And so it begins...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On Radio 4 sports news today. A quick recap on Premier League, then talking about "a remarkable story", "based in Nailsworth with a population of 6,000", with an "ambitious owner", run as an "environmentally friendly club", who will "bring something different to the Football League".
Nesty
we always seemed to duck under the radar especially during our meteoric rise from Dr Martens to League 1 , even then it was "GCHQ blah blah Gold Cup blah blah" Bitter ? me ? YES !! having had to endure Motson and Hereford etc it would have been nice to get a mention. But hey ho we know we have done it and thats the main thing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -off-final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darreno
What's worse is that my eyes will be 'polluted' by that hideous fluorescent green jersey every week when watching the highlights show! Do they think it's an environmentally friendly colour or something? I think not!
Shade
darreno wrote:What's worse is that my eyes will be 'polluted' by that hideous fluorescent green jersey every week when watching the highlights show! Do they think it's an environmentally friendly colour or something? I think not!
Whatever sticks out the most for brand Ecotricity.
Reginald
And there's just been a feature report on them on BBC Radio 4's "World at One"....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reginald wrote:And there's just been a feature report on them on BBC Radio 4's "World at One"....
It will only get worse during the season.
Horteng
Are we really that bothered?

Worry about ourselves and get over them
Nham68
Horteng wrote:Are we really that bothered?

Exactly. Why is everyone so bitter ? This is like the jeleous sibling when the new baby comes along. Grow a pair people ....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Vince has got Cooper well briefed on how to make subtle digs at CTFC:

"We've got some great games, Newport, Swindon, some big crowds, Coventry, so it will be fun getting them up that hill, that's for certain," said Cooper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39923153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
Cooper wont be there next season
Uppy
It's hardly the against the odds fairytale story that the news seem to be running with. They spend more money than most in league 2 and are losing millions every year. Not sure it's something to be applauded.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nham68 wrote:

Exactly. Why is everyone so bitter ? This is like the jeleous sibling when the new baby comes along. Grow a pair people ....
No mate, you are so wrong on this one. It is not about jealousy or bitterness, it is about the long-term survival of CTFC as a League side.

We are all aware of the need for a new stand and new sponsorship and off the pitch revenue. This was always difficult even when the only league side and biggest exposure in the County. Already thanks to the media coverage FGR would be a better bet for local businesses wanting to advertise at football. And if they go up a league or two with a new stadium then we may never be able to compete with them on that front. No business will want to invest in an old L2 ground in Whaddon when there is a new L1 or Championship stadium down the road as part of a business complex.

I think it is imperative we have a new stand before they get promoted to keep our heads above water. I cannot see both Gloucestershire sides being in the League after 5-10 years and we need to act to make sure it us who survive, not them.

If we decline and drop out of the league after that time then we won't be back. The national press already act like FGR are the only League side in Gloucestershire. We can't let that become reality and I hope this is why Baker stayed on: to try and take us to the next level before it is too late.

That is why fans of CTFC are bothered and worried.
arobinsfan
It's Gloucester City that needs to worry about FGR. Once they are on junction 13 (Stroud Water) I think DV will have a name change from FGR to some thing like Glos County, watch this space.
Nham68
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nham68 wrote:

No mate, you are so wrong on this one. It is not about jealousy or bitterness, it is about the long-term survival of CTFC as a League side.

We are all aware of the need for a new stand and new sponsorship and off the pitch revenue. This was always difficult even when the only league side and biggest exposure in the County. Already thanks to the media coverage FGR would be a better bet for local businesses wanting to advertise at football. And if they go up a league or two with a new stadium then we may never be able to compete with them on that front. No business will want to invest in an old L2 ground in Whaddon when there is a new L1 or Championship stadium down the road as part of a business complex.

I think it is imperative we have a new stand before they get promoted to keep our heads above water. I cannot see both Gloucestershire sides being in the League after 5-10 years and we need to act to make sure it us who survive, not them.

If we decline and drop out of the league after that time then we won't be back. The national press already act like FGR are the only League side in Gloucestershire. We can't let that become reality and I hope this is why Baker stayed on: to try and take us to the next level before it is too late.

