Conference Play Off Final

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Artemis
My final word on them - if the arrangements for next season in L2 are anything as shambolic as those for the play-off semi final home game, then plenty will be making a single, chalk off the ground visit. Some bright spark decided to park the away supporters coaches on the road outside the ground, blocking egress from the ground and down the hill until those coaches left. Tin-pot all round. I can only imagine Swindon's supporters will make of the half-empty ground and 800 odd away tickets only policy (but unlike RCS, i'm not predisposed to say they'll wreck the joint).
The Old TomCat
Artemis wrote:My final word on them - if the arrangements for next season in L2 are anything as shambolic as those for the play-off semi final home game, then plenty will be making a single, chalk off the ground visit. Some bright spark decided to park the away supporters coaches on the road outside the ground, blocking egress from the ground and down the hill until those coaches left. Tin-pot all round. I can only imagine Swindon's supporters will make of the half-empty ground and 800 odd away tickets only policy (but unlike RCS, i'm not predisposed to say they'll wreck the joint).
I agree with most of what you say.
Feedback I heard about the coaches parking was similar to above.
Basically the whole problem is location of TNL at top of hill via a narrow single street road.
The play offs were a one off last season but as you rightly state, there will be more than a few games with similar of larger number of away fans attending games.
As I have said DV jnr does learn from experience and I'm sure the local plod and council will assist him in bettering match days.
I hope so.
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I hope Vince Junior is getting some tips on how to manage a Football League stadium, OTC. No place in the League for the ticketing farce when CTFC came to TNL two seasons ago, or the shambles surrounding Dagenham's visit in the play-offs.

Football League is not just about throwing money at players until you win, it is about being professional off the pitch and your state of mind.

I hope FGR are up for that challenge.
There were errors made a couple of years ago which I, as a mere fan, hope don't get repeated.
What I will say is that DV jnr does learn from experiences and I'm sure things will improve.
Since CTFCs last visit the council have amended/increased the number of fans allowed into ground.
So the alleged fiasco that CTFC fans endured should not need to be repeated.
Just don't be trying to get into the ground if you have a wheelchair or disability
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Artemis wrote:My final word on them - if the arrangements for next season in L2 are anything as shambolic as those for the play-off semi final home game, then plenty will be making a single, chalk off the ground visit. Some bright spark decided to park the away supporters coaches on the road outside the ground, blocking egress from the ground and down the hill until those coaches left. Tin-pot all round. I can only imagine Swindon's supporters will make of the half-empty ground and 800 odd away tickets only policy (but unlike RCS, i'm not predisposed to say they'll wreck the joint).
I agree with most of what you say.
Feedback I heard about the coaches parking was similar to above.
Basically the whole problem is location of TNL at top of hill via a narrow single street road.
The play offs were a one off last season but as you rightly state, there will be more than a few games with similar of larger number of away fans attending games.
As I have said DV jnr does learn from experience and I'm sure the local plod and council will assist him in bettering match days.
I hope so.
Why doesn't DV put on a few shuttle buses from Stroud station and Cam & Dursley station?

I have used these at other grounds for CTFC games, eg Oxford and Leeds.

I would get the train there if this was the case. And it would fit in with FGR's environmental policy. Could even use an Ecotricity branded biofuel or electric bus.
Si Robin
The Old TomCat wrote: Oldun
On the other hand I think you have to recognize that Gary is a far better option than Mr Cooper in terms of management style, experience etc. Also we have far better scouting set up and it is already in full swing whereas Mr C will only just be starting to think about assembling his journeymen for next season. It also has to be said that the rise from the conference was not especially convincing when you consider what was spent.

(Both Gary and MC are excellent managers who both have had teams promoted to EFL.
It is very debateable whether one is better than other. Two years on from when Gary became manager, CTFC are in almost same league position as when he took over.
MC has got FGR promoted in his first season. Next season will be the test, but remember MC took Swindon Town to promotion play-off to the Championship.
To claim that Gary has better scouting network than MC is pure speculation.
MC has been in game all his life and that includes periods as manager in charge of EFL clubs.
He will have built up a reservoir of contacts.
And some of his signing for FGR have been phenominally successful.
Liam Noble was considered a real challenge in the EFL and MC took him to FGR, made him captain and he is now considered best midfielder in league.
MC signed Ethan Pinnock from Dulwich Hamlet of the Ryman league and he has become best defender in Conference.
Regular first team member Manny Monthe was signed from Bath City.
MC also signed Christian Doidge, 2nd leading goal scorer in Conference. And none of them were penalties.

