Sean Newton

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
Stroud papers have an article about our interest in Sean Newton of York City. He could be our new left back.
Robin
Interesting clearly need to see how good he is first but a little concerning we are signing players relegated out of the conference!

I remember the name now, he played against us for Wrexham and did well if I recall, potentially MotM, at 28 years old I feel we need better than conference journey men though.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... n/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOejLwIGfE8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

takes a mean free kick
theidlerich
Beginning to be a little concerned; shouldn't we be looking at real potential that hasn't had the opportunity at Lg 1/2 to break in to their main squads? We've already seen how conference and cast-off lg2's fare at this level!
everyman
theidlerich wrote:Beginning to be a little concerned; shouldn't we be looking at real potential that hasn't had the opportunity at Lg 1/2 to break in to their main squads? We've already seen how conference and cast-off lg2's fare at this level!
G.J. Suggested he wanted some div1 quality,what`s he got up his sleeve ?
CTFC03
A quality LB is key to a good season due to a lot of clubs having at least one decent right winger.
paperboy
I'm hoping we are trying to keep Cranston as a squad player and a first choice is on the way.
So either we've offered him rubbish wages or he's concerned about that too.
Rulistening
This is the exact sort of player we should NOT be chasing.. Honestly we are asking for trouble here. Grimes got mixed reviews at best from DOVER fans.. now we want someone who got relegated from the conference..

I was excited for this season coming up but if we keep chasing after players like this that will quickly fade. What are we doing.
paperboy
....taking a few gambles on National league players to bolster the squad.
If we're signing about ten players there'll be a mix of tried and tested,a few punts and a few loanees.
Rulistening
paperboy wrote:....taking a few gambles on National league players to bolster the squad.
If we're signing about ten players there'll be a mix of tried and tested,a few punts and a few loanees.
Yeah I see that side of it but the quality of the punts is my issue
little mo
Rulistening wrote:This is the exact sort of player we should NOT be chasing.. Honestly we are asking for trouble here. Grimes got mixed reviews at best from DOVER fans.. now we want someone who got relegated from the conference..

I was excited for this season coming up but if we keep chasing after players like this that will quickly fade. What are we doing.
Serious question this,i am not trying to be funny but, how many times have you seen Grimes or Newton play.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:
paperboy wrote:....taking a few gambles on National league players to bolster the squad.
Yeah I see that side of it but the quality of the punts is my issue
Dawson?
I-Love-CTFC
Let's hope some of the other new additions are of the same ilk as Dawson.
Nesty
Are we forgetting that Cotterill's L2 winning side was full of players he dragged kicking and screaming from Conference sides?
horlickfanclub
Pell, Storer, Waters ,Wright all " League2 /conference castoffs" did not do too badly.
Robin
There is a certain irony that people who complained about not adding more experienced and league tested players last season are now suggesting signing conference players is the way forward.

I'm ok with taking the odd punt on non-league players but it needs to be the exception rather than the rule as more often than not they don't seem to make the step up see Vaughan, CBB, Parslow, AMS etc. all good conference players but not up to league two.
Oldun
Here we go again! The resident whingers complaining about a guy
a) we may not even have any interest in at all, let alone
b) sign, even though if we do
c)we know nothing about his ability to play in the league. It could even be that if he did sign
d) GJ's intention is to have him not as a regular starter but rather a bench man.

After the good old Stroud News is a major contributor to the media knowhow in the UK.

Finally Robin, surely you are not really suggesting that Vaughan and CBB were ever National Conference standard? Pars was, but even Omari struggled to hold down a place in our championship winning team. Not sure mentioning those guys did your argument a favour at all!
Nesty
Robin wrote:There is a certain irony that people who complained about not adding more experienced and league tested players last season are now suggesting signing conference players is the way forward.

I'm ok with taking the odd punt on non-league players but it needs to be the exception rather than the rule as more often than not they don't seem to make the step up see Vaughan, CBB, Parslow, AMS etc. all good conference players but not up to league two.
its all about striking a balance between what we would like and what we can afford, so we have to sign a mix of players from what is available and affordable, given the current economic climate and the transfer rules and regulations that dictate we have to start the two halves of the season with the players we have.
Robin
This may not be a popular opinion but Vaughan was in the conference team of the year when we signed him and he's established himself at Tranmere. CBB was at a play off challenging team. Jennings was another, he was left back in the team of the year but dreadful in league two, drops down and doing well at Wrexham.
theidlerich
......."Pell, Storer, Waters ,Wright all " League2 /conference castoffs" did not do too badly."............well the first three did!
Rulistening
little mo wrote:
Rulistening wrote:This is the exact sort of player we should NOT be chasing.. Honestly we are asking for trouble here. Grimes got mixed reviews at best from DOVER fans.. now we want someone who got relegated from the conference..

