GJ on Cranston/other players staying

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/CranstonCritics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kags
Find the comment about athleticism interesting, was getting ripped apart by defenders over 5 yards last season :lol:
Robin
Interesting that Davis is set to sign for Crewe as well yet we keep Cranston...
everyman
kags wrote:Find the comment about athleticism interesting, was getting ripped apart by defenders over 5 yards last season :lol:
I can see the good player in Cranston,but he doesn`t always show it,Gary must improve his self belief.
paperboy
Cranston surprised many of us at the start of last season with some good performances but deteriorated thereafter and agree that I also find GJs comment about his athleticism bewildering.
...now if he'd been talking about George McLennan...
Shade
Just use him on the left wing. I can defend better than him and I'm 2 stone overweight and have one knee.
Robin
He's just not a winger though, he has no dribbling skills and fairly average crossing ability.
CTFC03
He is absolutely sh!te Gary, you've got to have a good LB in L2 to have a chance of being successful, Cranston should have been paid off in January, he is terrible (but we have had worse LB's) and we had slightly improved results with Davis in there instead, I really hope he does not sign, nothing against the lad at all he's just not good enough for L2.

Davis would be a quality signing for anyone in this league!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I'm happy to go with Gary on this one ahead of RNF posters, unless any of them have as a good a track record as him.
Nesty
I just hope Mr Cranston will go on to silence his knockers.
Shade
Nesty wrote:I just hope Mr Cranston will go on to silence his knockers.
I would be bloody delighted if he does. However, it'll be just a matter of minutes into his first game that he gets caught out of position to either let someone score/assist or gets booked for dragging his man down as he eases past him.

GJ is right, he is marmite but it's not love or hate, it's tolerate or hate (as a left back).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Nesty wrote:I just hope Mr Cranston will go on to silence his knockers.
I would be bloody delighted if he does. However, it'll be just a matter of minutes into his first game that he gets caught out of position to either let someone score/assist or gets booked for dragging his man down as he eases past him.

GJ is right, he is marmite but it's not love or hate, it's tolerate or hate (as a left back).
Indeed. Experienced and successful football manager with several promotiond tolerates him. A bunch of fans hate him. I'll side with Gary on this one.
horlickfanclub
I won't. We need better and that was obvious last season. Why did we sign Davis if Cranston was the answer? Inconsistent from the Manager.
Nesty
every player needs competition for his place, I would hope GJ will be signing another left sided defender
Artemis
We have another LB in O'shockers. His unavailability and a one off donation to extend the budget were the reasons we signed Davis. I expect he's too expensive for us now / GJ has opted to spend the money elsewhere.
paperboy
Artemis wrote:We have another LB in O'shockers. His unavailability and a one off donation to extend the budget were the reasons we signed Davis. I expect he's too expensive for us now / GJ has opted to spend the money elsewhere.
...I thought cost might have been a factor plus he's more of a Londoner I thought, so Crewe would seem an odd rumour
THECHOIRBOY
Crewe are also rumoured to be signing 37 year old Wes Brown on a 2 year contract!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:every player needs competition for his place, I would hope GJ will be signing another left sided defender
That is a given - we will have at least two LBs in the squad.

Gary may only be wanting Cranston as second choice for all we know - though obviously fans like Horlick can't think that far ahead.
horlickfanclub
Fans like Horlick fall about laughing that someone might be offered a contract to be " second choice". Second choice could become first choice if someone does an Asa in the first game and in the team until January. Not much competition if you sign someone as "second choice".
Del Boy
horlickfanclub wrote:Fans like Horlick fall about laughing that someone might be offered a contract to be " second choice". Second choice could become first choice if someone does an Asa in the first game and in the team until January. Not much competition if you sign someone as "second choice".
Don't panic Gary Johnson has far more experience than you or I so we're not allowed to question anything he does. Like sign players to be back-up. It's what he did last year - sign players he knew weren't as good as the one's we had as he didn't want to upset anyone. Or so we're told.

And that went well. So, like I say, don't you go saying a player isn't good enough for a club hoping to be better than fourth bottom even if he's proved it over and over again last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Fans like Horlick fall about laughing that someone might be offered a contract to be " second choice". Second choice could become first choice if someone does an Asa in the first game and in the team until January. Not much competition if you sign someone as "second choice".
Don't panic Gary Johnson has far more experience than you or I so we're not allowed to question anything he does. Like sign players to be back-up. It's what he did last year - sign players he knew weren't as good as the one's we had as he didn't want to upset anyone. Or so we're told.

And that went well. So, like I say, don't you go saying a player isn't good enough for a club hoping to be better than fourth bottom even if he's proved it over and over again last season.
Went fine: the brief was to get up and stay up. That was achieved. Now the brief is get up and stay up.
kags
Gary's judgement wasn't particularly on point with James Jennings, hopefully better this summer.