And of course the big advantage FGR have next season is that they won promotion from a non league that was playing to the best/highest competitive standard for over 100 years. Think of Lincoln and Sutton in FA Cup for confirmation.
It really isn't.

I would say, as would anyone with a knowledge of football, that 5 promotions, 3 as Champions of the division, far outweigh 1 promotion (via a playoff) and a playoff final.
drgm
Joycie doesn't need to shout into the PA system like he does. It's deafening. A simple announcement is good enough.
I suppose it's an attempt to create some 'atmosphere' in an empty stadium
I was there two seasons ago. He made the substitution of David Pipe sound like someone had found a cure for cancer
Ridiculous and tinpot
Red Duke
The Old TomCat wrote:
Liam Noble was considered a real challenge in the EFL and MC took him to FGR, made him captain and he is now considered best midfielder in league.
Was he the idiot who was asked to play the ball back to the keeper and put it in the corner instead? If he was him, he should be have be sent off for two yellow cards in that one incident.

1) Ungentlemanly conduct
2) Abusive to the referee / incitement to get other players booked.
little mo
Dale Vince told the BBC "winning promotion from League 2, will be easy" :) :)
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:
Just don't be trying to get into the ground if you have a wheelchair or disability
The play-off game against Dagenham ignited this discussion which led to a lot of misunderstandings.
The game was all ticket with the away supporters in West Stand where there are no seats or stand.
Those away fans who were wheelchair bound or disabled had opportunity to apply to watch game in seated area, but away from their own supporters.
There is not a wholesale FGR policy to bar disabled or wheelchair fans from TNL, but in this case the publicity machine got it wrong. Guarantee that they will learn from this experience.
The Old TomCat
Si Robin wrote:
It really isn't.

I would say, as would anyone with a knowledge of football, that 5 promotions, 3 as Champions of the division, far outweigh 1 promotion (via a playoff) and a playoff final.
Can't argue with that except that Gary was in charge when Cheltenham were relegated before getting them promoted and they are now in similar position to when he took over.
MC has got FGR promoted in one season and I don't think there is a relegation on his CV.
I said they were both good managers and don't want to make an issue out of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ralph wrote:
The play-off game against Dagenham ignited this discussion which led to a lot of misunderstandings.
The game was all ticket with the away supporters in West Stand where there are no seats or stand.
Those away fans who were wheelchair bound or disabled had opportunity to apply to watch game in seated area, but away from their own supporters.
There is not a wholesale FGR policy to bar disabled or wheelchair fans from TNL, but in this case the publicity machine got it wrong. Guarantee that they will learn from this experience.
What about those who aren't disabled or use wheelchairs but for whom standing is not an option. Thinking of people with arthritis, pregnancy, bad back, old age, etc.

The only thing to learn from the experience is in the Football League you must give seats to away fans or accept all the criticism and abuse levelled at you.

Any thoughts on my shuttle bus idea above?
The Old TomCat
Red Duke wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Was he the idiot who was asked to play the ball back to the keeper and put it in the corner instead? If he was him, he should be have be sent off for two yellow cards in that one incident.

1) Ungentlemanly conduct
3. WINNER
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Apply to watch a game of football? :roll:
Red Duke
The Old TomCat wrote:
Red Duke wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

1) Ungentlemanly conduct
3. WINNER

So he was the player. He should be starting with a ban in next season. If he continues to behave in such a manner, it would will be only a matter of time before he gets a suspension.
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Apply to watch a game of football? :roll:
Please read full sentence and don't take a few words out of context.
Ralph
OTC My comment stands. They had to apply to watch football. It don't matter where
The Old TomCat
Must go,
This evening FGR are celebrating our victory at TNL.
I will be there.
http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... e_players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
everyman
The Old TomCat wrote:Must go,
I will be there.
http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... e_players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would be grateful if you were to stop posting on this site,you are just promoting D.V.`s project and we are not interested.I also believe you surreptitiously trying to s*** stir,so shut up ! OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT ?
longmover
Anyone notice a very awkward handshake between DV and Cooper at the end of the game?
nitram82
Dale Vince is utterly disrespectful on insisting promotion to league 1 is easy! In fact, he is just about the most disrespectful man in charge of a football club, or one of them, I can think of. Forcing his own beliefs on his own fans, belittling the quality of league 2 before his team have kicked a ball in it, and making disabled fans of oppositon teams apply to attend the home section? The man is a disgrace and so are you old tomcat and I respectfully ask you to leave our forum!
Ralph
nitram82 wrote:Dale Vince is utterly disrespectful on insisting promotion to league 1 is easy! In fact, he is just about the most disrespectful man in charge of a football club, or one of them, I can think of. Forcing his own beliefs on his own fans, belittling the quality of league 2 before his team have kicked a ball in it, and making disabled fans of oppositon teams apply to attend the home section? The man is a disgrace and so are you old tomcat and I respectfully ask you to leave our forum!
I'll second that and actually i'll be the third to suggest that OTC stays on his own forum as we are not allowed on theirs.
The Old TomCat
everyman wrote:
I will be there.
I would be grateful if you were to stop posting on this site,you are just promoting D.V.`s project and we are not interested.I also believe you surreptitiously trying to s*** stir,so shut up ! OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT ?
Yep, will do.
I'll let you guys alone.
But the fact is that it is your own subscribers that are ALWAYS writing about FGR.
Anyway now that both clubs are in same division, it is best that I stop writing.
I will continue reading this forum and responding under an alias.
Good luck to Cheltenham Town next season, but FGR will have better season. Guaranteed.
Goodbye.
Ralph
Hang on, you say "goodbye" and then say you are going to carry on posting under the alias, it's just the same thing and you do have a certain writing style. Time for a clean break OTC. Go post on your own insanely regulated and moderated Ecotricity marketing forum. Cheers !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If OTC is really leaving the RNF, then time for me to end this charade.

