Saturday predictions

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4-1 Robins
Johnsons Red Army
2-0 Robins
arobinsfan
2-1 with no finger nails and very sore finger tips.
Shade
1-2.
Robin
A nervy 2-1 home win in front of 4095 (315 away fans). Holman and Wright on the score sheet for us.
FOD_Wyman_2010
2-1. I don't see us losing on a pitch that will suit our formation and style of play. Opposition teams have struggled to adapt to it.
everyman
Both teams to score ???
asl
everyman wrote:Both teams to score ???
Either team to keep a clean sheet???
Malabus
2-0
MSB
3-0/3-1

Nervy first half where we'll score late on. Early 2nd half goal and then one to make sure soon after that, See out the game from then on. We might even concede one so everyone can complain how we just sat back and invited pressure when we should have tried to score more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
MSB wrote:3-0/3-1

Nervy first half where we'll score late on. Early 2nd half goal and then one to make sure soon after that, See out the game from then on. We might even concede one so everyone can complain how we just sat back and invited pressure when we should have tried to score more.
In 2006 run-in when were chasing play-offs we were 3-0 vs Rushden at HT. Took it easy second half to rest legs and save energy. Rushden got one back. The "nothing side" twins (Block 4, Row I) left in disgust after an hour, shouting displeasure at the players as they did so.
triggo
yes, but their there every match rain or shine !
triggo
anyway 2 1 for what its worth, just hope we have the rub of the green for once.
have a feeling Dan Holman is overdue a goal
Reliant Robin
A Harry Pell screamer is going wide and high just to the right of the goal; it hits a low flying seagull directly in the midriff, drops down onto the back of the bewildered 'keepers head and falls behind him into the net.

As the 'keeper bends down to retrieve the injured seagull from the back of the net, the ball has dropped right onto the goal line near the corner flag, and is motionless. The linesman doesn't flag for ball out of play, and Billy Waters is first to react - he gets to the ball, drives it hard into the 6 yard box, where it strikes the 'keepers @rse still bent facing outwards, it thunders out to the edge of the 18 yard line (the ball that is, not the 'keepers @rse) where Dan Wright is prowling. Wrighty strikes it first time on the volley straight into the bottom left hand corner of the net for the most unlikely goal of the season and a 1-0 CTFC win, to keep us in the Football League.

The seagull recovers in time to do a lap of honour with the Players.

You read it here first.
London Exile
1-3 watched 4,189
Rulistening
I have a bad feeling about saturday for some reason and I hope I'm wrong (i normally am when i try to predict scores so i hope I am again!)

1-2 loss, incredibly scrappy game I think with so much on the line- lets hope officials don't try to make it all about them as usual
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:I have a bad feeling about saturday for some reason and I hope I'm wrong (i normally am when i try to predict scores so i hope I am again!)

1-2 loss, incredibly scrappy game I think with so much on the line- lets hope officials don't try to make it all about them as usual
If the officials are going to do anything wrong, it will be making it all about Hartlepool. If any fans are in earshot of Stelling's man-at-the-ground when they give updates to Soccer Saturday, please listen out for any bias criticism of the referee. Last thing we want is Sky Sports reports of the referee influencing the officials at half-time.

Though this may be a moot point; as several have suggested in other threads, it is likely influence has been applied to the referee already and will manifest on the pitch before half time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:A Harry Pell screamer is going wide and high just to the right of the goal; it hits a low flying seagull directly in the midriff, drops down onto the back of the bewildered 'keepers head and falls behind him into the net.

As the 'keeper bends down to retrieve the injured seagull from the back of the net, the ball has dropped right onto the goal line near the corner flag, and is motionless. The linesman doesn't flag for ball out of play, and Billy Waters is first to react - he gets to the ball, drives it hard into the 6 yard box, where it strikes the 'keepers @rse still bent facing outwards, it thunders out to the edge of the 18 yard line (the ball that is, not the 'keepers @rse) where Dan Wright is prowling. Wrighty strikes it first time on the volley straight into the bottom left hand corner of the net for the most unlikely goal of the season and a 1-0 CTFC win, to keep us in the Football League.

The seagull recovers in time to do a lap of honour with the Players.

