how many more signings ? and what positions ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
how many more signings will GJ make, what positions and will they be permanents or loans?
Robin
I'm expecting three loans, one permanent signing and maybe a trialist based upon GJ's interviews. You would think that's two forwards, a creative midfielder and a right back.
asl
Can't see us signing another midfielder.
Shade
Three loans, one permanent. Right back, 2 strikers, wide attacker/hole player. If a trialist impresses and doesn't cost too much, maybe one of those too.
Robin
asl wrote:Can't see us signing another midfielder.
Where is the creativity if Winchester gets injured though? Need to replace Dayton/Munns with someone I feel.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garita, another striker, then an RB/LB and a creative mid.
horlickfanclub
No more central midfielders thank you.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:No more central midfielders thank you.
Name our creative midfielders then...
Artemis
Pell, Winchester - haven't seen Atangana or Dawson play yet so can't comment on their creativity.
Could do with a winger with a decent left peg though
Robin
Dawson plays right wing back though Artemis not central midfield although I understand he can play there if needed. Pell and Atagana are not creative players they are there to break up play and lay the ball off to others first and foremost.

I'm also assuming Page will play left wing if we need to revert to a 4-4-2 but if we add a creative midfielder they could also play there like Dayton and Munns did.
Benctfc
An out an out winger hopefully so we have a variety of options and not just the 5-3-2 formation. A full back and two strikers. The striker needs to be a proven player at this level imo like the signing of Dawson. Then the rest younger loans who will hopefully be pushing the first team 11.
Del Boy
In my opinion it looks like the management have no confidence in the pitch. They look like they are setting up to lump it forward so I would be surprised to see another midfielder. I fancy the ball will spend a lot of time in the air this coming season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Pell, Winchester - haven't seen Atangana or Dawson play yet so can't comment on their creativity.
Could do with a winger with a decent left peg though
Pell is not creative.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:An out an out winger hopefully so we have a variety of options and not just the 5-3-2 formation. A full back and two strikers. The striker needs to be a proven player at this level imo like the signing of Dawson. Then the rest younger loans who will hopefully be pushing the first team 11.
Dawson is primarily a winger.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Dawson is primarily a winger.
So was Munns who Robin mentioned as one of the creative midfielders we need to replace - you can't have it both ways.

I'd also use Pell as an example of a creative midfielder in the team. He's certainly not from the defensive mould that Storer was cast from, so I'm not sure what else he could be unless you think he's not first XI material.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Dawson is primarily a winger.
So was Munns who Robin mentioned as one of the creative midfielders we need to replace - you can't have it both ways.

I'd also use Pell as an example of a creative midfielder in the team. He's certainly not from the defensive mould that Storer was cast from, so I'm not sure what else he could be unless you think he's not first XI material.
Too short and slow for a winger, Munns was a number ten or creative CM. Dawson is a proper tall powerful up and down winger.

Poll is box to box and a driving force. He isn't going to find little gaps to curl a through ball through from the outside of his boot or drift between the lines.
asl
Since when was height a factor for being a winger...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Since when was height a factor for being a winger...?
Time immemorial.
Eastaway
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Time immemorial.
Aaron Lennon: 5'5"; Shaun Wright-Phillips: 5'5"; Marc Overmars 5'8"; Stanley Matthews 5' 9"...etc, etc...
DingDing
I feel like we need a bit more pace in the side, especially in the top half of the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Eastaway wrote:
Time immemorial.
Aaron Lennon: 5'5"; Shaun Wright-Phillips: 5'5"; Marc Overmars 5'8"; Stanley Matthews 5' 9"...etc, etc...
Marc Overmars 5'8"; Stanley Matthews 5' 9": above average height and top successful players.

Aaron Lennon: 5'5"; Shaun Wright-Phillips: 5'5": below average height and never cut it at the highest level or broke through to be consistent first-teamers and had 'unfulfilled' careers.

Munns is just over 5'5", so in the too small, easily bullied, and inconsistent camp, unlike MO and SM.
asl
I think AL and SWP at their prime would be tremendous assets in League 2...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I think AL and SWP at their prime would be tremendous assets in League 2...
Yes, we are talking about relative levels.
Eastaway
asl wrote:I think AL and SWP at their prime would be tremendous assets in League 2...
Lennon has 21 England caps and over 350 league appearances mostly in Premiership - but maybe that's not enough to count as a reasonably 'fulfilled' career?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Eastaway wrote:
Lennon has 21 England caps and over 350 league appearances mostly in Premiership - but maybe that's not enough to count as a reasonably 'fulfilled' career?
Had his strength and consistency lived up to the hype it would have been more than 21 England caps. Too small to have done so.
Nesty
so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

back to my original question, and after yesterdays signings.................

how many more , and what positions?
Robin
I think 4 more, one permanent and three loans. Target man, left sided player, right sided player and either another centre forward or a creative young central midfielder to cover Winchester.
everyman
Del Boy wrote:In my opinion it looks like the management have no confidence in the pitch. They look like they are setting up to lump it forward so I would be surprised to see another midfielder. I fancy the ball will spend a lot of time in the air this coming season.
I think Gary was fed up seeing us get beat up by most teams last season,so he wants physically stronger players,nothing to do with the pitch.
Oldun
It's not that there any cause for panic, but...............

Been at least 72 hours since last signing and no more mention of striker(s) as yet? Any news anyone? Anyone been seen in Costa? Where's the Mole when you need him?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oldun wrote:It's not that there any cause for panic, but...............

Been at least 72 hours since last signing and no more mention of striker(s) as yet? Any news anyone? Anyone been seen in Costa? Where's the Mole when you need him?
Garita has reserved a seat in Costa for 17 days time.
Robin
It does seem to have gone a bit too quiet on the signing front, I am expecting 3-4 more to come including the three loans GJ said were agreed. Target man is need and cover/competition down the flanks as we already see Winchester needing to move to right wing back in the absence of Dawson.
horlickfanclub
Loan players will come in when clubs return from tours.
THECHOIRBOY
Talking of Munns - did people see his goal from near the half way line this week? A beaut (even if only pre-season)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY3zslbPG4s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry Nesty for changing topic again but didn't want to start a new thread! Following up from yours I would imagine we will start to see some trialists in next few games
theidlerich
Three forwards; with Holman on the bench; DW loaned out! Please.....
Robin
On tonights evidence we certainly need at least one forward. Wright was pretty anonymous against very poor opposition and Holman looked a shadow of his former self. We had a trialist in from Oxford who was comically terrible too.