will win ten games between now and the end of the season.

Wouldn't mind being your bookmaker
I'll let you amend that remark come the end of the season.
Reliant Robin
I remember a creative young Northern Ireland player coming to us on loan in 2000/2001, ended up signing for us a few years later. He kickstarted our eventual promotion to League 1. And his name was Grant McCann.

Carl Winchester is our new Grant McCann. Watch us climb League 2 now. We will be fine.
Robin
Only McCann came here as a left back for the season to cover Jamie Victory Reliant but I agree with the sentiment;-)
Reliant Robin
Robin wrote:Only McCann came here as a left back for the season to cover Jamie Victory Reliant but I agree with the sentiment;-)
Yes, you're right, and we converted him to midfield where his control and artistry made all the difference. I see Winchester having a similar McCann impact.

Watch here as he beats 3 Scunthorpe defenders to calmly slot the ball past the keeper:

https://youtu.be/U8CG4c1M9Mk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
And both Carl and Grant have a Linfield connections. So maybe the omens are good!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:And both Carl and Grant have a Linfield connections. So maybe the omens are good!!!
We have done well with N.I internationals over the years.

Duff, McCann, Carson - any more?
leohoenig
Our away form is 10 points from 11 games (0.91 ppg), compared to 11 points from 13 at home (0.85). So not worried about away form.
If we carry on as we have done so far when away, we would pick up about 12 more way points, meaning we need roughly 18 points from 10 home games.
Shade
Ben2 wrote:Its that time of year again when people start hoping and aiming for losses. I've never wanted us to lose even a single game and wont start now.

"Alright boys, we won last week so this week lets aim to lose".

I admit I am pernickety on this but it is a real pet hate. What people mean is: "If we get x amount of points we will be fine" not "We should AIM for x amount of points". Its completely illogical as it means that some games we hope or "aim" to lose.

That said 51 points is wisely pointed out as the holy grail. We are away more than home from now on but I am sure this is well achievable
We should aim for at least/minimum. You know what people mean.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
One down nine to go.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two down, eight to go.
Robin
Even at this stage win on Saturday and I can't see Newport finishing above us. That said, I think it's two from six and anyone up to Hartlepool could go, I'd stick my head out and say Newport and Notts County for the drop.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don't rule out a club dropping like a stone from higher up the table.
Robin
I did consider Morecambe but they also have games in hand so it would take a massive loss of form for them to go. I reckon 45 points may be enough this season to stay up.
Shade
Orient for me. The whole club seems to be a mess at the moment.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Three down, seven to go.
Robin
Win next week and I reckon we are as good as safe, Orient and Newport would have a mountain to climb.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Win next week and I reckon we are as good as safe, Orient and Newport would have a mountain to climb.
I agree. Apart from putting Stanley to the knife we have not performed in the recent six pointers against the relegation battlers: N. County x 2, and Crewe were all there to be beat and we got 2 points from 9 which was incredibly poor.

This needs to be rectified next week.

Hartlepool is our last home game: that could well be the tenth victory of ten.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Don't rule out a club dropping like a stone from higher up the table.
Based on today's showing, I wouldn't rule Yeovil out from being that team.
Robin
I think they have enough points to probably be alright despite how poor they were today, 3-4 wins would be enough for them and they can likely manage that.
confused.com
Still have a concern that we miss / mess up so many chances. What was Billy thinking after that great thru ball from winchester
Shade
confused.com wrote:Still have a concern that we miss / mess up so many chances. What was Billy thinking after that great thru ball from winchester
2 other decent chances over the bar as well that I can't help but feel Holman or De Girolamo would have at least had on target. But he worked his socks off as usual.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:I think they have enough points to probably be alright despite how poor they were today, 3-4 wins would be enough for them and they can likely manage that.
I was only being half serious, Robin. Stranger things have happened - for example I'm sure York onc plummeted from a play-off position to relegation around this time of the season.
asl
Rushden went from the edge of the playoffs in L1 to successive relegations and, finally, dissolution in the most dramatic fall I can remember.
vickeryc
Shade wrote:
confused.com wrote:Still have a concern that we miss / mess up so many chances. What was Billy thinking after that great thru ball from winchester
2 other decent chances over the bar as well that I can't help but feel Holman or De Girolamo would have at least had on target. But he worked his socks off as usual.
That's true, but let's be fair. We won the game quite comfortably and, at the end of the day, it's winning games that matters.

Had GJ started with Holman and/or Diego, there's no guarantee that either would have put those chances away. If they hadn't, I'm sure there would've been much criticism of their selection. Billy's overall performance today was first class and he deserved MoM in my opinion (despite the couple of misses).
Rogerrobin
Kyle and Billy worked hard and caused them problems throughout. Yeovil were woeful, surely relegation candidates. Stoz looked good and the defence sound, with Barts offering some width too. Home form could keep us up, the LCI fixtures don't look too daunting. Sneak a win or two away a la Luton and we should be ok. And we have a good foundation for next year. Well done GJ, back room and the squad.... not over yet, but the fat lady is clearing her throat....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The problem is when he has time to think. Most of his goals are instinct/poacher
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Four down six to go.

Closing in on 17th, as promised by RCS a month or more ago.
Robin
Four wins would probably be enough to secure survival from here but worth keeping perspective we've beaten a woeful Orient and a poor Yeovil so let's keep our feet on the ground for the moment.