You read it here first.
Poor by Trev to turn his back on the ball to tend to a gull. No wonder he is going to get relegated out of the League for a second time in three years.
Reliant Robin
Yes, an absolute shocker by Mr Carson's Standards, RCS, but he pays the price in two ways, not just with the relegation ... he's substituted shortly after the goal, and soundly boo'd by the Poolie faithful, as he solemnly trudges off the field knowing he has probably sealed their fate. But every cloud has a silver lining, as Trev goes on to receive a prestigeous award from the RSPB for his troubles and handsome royalties for the film rights after it becomes a Hollywood Blockbuster.

A Far Eastern betting syndicate also pick up an eye-watering payout as pre-match odds for seagull involvement were offered at a best price of 10,000-1. It pays to shop around.

Astonishingly, it later transpires that the seagull belonged to a Poolie fan who had brought it with him to Cheltenham, having mistaken it for a homing pigeon, and released it shortly before kick-off. Talk about an own-goal!
Si Robin
I'm pretty sure Trev won't be playing.
Reliant Robin
What? Are you suggesting Trev's robbed of the prestigeous RSPB award at the last moment?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
#WeWantTrev
Shade
I propose we call our hero seagull Solomon. Solly the Seagull will replace the "Robin" on our badge as he becomes a cult hero and, like the cockrell at France rugby games, he struts his stuff on the touchline for the next couple of seasons.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sol, Sol, where ever you may be
You're so big and feathery
You headed the ball
Into the gooooaaaaal
And brought tears to every Poolie
Reliant Robin
I'd like to be the seagull's agent.

I would negotiate a hefty release clause in his contract - at least five hundred and twenty thousand squid.

It's got to be better than hanging a monkey ?

A monkey is only worth five hundred.
Shade
We're very close to starting quite possibly the first ever Cheltenham Town fan fiction (?). Kind of our very own Roy of the Rovers; Sol of the Town.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:We're very close to starting quite possibly the first ever Cheltenham Town fan fiction (?). Kind of our very own Roy of the Rovers; Sol of the Town.
He produces heroics on and off the pitch. That time he rescued a small CTFC fan from a baying mob of Gillingham chavs, or squawked and flapped at Jordan Cranston to mark a man at the far post, or shat on Malabus' bike saddle.

Heart and Sol.
Reliant Robin
Our seagull's favourite Beatles album?

Rubber Sol

What else could be in the pecking order?

Anything by Noel Gallagher, or specifically High Flying Birds ?

We wouldn't want Solly to fly into a Wonder Wall, especially if Pelle is lining up to smash a free kick straight through it.
andgarod
Surely we are talking about
Jonathan Livingston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k028-NETGOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:Surely we are talking about
Jonathan Livingston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k028-NETGOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have read that book. Nicely spiritual and metaphysical without being God-bothering. Good for inspiration and mental health.
Reliant Robin
So, we are agreed. Our resident fictional Hartlepool destroying avian will henceforth be known as

Solomon (Solly) Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Seems rather fitting - but then again so did my trousers a couple of years back
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Overseeing training today at Seasons:

Shade
Oh, if only it wasn't too late to arrange 1000 inflatable seagulls for the fans to wave about tomorrow afternoon.
Reliant Robin
Shade wrote:Oh, if only it wasn't too late to arrange 1000 inflatable seagulls for the fans to wave about tomorrow afternoon.
Wishing (If I had a photograph of you) Solly, in a Flock Of Seagulls

https://youtu.be/opkzgLMH5MA
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:How many of the current 92 have bird nicknames? I can think of 7 off the top of my head but wait to be bettered...
Going from Prem down off the top of my head:

Eagles
Swans
Seagulls
Magpies
Owls
Bluebirds
Robins
Banthams
Robins
Magpies
Robins

Friends and I were discussing the other day how if the Swans survive and Tigers go down with the Black Cats, then with the Seagulls and Magpies coming up, it would be avian domination over feline in the top flight. Even more so if the Owls come up too. No doubt the Foxes will be hoping the Terriers make it up for canine companionship.

Edit: I forgot the Canaries as listed by asl below. All his, plus more, included in my list.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 29 Apr 2017, 08:31, edited 3 times in total.