Time to Celebrate

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
Stand in the car park at the ground and look at the old stand. Gone is the hoarding that says This is the home of Gloucester City of the Vanarama league. At long last it now feels they've gone for good. Here's to a superb pitch which will contribute to decent football and commisserations to Evesham Utd FC
plymrob
Good news then. Hoping for a return to the pitch we once had. The more machines the better - please keep the hot air to use with the frost covers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
May the fourth be with us. Cheltenham Town Independence Day.

COYR.
little mo
So glad they have gone. As i said before this was my last season of home games whilst they were here. Not prepared to pay another penny to watch c!#p on that beach, away games only. So yes Steve i will celebrate that i can go to home games as well. :D :D
Malabus
I like to thank everyone involved of the #GloucesterCityOut campaign.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:I like to thank everyone involved of the #GloucesterCityOut campaign.
Me too. I was late to join the campaign I must admit, but when I did, it was great to see the passion of the main members and instigators.
everyman
shevates wrote:Stand in the car park at the ground and look at the old stand. Gone is the hoarding that says This is the home of Gloucester City of the Vanarama league. At long last it now feels they've gone for good. Here's to a superb pitch which will contribute to decent football and commisserations to Evesham Utd FC
I must admit i to was so happy to see it gone although i wanted to rip it down,on sat.it was in the skip after Matt Utteridge couldn`t wait to sling it ?
Cheltenhamshire10
I'm going to celebrate every other thread not resulting in talking about the pitch and the everything being about the GloucesterCityOut campaign, from which I can see had about 3 members?
Nesty
it should have been called the F O G campaign - ask Mrs Brown (Feck off Gloucester)
Artemis
Unless some serious money is spent on the pitch this summer, I don't think you've heard the last of the bemoaning about the pitch. it was breaking up under foot in the first couple of games this current season. Don't think that has much to do with our former tenants
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Unless some serious money is spent on the pitch this summer, I don't think you've heard the last of the bemoaning about the pitch. it was breaking up under foot in the first couple of games this current season. Don't think that has much to do with our former tenants
200+ plus games more than the pitch was designed for over last seven years was a strong contributory factor.

It needed a good £250k to spent last summer just to halt further decline. Unfortunately, the inadequate work during the summer only made the problem worse.

Whilst we can't afford to fix it in one summer, at least halving the number of games on it will make it easier to stop the decline and start an improvement process.
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:Unless some serious money is spent on the pitch this summer, I don't think you've heard the last of the bemoaning about the pitch. it was breaking up under foot in the first couple of games this current season. Don't think that has much to do with our former tenants
200+ plus games more than the pitch was designed for over last seven years was a strong contributory factor.

It needed a good £250k to spent last summer just to halt further decline. Unfortunately, the inadequate work during the summer only made the problem worse.

Whilst we can't afford to fix it in one summer, at least halving the number of games on it will make it easier to stop the decline and start an improvement process.
Exactly this. Less games will give the groundsman more time to work on the pitch and also the pitch more time to recover.
Playing 2 games in 2 days during the heavy winter months won't have helped the cause
longmover
Ive noticed lots of other league two clubs have begun work on their pitches already, anything going on at WR?
paperboy
Sensible post.

Having the Tigers playing on it didn't help but there was clearly something amiss a few games into the season.

...and it's possible it helped us near the end of the season as we knew how to play on it whilst the opposition didn't.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Ive noticed lots of other league two clubs have begun work on their pitches already, anything going on at WR?
We had to wait an extra week for Gloucester to play on. They f*cked us up until the bitter end of their stay.
Artemis
One thing you can be sure of though is the loss of GCs rent and bar income leaves a significant hole in the budget to fill. £60 - £80k? Money that could otherwise have been spent on the pitch or players. Buts thats ok, isnt it, because at least we're able to stick two fingers up to our closest neighbours.
London Exile
Artemis wrote:One thing you can be sure of though is the loss of GCs rent and bar income leaves a significant hole in the budget to fill. £60 - £80k? Money that could otherwise have been spent on the pitch or players. Buts thats ok, isnt it, because at least we're able to stick two fingers up to our closest neighbours.
In fairness if we've been spending £20-30k a season on pitch maintenance then the net of Gloucester rental income would be around £40-50k. The new scoreboard is projected to generate up to £60k per year so that should cover any loss incurred from Gloucester being moved on.

I think the lack of clear communication from the club on what actual profit was made by the ground share hinted that it wasn't great for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:One thing you can be sure of though is the loss of GCs rent and bar income leaves a significant hole in the budget to fill. £60 - £80k? Money that could otherwise have been spent on the pitch or players. Buts thats ok, isnt it, because at least we're able to stick two fingers up to our closest neighbours.
£60k would work out at around 800 pints or more per game. A bit of an over estimate.

May have generated income, but that was obviously not enough to repair the pitch damage otherwise we would have done so.

The fact the rent and bar money could not even cover the cost of an acceptable pitch suggests we didn't make any profit out of the deal and it has left us with a shortfall.