Time to say goodbye for some

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
At the end of a tough season: http://bit.ly/CTFCJobDone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
have we got a list of which players are contracted for next season, off hand I think we have Pell, Winchester and Boyle - any others ?
Robin
Pell, Winchester, Boyle, Holman and Bower are contracted.

Of the rest my preference would be:

Release: Parslow, Hall, AMS, Dayton, Cranston, Rowe, Downes (unless he takes player coach role), Kitscha.
Retained and in first eleven: Munns, Brown, O'Shoggers, Barts, Davis,
Retain as cover: Wright, Storer, Lovett, Lymm(?)

New signings: First choice target man, Winger, defensive midfielder, back up left back, another right sided player.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Pell, Winchester, Boyle, Holman and Bower are contracted.

Release: Parslow, Hall, AMS, Dayton, Cranston, Rowe, Downes (unless he takes player coach role), Kitscha.
On what basis Munns?
asl
Not sure we can 'retain' Brown - he's only on loan, after all.
Robin
Yes, seems we are going to sign him or at least attempt to sign him though ASL.
CTFCfan99
I'd also like us to sign another CB, but other than that I agree with Robin.
Oldun
Storer a must for next season. Stand out player last few weeks and with Brown and Boyle main reason we are staying up.
Can't see Munnsy or Barts staying as they have not been serious contributors this year |(whether you agree or not GJ does not consider them to be worth a place in starting line up
Oldun
Also meant to say we need experienced centre back, right back, creative midfielder, two strikers and wide player. Easy!
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Pell, Winchester, Boyle, Holman and Bower are contracted.

On what basis Munns?
I believe he should be retained.

I reckon that one of the reasons that Munns hasn't played recently has been the state of the pitch which has caused the adoption of hoof and hope tactics.

Once we have a good surface again at Whaddon Road, we can play through the midfield and he can shine again.
London Exile
I agree with Red Duke regards Munns and I hope he's here next season pulling the strings on a better playing surface.

Regarding the GK situation I'd like us to have a permanent No 1 and I can't see either Phillips or Brown being here.
Nesty
It will be interesting to see details of the 4 or 5 players GJ and PJ have lined up

I would see Rowe being offered a deal. I also wonder if we will try to keep Davis and Brown, and what about Manny ?
horlickfanclub
Have you ever heard of Billy Waters Robin?
Robin
Missed him but clear he will be offered a new deal, not sure he would be in my starting eleven though.
Rulistening
Robin wrote:Missed him but clear he will be offered a new deal, not sure he would be in my starting eleven though.
..? Are we planning to sign Messi then?
theidlerich
Having nearly recovered from yesterdays stressful afternoon and off the medication....... my squad build for 2017/8 would be >>Pell, Winchester, Boyle, Holman and Bower obviously! Billy Walters a must; and the following: [loanees included in hope..], Jack Barthram, Daniel O’Shaughnessy, Callum Kitscha [if he wants to be No2 back-up]; Scott Brown [if he can be prised away from WW’ers], Rob Dickie [forlorn hope] Storer as cover. Possibly Downes as a player/coach?
I would not retain, or wish for any others. If a sizable majority are retained I would reconsider acquiring my season ticket My main concern is whether the management team will be up to the task of creating a squad for Lg2 with a possible shout at the play-offs.
Robin
Rulistening wrote:
Robin wrote:Missed him but clear he will be offered a new deal, not sure he would be in my starting eleven though.
No Ronaldo :lol: Billy has been great this season with superb work rate but we need better up front if we want to challenge for promotion and a fit Dan Holman is better.
London Exile
Of our current squad contracted to us I'd be happy to see Wright, Waters, Barts, Munns, Storer, Dayton and DOS offered new deals.
I'm hoping that the 4/5/6 players Pete Johnson has lined up are of similar calibre to Winchester and Boyle, if so I would be confident of us avoiding fliratation with the relegation places next season.
andgarod
How is Munns going to get in the team next season. Perhaps he will grow 6 inches
Dayton how often will he be sick over the summer
I would rather spend their money on Petes proteges
London Exile
We need a decent squad and I think those I've mentioned above all add something. I think Munnsy has been hard done by and should've featured a lot more ahead of Rowe IMO.

