how many more signings ? and what positions ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

theidlerich
Without wishing to be pessimistic so early in the pre-season friendlies, I wonder whether the 'J' brothers are being a little myopic in not seeing that we desperately need a new forward line that is productive. It's getting rather late to acquire quality. Concerned.
Robin
I'm still expecting 3-4 new faces to come in upfront and on the flanks, hopefully all business is done before Weston so the team can get used to each other.
leohoenig
Just seen Rakish Bingham play 90 minutes for Hamilton Academical
How did he ever get a trial for us, or even score against us?
He did hit the net from six yards out with no defenders, but only because they had put one above the stand.

On the way home from East Kilbride #atw90
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Just seen Rakish Bingham play 90 minutes for Hamilton Academical
How did he ever get a trial for us, or even score against us?
He did hit the net from six yards out with no defenders, but only because they had put one above the stand.

On the way home from East Kilbride #atw90
Found his level at Hamilton by the sounds of it.
Nesty
theidlerich wrote:Without wishing to be pessimistic so early in the pre-season friendlies, I wonder whether the 'J' brothers are being a little myopic in not seeing that we desperately need a new forward line that is productive. It's getting rather late to acquire quality. Concerned.
agreed
Nesty
Bump

10 days on ............ how many do we need ?? !! I would think 2 more also to replace those leaving. Answers on a postcard ........
Robin
2 strikers and 2 flank players (wingers/full backs), we may need a centre half if Downes retires or Bower goes out on loan as expected too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:Bump

10 days on ............ how many do we need ?? !! I would think 2 more also to replace those leaving. Answers on a postcard ........
Still need two RBs, a LB, at least one striker, two LMs. Until we have two players in the squad for every position, the squad will be classed as incomplete.
Robin
Adam Page plays left midfield and we know GJ doesn't like playing 4-4-2.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Adam Page plays left midfield and we know GJ doesn't like playing 4-4-2.
So if we go 5-3-2 then we need six CMs...Winni, Pell, Dawson, Anatanga, Stoz...? And then wing backs and CBs.

Either 4-4-2 or 5-3-2, we have not got the numbers.
Robin
We've played 5-3-2 the majority of the time under GJ. With that formation you need at least five central midfielders this is why it's clear Dawson most likely will play at right wing back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:We've played 5-3-2 the majority of the time under GJ. With that formation you need at least five central midfielders this is why it's clear Dawson most likely will play at right wing back.
Ok, so then we need at least five CMs (I would argue six), and two RWBs.

Please name those seven players?

I can name:
Winchester
Dawson
Pell
Storer
Anatanga

We are still short which ever way you cut it.
confused.com
Haven't seen Dawson play yet, but he must be some machine if he is so vital to our midfield. At times on Tuesday it was hard to make out what formation we were playing. If it was 5 3 2, the 5 and the 3 were somewhat fluid
Nesty
bump.

how many more players do we need / how many are we likely to get?
Fuller
Nesty wrote:bump.

how many more players do we need / how many are we likely to get?
Four/One.
CTFCfan99
Need a RB, LB, and personally would like to see another wide player.
Artemis
Isn't Jordan Mustoe inked in for the LB berth (assuming his injury clears up)? In which case, I expect an RB to come in - Brian Wilson anyone - and / or another RB come CB.
Robin
Don't rule out Holman leaving and us signing another striker.
Benctfc
I have been backing Holman all pre season and last year when people wrote him off but there comes a point when it may be best for everyone to move on. I would imagine he is on one of the higher wages too after his succesful season in the conference.
Rulistening
I think give him till January (Holman) to see if he can find his form again. He was absolutely untouchable in the conference and injuries just ruined his momentum and drained his confidence. I do agree not much longer can be given to him as right now he is a waste of a striker spot for the club. So January to see if he can find his old form and if not bin him to a conference side

As for signings Mustoe will sign when he's fit id imagine- just need a RB and potentially another midfielder incase of injuries and i think we're set
Robin
Surely midfield is where we are most stocked with Pell, Storer, Atangana, Dawson, Thomas and Sellars competing for three spots?
RubyRedRobin
Robin wrote:Surely midfield is where we are most stocked with Pell, Storer, Atangana, Dawson, Thomas and Sellars competing for three spots?
You forget Winchester too, just to add to your point.
Having said that, apart from Mo we don't really have a speed demon in the squad. Maybe an out and out winger would be useful?.
horlickfanclub
Left back and Mo's brother on the wing.
Rulistening
Robin wrote:Surely midfield is where we are most stocked with Pell, Storer, Atangana, Dawson, Thomas and Sellars competing for three spots?
Sorry wasnt specific enough, I meant a winger (hopefully who can play CM also though) especially as Sellars is facing a spell out on the sidelines. Dawson can play centrally and on the wing but i still think perhaps another player like Dawson who can play both can round out the midfield for the season
Robin
GJ has confirmed two players to come in a striker and a left back (likely to be Mustoe), he is happy with his options at right back so it seems any potential deal for Brian Wilson is off.
Shade
Robin wrote:so it seems any potential deal for Brian Wilson is off.
The rumour mill got it wrong again, you mean.
Robin
Quite possibly Shade as it seems the former player was/is Dillon Phillips.
Nesty
despite Johnson saying we need 3 or 4 not long ago, he is now saying just two http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... ham-333524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we struggle to name a bench as it is and with Page now out on loan it beggars belief
Fuller
Perhaps the budget is now spent Nesty and the FFP rules come in to it too.

Or perhaps Gary is keeping some money back for another dip in January ?

Who knows ?
Andy
Nesty wrote:despite Johnson saying we need 3 or 4 not long ago, he is now saying just two
But 3 minus 1 signing (Graham) is 2 or did he say it after that signing?

I do however agree squad does appear light from what we originally were being told and I still think there are 1 or 2 more that need clearing out.

Has Page gone on loan. Not seen that officially yet but may have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nesty
Andy wrote:
Nesty wrote:despite Johnson saying we need 3 or 4 not long ago, he is now saying just two
But 3 minus 1 signing (Graham) is 2 or did he say it after that signing?

I do however agree squad does appear light from what we originally were being told and I still think there are 1 or 2 more that need clearing out.

Has Page gone on loan. Not seen that officially yet but may have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if we needed 3 then Graham in, Page out so we still need 3
Shade
But he was talking about first team players and Page obviously isn't considered a first team player, so we still need two.
Nesty
What I am worried about is the lack of width up front, we have nobody with any pace on the wings and we need cover for full backs without us resorting to square peg sysndrome
Nesty
BUMP

how many ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We still need two right backs, two wide men, and now an emergency CB assuming Forster is out for the season.

If Stoz is happy to bench warm we are fine in CM, if he leaves then we need a CM to replace him as we need four in the squad.