Portsmouth v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/PortsmouthAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Missing three of our best but we will still win.
CTFCfan99
Interesting that Pell starts. Seems a bit of a pointless risk if he were to pick up a booking and miss the first three games next season.
Robin
Glad I didn't go now, apparently the we fell apart after Milton made changes and Cranston was shocking at right back, somethings never seem to change.
andgarod
so without being there then you know that Cranston is going to get pelters
Who covered the RB or was R centre half

I will want to see your face Robin when Cranston gets a new contract
Robin
I listened on the radio and was told by those who went that Cranston was terrible. We also fell apart after Milton made substutions, just like against Barnet.
Benctfc
It just shows how far away we are from being able to compete at this level with the current squad. Only Pell,Storer and Boyle are good enough to start regularly at this level who started today. If we don't sign a minimum of around 7 new players to improve the first 11 (not squad players) in the summer we will struggle again next season at this level. There's a few I would keep as squad players (Wright,Holman,Davis,Barts,Kitscha,Winchester) but they aren't players who are good enough to start week in week out at this level as we have seen this season.
CTFC03
If Milton had been in charge sooner we would have gone down today, a relief that this season is over.
Robin
Winchester has played his entire career in league one, he should be starting next season in my opinion.
Rulistening
I know it doesnt really matter as we were safe but 6-1..? Not really ever acceptable and sums up the year we've had!. Looking forward to next season with brand new players- some of the current squad left us good memories and we appreciate what they have done for our club but we need to get more proven league quality players. A "revamp" of sorts is required going into next season to not be involved in a tense relegation scrap again. And also please never waste Winchester at RB again... Far too good to be placed in a clearly awkward position for him. He wasn't bad but he was hardly good there
horlickfanclub
Our tactics and selection has been erratic this season.Maybe time for a Management change for some fresh ideas.
Alf
A disgraceful performance from players and, dare I say management, who are looking to represent our club next season. This was a wonderful opportunity for players to put themselves in the 'shop window' and they failed miserably. I feel sorry for the fans who wasted good money travelling to see this inept performance. I know we were safe but where was the pride ffs.
Benctfc
I don't think it was a case of lack of effort today or this season for that matter like the last couple teams we had in the league were guilty of. The truth is we just have a poor quality squad for this level on the whole who stuggle to compete. No manager in the league would be a success with our current squad so asking for a management change is ludicrous of course the summer recruitment was poor but we gave the champions a chance which was what everyone wanted. GJ and PJ brought in the sufficent quality in January to see us safe and hopefully now in the summer they can build a new squad like the Summer before the national league began. We will struggle to get a better manager than GJ at this level and he more than deserves the chance to build a FL league squad we were always going to need a couple of seasons to establish ourselves back in the FL.
Robin
Jon Palmer suggests that up to ten of the seventeen out of contract players may be moving on.
Benctfc
horlickfanclub wrote:Our tactics and selection has been erratic this season.Maybe time for a Management change for some fresh ideas.
What and potentially end up with another Paul Buckle? To ask for a change just a season after winning a league with 100+ points lifting the club of it's knees. Without GJ we could of ended up like a York or Torquay competing near the bottom of the conference I think he has more than earnt another season in L2 thank god Paul Baker has some common sense and calls the shots.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:It just shows how far away we are from being able to compete at this level with the current squad. Only Pell,Storer and Boyle are good enough to start regularly at this level who started today. If we don't sign a minimum of around 7 new players to improve the first 11 (not squad players) in the summer we will struggle again next season at this level. There's a few I would keep as squad players (Wright,Holman,Davis,Barts,Kitscha,Winchester) but they aren't players who are good enough to start week in week out at this level as we have seen this season.
Been clear since October/November a full squad overhaul would be needed this summer. Nothing new and I don't think any fan or club employee will be expecting anything less.
Oldun
If I might be allowed to introduce a note of realism......We were without Manny and Winny......we had no recognized fit right back.......Pelly was not allowed to tackle.........Pompey wanted three points to be champions...we needed nothing....there were umpteen thousand Pompey supporters cheering on their team....they have a huge budget compared to us......first goal was miskick........second deflected when Scotty had original shot covered.........
Are we surprised therefore that we got a bit of a hammering and as a result we need new management? Unbelievable!
andgarod
What we do need is a bigger better squad of men not boys who are brought in because we dont need to pay them 52 weeks just 40
We need experience and round pegs for round holes
Alf
Maybe a bit of a beer fuelled rant but I was not suggesting in any way at all that we look for someone to replace GJ, I have always backed him and would not want to see him leave. I had hoped that with the pressure of relegation removed the players may go out in such an atmosphere and put on an end of season performance to give us a bit of hope for the future. Sadly, this was not to be.
Not a great season but we managed to retain our league status. That is the important thing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This is why I stated months ago (when safety was obvious) that I had no intention of going to the Pompey game as it would be a waste of time and money. Season ended last week for us as far as I am concerned. I don't even know or care who played for us yesterday or anything.
andgarod
And you call yourself a fan
OK save the time and money but to say yesterday was of no interest is disgraceful
Scotty made it through to pompey fans to say farewell as did Barts what about the rest who simply left the pitch
545 fans were there but for most it was a bad day in a bad season so farewell
The management should have been making the players watch and understand not slinking up the tunnel
Alf
It did cross my mind that players with ambition should have been lifted by playing in front of a big crowd rather than having one eye on their summer holidays. You can learn a lot about your players in games like this.
Nesty
a fitting end to a c!#p season.