I don't think we'll see mass changes if GJ remains. My interpretation was that in January he wanted to bring in players that could add to his current crop and kick on. At that time it wasn't inconceivable we could've made the top 7 so I'm assuming GJ would still feel that the core of the current squad mixed in with a few new faces could do the same.
mozzo
I think Will Boyle should be made club captain for next season.
andgarod
As I was critical of Stoz at the start of the season I will applaud him since his return from the last suspension ( which was wrong)
I have no problem with Stoz as captain but we all need to accept that he is not getting any younger and may still be a marked man by some refs

As was said by GJ we need 12 captains -unfortunately Pelly did seem to take to it particularly well

We need at least one 20+ goal striker
We need an influential midfielder
we need a winger/ crosser of the ball ( Wrighty can score given supply as will any other forward)
We need 2 CBs ( one mature , not Downes and a youngster)
We need our own goalkeeper

We do not need FGR cast offs looking for an easy life
Oldun
And full backs? If Davis stays we maybe have one full back bit if Barts goes we need a right back.
Reliant Robin
Will Boyle is definitely a captain for the future, and it won't take him long, but at his present age I think it would be an unfair burden on him. I favour Stoz 100% - he's an absolute warrior. There are temperament risks, but players with his passion and commitment all have that risk (e.g. Wayne Rooney in his prime). We don't want a diplomat protecting the back 5, we want a Field Marshall.

Field Marshall Stoz, you have my vote as Captain of CTFC.
horlickfanclub
I agree with you about Billy, Robin. We need someone who knows how to play on the left properly and support whoever is left back

I do not think we need to change too many players. Since January we are a mid table side and if Pike and Di Gerilamo had stayed fit/interested we would have had a strong enough squad to have been safe a few weeks ago. I would like to see any loan players replaced with permanent signings or at least with season long loans who are probable first choices rather than players with too much to learn.
The king of heading ,skipper Downes , should be given another year as player/coach. He has held things together when on the pitch in the last month and integral to the team spirit which has helped keep us up. I would also like to see some of young players kept on so we can benefit from the time and money already invested in them. How about another Crowdfunder for the "One for the future " fund. Target £20,000- £30,000 to fund two or three young players additional to the squad who can be loaned out and developed.
everyman
Robin wrote:
Rulistening wrote:
No Ronaldo :lol: Billy has been great this season with superb work rate but we need better up front if we want to challenge for promotion and a fit Dan Holman is better.
We do need pace up front and i would give Holman the no.2 shirt if that`s how many goals he has scored(he needs a kick up the ***)Also more goals from defenders when we get free-kicks.A high proportion of goals come from them at this level.
Robin
why does Holman need a kick up the ass when his work rate has been largely applauded? He's suffered injuries and a lack of a quality partner in my opinion.
CTFC03
Fingers crossed Cranston gets the boot, Davis is far superior although I don't think he's played well recently but he has a lot of quality. Holman needs a full pre season and I'd like to see Winchester in the middle, maybe behind the strikers.
little mo
Wrexham have said they want to keep Jennings next season,good luck with that. Is he still contracted to us?
Robin
He's contracted until June, sure to be on the released list though, always forget he is still here.
Benctfc
Out of the current players who aren't on loan I see Boyle,Pell and Storer as good enough to be starters in this league if we want at least top half. Holman and Winchester would also be good enough with a pre season under their belt. I would also be happy to see Brown and Manny back but not sure how likely that is. There are others who I would keep as bench players like Waters (Isn't a midfielder but has useful energy to make an impact off the bench like in the national league season),Wright,Barthram,Davis,Kitscha. I hope we aren't sentimental and keep some of the old squad which aren't up to this level like Rowe,Dayton,Cranston etc. Below is what I would hope to see lining up next season

New GK (Brown)?
New RB
Boyle
New CB (Manny)?
New LB
Pell
Storer
Winchester
New Winger
Holman
New Striker
Bench
Kitscha
Barts
Davis
New CB
New CM
Waters
Wright
THECHOIRBOY
andgarod wrote:As I was critical of Stoz at the start of the season I will applaud him since his return from the last suspension ( which was wrong)
I have no problem with Stoz as captain but we all need to accept that he is not getting any younger and may still be a marked man by some refs
Stoz is 30!!! That is hardly a risk regarding age - in fact you could argue he shoudl be reaching his prime.
Shade
Stoz, for his position, should still have a good couple of years in him. It's not like he relies on pace like a winger or striker.