I actually like FGR and Dale Vince. I agree with his ethos and have been an Ecotricity customer for five years - it was the first thing we did when we bought our own house. I'm pleased they got promoted.

I look forward to visiting the New Lawn this season, and a new stadium in the future, and hope that this puts Gloucestershire football on the map a bit more.

Up The Shire!
theidlerich
So RCS you are subsidising Forest Green!! I suspect that one mistake they won't make is to retain all their current squad which is where we went hopelessly wrong; and I also suspect they may well be in the running for play-offs as £ no object :(.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote: I suspect that one mistake they won't make is to retain all their current squad which is where we went hopelessly wrong.
Completely different situation. What we did was right - without the promise from GJ we would never have got a squad determined to get promoted. Getting promoted was essential, as was keeping the oath. It was a two year job to get up and stay up and that was done.

FGR are different - they recruit using money, not by making promises
Shade
Any team that has lost £7.5m in the 3 previous years trying to buy their way into the League doesn't deserve to be in the League, imo.

I have nothing against OTC but some of the tripe he's posted in this thread is, quite frankly, comedic and smacks of a kid that is over-excited and blinkered.

FGR will soon be seen at the RB Leipzig of English football - a club that has come from nowhere that is buying its way through the League and is universally hated by everyone else.
Artemis
Shade wrote:Any team that has lost £7.5m in the 3 previous years trying to buy their way into the League doesn't deserve to be in the League, imo.

I have nothing against OTC but some of the tripe he's posted in this thread is, quite frankly, comedic and smacks of a kid that is over-excited and blinkered.

FGR will soon be seen at the RB Leipzig of English football - a club that has come from nowhere that is buying its way through the League and is universally hated by everyone else.
Within football, yes. Trouble is, they are the media's new darlings and will stay that way until it all goes tits up. Which it will at some point - the whole thing is simply not sustainable. Ironic, given the much vaunted "sustainability in football" adorning TNL.
everyman
The Old TomCat wrote:
everyman wrote:
I will be there.
Yep, will do.
I'll let you guys alone.
But the fact is that it is your own subscribers that are ALWAYS writing about FGR.
Anyway now that both clubs are in same division, it is best that I stop writing.
I will continue reading this forum and responding under an alias.
Good luck to Cheltenham Town next season, but FGR will have better season. Guaranteed.
Goodbye.
La la la la la na na na na? grow up you twat !
Ralph
Shade wrote:Any team that has lost £7.5m in the 3 previous years trying to buy their way into the League doesn't deserve to be in the League, imo.

This is why i have taken such a disliking to FGR and OTC. Agree with all you put Shade.
OTC has just been DV and Mini DV's mouthpiece.
If and when the new stadium gets built, there is probably a good chance they will become Ecotricity FC officially. They won't be FGR anymore (RIP Forest Green) as that will be the day the club dies
everyman
Ralph wrote:

This is why i have taken such a disliking to FGR and OTC. Agree with all you put Shade.
OTC has just been DV and Mini DV's mouthpiece.
If and when the new stadium gets built, there is probably a good chance they will become Ecotricity FC officially. They won't be FGR anymore (RIP Forest Green) as that will be the day the club dies
I like many of our fans used to enjoy having F.G.R.as our good neighbours,even when they occasionally beat us,and indeed i liked to watch them when i could,but they are a different and less friendly club now.