Portsmouth odds

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Johnsons Red Army
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... ham/winner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the risk of looking a fool if we get stuffed, 10/1 is a RIDICULOUS price for us to win, it has to be said.

I know we have nothing to play for, they are the better team, are at home and are also fighting for #1 overall spot, but despite all of those factors, I still stand by 10/1 being overpriced.
Shade
10/1 in a two horse race when both sides are technically in the same division seems ridiculous, especially as we're now safe and, with the pressure off, we MIGHT turn up and play fantastically, whereas their guys hear early on they can't win the title and switch off. Anything could happen.
leohoenig
Yes, but that is not how the odds work.
The high odds against us represents the relatively large number of bets placed on Portsmouth to win
The trick to betting, (one that I have not mastered, so I do not bet) is to recognise when the odds are offering good value, and to bet there.
If you bet often enough events with a good value, then you should eventually make a profit.
If you do not, then it means you cannot recognise which odds are good value.
FOD_Wyman_2010
I think the odds are right if not a little short for our chances. We play a narrow 4-4-2 which gets exposed on large pitches such as Blackpool and Portsmouth. Portsmouth have a title to play for whereas we will be very relaxed mentally after a huge effort last week. We may rest Pelly so he doesn't get a ban next season and take an opportunity to give Bower a game to assess his development. We will likely be missing Winchester and Manny so could be a bit thin on the ground defensively if Barts isn't fit yet.

I would say that the odds are representative of our chances. A likely defeat with the job having been done last week. It could actually be quite heavy if they get an early goal or two as the result doesn't matter to us at all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheltenham to win, Holman first scorer. Place a tenner on and that's most of next season's season ticket paid for.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Cheltenham to win, Holman first scorer. Place a tenner on and that's most of next season's season ticket paid for.
Or it's three fewer pints over the weekend.
Malabus
We won't win at Portsmouth, dreamers.
I will give you 25/1 any stakes? then please send me a PM.
Johnsons Red Army
How much do you have to put up? I'll take your 25/1 then lay it back at 10/1 on the exchanges and keep the difference for myself :D .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Cheltenham to win, Holman first scorer. Place a tenner on and that's most of next season's season ticket paid for.
Or it's three fewer pints over the weekend.
A slight improvement in health compared to a normal weekend is a fine thing to risk for the chance to win a hundred or two.
Johnsons Red Army
I shall never question the bookies again :lol: !
asl
Bloody good job we didn't need a point from this match...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yup. Watching Swansea on BT following the Newport/Pools drama.

Pools were gone, losing with Newport winning and five points behind. Then amazing turn around and safe with a minute to go. Now relegated.

Glad we never had to worry about last day nerves!
FOD_Wyman_2010
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:I think the odds are right if not a little short for our chances. We play a narrow 4-4-2 which gets exposed on large pitches such as Blackpool and Portsmouth. Portsmouth have a title to play for whereas we will be very relaxed mentally after a huge effort last week. We may rest Pelly so he doesn't get a ban next season and take an opportunity to give Bower a game to assess his development. We will likely be missing Winchester and Manny so could be a bit thin on the ground defensively if Barts isn't fit yet.

I would say that the odds are representative of our chances. A likely defeat with the job having been done last week. It could actually be quite heavy if they get an early goal or two as the result doesn't matter to us at all.
Was always the concern. Today was always going to be a recipe for disaster with the combination of relaxation, narrow formation and wide pitch.

What it does show is the requirement for an overhaul over the summer. Yes we effectively played a league one team away today but we were miles away.
kags
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:I think the odds are right if not a little short for our chances. We play a narrow 4-4-2 which gets exposed on large pitches such as Blackpool and Portsmouth. Portsmouth have a title to play for whereas we will be very relaxed mentally after a huge effort last week. We may rest Pelly so he doesn't get a ban next season and take an opportunity to give Bower a game to assess his development. We will likely be missing Winchester and Manny so could be a bit thin on the ground defensively if Barts isn't fit yet.

Was always the concern. Today was always going to be a recipe for disaster with the combination of relaxation, narrow formation and wide pitch.

What it does show is the requirement for an overhaul over the summer. Yes we effectively played a league one team away today but we were miles away.
Totally agree, if we want to be anywhere near the play offs then we have to rebuild. Hopefully confirmed to the management that certain players are not good enough to be starting every week. Can see 7/8 players out the door and 5/6 in.