New keeper signs

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/KeeperIN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Read all about Jon Flatt signing for the season on the official ctfc.com website here:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2017/june/flatt-signing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
welcome back Jon
Shade
Flatt's back but will he have Flatt's back four?

Solid enough signing. Better than Griffiths, imo. Hopefully better than last time he was here too, with another year under his belt.
Last edited by Shade on 27 Jun 2017, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Circa 1887
Jon Palmer wrote:http://bit.ly/KeeperIN
Cheers Jon, I look forward to another season of your coverage. Hoping to see CTFC filing more pages than FGR though.
Robin
Well done on another scoop Jon.

I would echo what Shade said in that Flatt is better than Griffiths however for me he's not the top league two keeper that Scotty/Dillon are, hopefully he's improved on his loan here and can make the step up to league two.
Johnsons Red Army
Very happy with this signing.

Welcome back Flatty!
horlickfanclub
Looked good when he was here before so onwards and upwards.
Artemis
Personally, I rated him more highly than Dillon Phillips as a keeper. Phillips has the personality, and thus the cult hero status.

Welcome back Jon Flatt.
thetonga
So last season we decide to bring hardly anyone in and give an opportunity to our "Champions" only for them to not quite be up to the standard and subsequently we release most of them. Now we go back and sign another "Champion" who has never played in the league!!

I must say that the summer recruitment is very worrying. I will be delighted if Johnson proves me wrong but given we have sold over 1,000 season tickets, I am not sure where that money is going as it doesn't appear to be spent on the playing budget.

So far we have signed 1 solid league player, 1 player who was relegated last year and two players who have no league experience whatsoever. Any talk of play offs needs to be forgotten unless things change fast!
MittonRobin
thetonga wrote:So last season we decide to bring hardly anyone in and give an opportunity to our "Champions" only for them to not quite be up to the standard and subsequently we release most of them. Now we go back and sign another "Champion" who has never played in the league!!

I must say that the summer recruitment is very worrying. I will be delighted if Johnson proves me wrong but given we have sold over 1,000 season tickets, I am not sure where that money is going as it doesn't appear to be spent on the playing budget.

So far we have signed 1 solid league player, 1 player who was relegated last year and two players who have no league experience whatsoever. Any talk of play offs needs to be forgotten unless things change fast!
Totally agree with this! These signings are not making me jump with joy at the minute !
Robin
I agree Tonga, summer recruitment hasn't gone as desired so far. I like the look of Dawson and I believe with Winchester/Boyle/Pell he gives us the nucleus of a good league two team however there are question marks over the rest of the squad. Flatt hasn't played at league level and didn't really inspire (without doing much wrong either) during his first loan spell. Storer showed glimpses last year but discipline is a problem. Big Nige is best coming off the bench according to my Pompey supporting friend (he's solid at this level though apparently). Holman failed to spark for most of last season and really needs to prove himself, Wright I felt struggled but is fine from the bench as competition for a better target man. Cranston another who struggled and was lucky to get a deal in my opinion, that's half a team who need to prove themselves.

At this moment in time I fear a bottom half finish (although I suspect we will not get dragged into any scrap at the bottom) let's hope GJ can prove us wrong.
everyman
Robin wrote:I agree Tonga, summer recruitment hasn't gone as desired so far. I like the look of Dawson and I believe with Winchester/Boyle/Pell he gives us the nucleus of a good league two team however there are question marks over the rest of the squad. Flatt hasn't played at league level and didn't really inspire (without doing much wrong either) during his first loan spell. Storer showed glimpses last year but discipline is a problem. Big Nige is best coming off the bench according to my Pompey supporting friend (he's solid at this level though apparently). Holman failed to spark for most of last season and really needs to prove himself, Wright I felt struggled but is fine from the bench as competition for a better target man. Cranston another who struggled and was lucky to get a deal in my opinion, that's half a team who need to prove themselves.

At this moment in time I fear a bottom half finish (although I suspect we will not get dragged into any scrap at the bottom) let's hope GJ can prove us wrong.
G.J. said he wanted 2/3 div.1 quality players it`s unlikely.
Robin
There is potentially an argument for Dawson being one of those and we need at least one proven striker to come in I feel and that should make a big difference.
Artemis
I cast my mind back to Cotts' play-off promotion winning squad. Tony Naylor and Lee Williams were very late additions to that squad.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:There is potentially an argument for Dawson being one of those and we need at least one proven striker to come in I feel and that should make a big difference.
More than a potential argument. Dawson was part of the Yeovil team who got promoted to the Championship and played for them at that level. We'll be doing well to get anyone at his stage of his career with as much experience.