Serious question this,i am not trying to be funny but, how many times have you seen Grimes or Newton play.
Until today No! Newton seems to have done alright for himself today, this is the sort of situation where id love to be proven wrong about players though. All I was saying is that we seem to be aiming a bit "lower" than expected with who we have been making moves for. Of course its hard to say awful signing etc before they have put on the cheltenham shirt and put in a few performances. But I'm simply concerned if we keep signing "mixed reviewed" conference players we are going to struggle. Just concerned is all :D

(EDIT) Dawson is a great signing but i never questioned that in my post. was just curious about Grimes and the linked signing of Newton
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just trust Gary. Two years ago Gary was given a two year contract up to rebuild a squad to get us up and keep us up. He did that easily and now has another two year contract to do the same. No evidence that we can not look forward to this happening.
drgm
Early days I know but the problem last season was not augmenting our National League winning squad with tried and proven
players of League 2 standard. We seem to be repeating this mistake. Some on here are happy to sign 'squad players' and 'benchwarmers' but
signing these sort of players is easy. Signing league 2 standard players seems to be more difficult.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Early days I know but the problem last season was not augmenting our National League winning squad with tried and proven
players of League 2 standard. We seem to be repeating this mistake. Some on here are happy to sign 'squad players' and 'benchwarmers' but
signing these sort of players is easy. Signing league 2 standard players seems to be more difficult.
We have signed two players. One of whom, Dawson, has Championship and L1 experience. So not doing too badly. As you say, early doors, so no need to get so worked up yet.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
drgm wrote:Early days I know but the problem last season was not augmenting our National League winning squad with tried and proven
We have signed two players. One of whom, Dawson, has Championship and L1 experience. So not doing too badly. As you say, early doors, so no need to get so worked up yet.
Experience is one thing, but surely its the quality we want and until they've played a few games, that's just going reputation and heresay. So for me, the jury is out on both players we've signed, and indeed any other players we do sign, until they've actually played a game or five.
To illustrate my point about heresay and reputation, I recall Matt Taylor, Matt Richards et al were highly experienced league players and look how that turned out. Conversely, Sido Jombati was plucked from Bath City, and he did alright for us.
Nesty
Artemis wrote:
Experience is one thing, but surely its the quality we want and until they've played a few games, that's just going reputation and heresay. So for me, the jury is out on both players we've signed, and indeed any other players we do sign, until they've actually played a game or five.
To illustrate my point about heresay and reputation, I recall Matt Taylor, Matt Richards et al were highly experienced league players and look how that turned out. Conversely, Sido Jombati was plucked from Bath City, and he did alright for us.
precisely, look at Southampton under McMenemy - bargain basement signings moulded into a team, Yes - I was one who bemoaned the lack of enough quality signings last summer - but we signed no experience whatsoever. We cannot afford to sign 11 or so players all with L1/L2 experience, I suspect we will sign a mix of experience and players with ambition to do well at this level
Robin
I don't understand this "we cannot afford better players" by all accounts we have a reasonable and solid mid-table budget for this division and in the past we've been ale to sign proven league players so what's changed?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
Richards and the Taylors were rejects - released by clubs whose manager and fans did not want them. Dawson is an in demand player, who chose us ahead of others due to Gary Johnson. A class above Richards etc.
Robin
Also Grimes had an offer from a South East based football league club (rumored to be Crawley) so again an in demand player.
Artemis
Whether they are in demand, experienced or whatever, I will wait to make any judgement at all (let alone a final one) on any of signings until they've played a game or five - I won't be getting overly excited if we sign Jermaine Defoe, nor despondent if we sign some guy from Tiverton Town (just an example, could be any Tier 6 or below club).
paperboy
Up dated article from JP

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... city-70121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I really do wonder if half the people on this forum are just on a wind-up. Surely they can't mean half the stuff they say.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:I really do wonder if half the people on this forum are just on a wind-up. Surely they can't mean half the stuff they say.

As much as half? More like 10%!!
Shade
10% of the people or 10% of what they say? :lol:
Nesty
Some people fail to see the Gravity of the situation