That is why fans of CTFC are bothered and worried.
The country is littered with clubs competing at the same level in adjacent towns.. We have a solid fan base / catchment with local sponsors ... we are 40 mins away.. our survival is based on economic prudence, good management and ensuring we retain / grow the home supporter average attendance to 3.5-4 k. I'm sure there are some small effects from what happens down the road... but it's not life or death in that matter .
little mo
Big piece in Daily Mail about them today. Vince getting loads of free publicity. Cooper saying its a miracle for a club of that size to get in football league. No mention that they spent 1.75m on agents alone last year, so god knows what they spent on players and their wages. Some flipping miracle that is. :lol: :lol:
Ralph
little mo wrote:Big piece in Daily Mail about them today. Vince getting loads of free publicity. Cooper saying its a miracle for a club of that size to get in football league. No mention that they spent 1.75m on agents alone last year, so god knows what they spent on players and their wages. Some flipping miracle that is. :lol: :lol:
175k i think
Reginald
little mo wrote:Big piece in Daily Mail about them today. Vince getting loads of free publicity. Cooper saying its a miracle for a club of that size to get in football league. No mention that they spent 1.75m on agents alone last year, so god knows what they spent on players and their wages. Some flipping miracle that is. :lol: :lol:
Also an article in today's "i" newspaper. Same sort of themes as elsewhere. It'll surely soon die off until the first week of the new season - when hopefully the on the pitch action will take priority, and all the hype will tail off...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reginald wrote:
Also an article in today's "i" newspaper. Same sort of themes as elsewhere. It'll surely soon die off until the first week of the new season - when hopefully the on the pitch action will take priority, and all the hype will tail off...
I guess the length of hype depends on what deal Vince has made with the papers.

As a growing energy company, Ecotricity will have a growing advertising budget, and newspapers are increasingly reliant on advertising from large businesses. No doubt the papers have been made well aware that if they give Ecotricity and FGR some free advertising now, it may work in their favour when the Ecotricity commercial team decide where to buy advertising space in the future.
horlickfanclub
Financially it is much better for our club to have Forest Green rather than Tranmere in Div 2. That doesn't seem to matter to some of our "supporters". I hope they are not the same names who will be calling for more players to be signed on and an increased budget. Forest Greens promotion is worth a five figure sum to us and for that reason I am pleased to see them promoted.
Coops
horlickfanclub wrote:Financially it is much better for our club to have Forest Green rather than Tranmere in Div 2. That doesn't seem to matter to some of our "supporters". I hope they are not the same names who will be calling for more players to be signed on and an increased budget. Forest Greens promotion is worth a five figure sum to us and for that reason I am pleased to see them promoted.
Please explain how you have arrived at this conclusion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Coops wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Financially it is much better for our club to have Forest Green rather than Tranmere in Div 2. That doesn't seem to matter to some of our "supporters". I hope they are not the same names who will be calling for more players to be signed on and an increased budget. Forest Greens promotion is worth a five figure sum to us and for that reason I am pleased to see them promoted.
Please explain how you have arrived at this conclusion.
I would argue the Swindon mob provide more of a financial boost to CTFC than FGR, even after taking into account the additional police costs and clean-up costs after the mob cause damage to WR and other parts of the town.
horlickfanclub
Cost savings on squad travel to Tranmere assuming an overnight stay. Additional match day revenue from the home game.
Supporters will also save on travel costs.

Swindon was not a part of my comment.
Coops
horlickfanclub wrote:Cost savings on squad travel to Tranmere assuming an overnight stay. Additional match day revenue from the home game.
Supporters will also save on travel costs.
First point accepted.
I would have thought that Tranmere and FGR
would have brought similar numbers to Whaddon Road.
Supporters saving on travel costs is not a financial advantage to CTFC.
everyman
Nham68 wrote:

Every right to be jealous when the sibling gets both "breasts" ?
Shade
I think 3 days is long enough to be so focussed on a our quiet neighbours. I think it's time to focus on ourselves again, personally.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Close the thread, mods.
Ralph
sure