Cleeve thoughts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
As not many bothered tonight I will give a few comments.
- Before anything it's worth saying the gulf between us and Cleeve is very significant and we just looked miles ahead of them in every aspect, we rarely had to get out of second gear and it's a pre-season friendly so you cannot read too much into it.

Now that said, here are my key takes from the first half.
1) Our back three look like a unit, all big, strong, mobile and committed. Cleeve forwards didn't get a sniff and I suspect had we been playing better opposition it will be like that more often than not.
2) We look weak in the wing back positions. O'Shoggers is better suited on the left of the three and will most likely be our main defensive cover this season. Josh Thomas is not a wing back either and looked much more comfortable in the centre of midfield.
3) Central midfield we look good but without Winchester we lack someone who can pick a pass. Atangana seemed fine today, solid box to box player. Sellers played in central midfield too but looked too small and lost with some poor final balls.
4) Upfront Mo looked a livewire with his movement and it caused Cleeve a lot of problems, he runs the channels and I can see him stretching defences. Wright on the other hand, huffed and puffed and proved again he should be no more than a squad player this year.

Now the second half:
5) In Matt Bower and the youth team centre half we have some very promising players, I suspect neither will feature for the first team this year but Bower could play conference level now, he has all the physical attributes and I feel he will make it with us in a year or so.
6) Cranston again failed to impress, while virtually all our players looked effortless he just seemed to panic far too easily even if he was fine going forward he was wobbly on the rare occasion Cleeve attacked. The trialist at right back did ok but not much more, he looked lower quality than Barts and he would need to do better in order to earn a deal.
7) Storer and Pell ran the midfield and on that evidence I feel Stoz will start ahead of Atangana.
8) The trialist up front was woefully bad, he missed two absolute sitters and went nuts when he finally scored. He looked Glos City standard at best and I would be surprised if he's still with us tomorrow. More worryingly Holman yet again did nothing, he just doesn't look the same player and on that evidence we still need two forwards I'm afraid.
9) Adam Page looks decent and I believe could get some first team games from the bench this season as an option if we play 4-4-2,
darreno
As you say, rightly, shouldn't read too much into anything just yet.
Jon Palmer
Full recap here: http://bit.ly/CleeveCTFC2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Any thoughts on fitness levels Robin? Look like the players are on course to last 90 mins at the required intensity come the start of the season?
Benctfc
I would imagine the fitness levels wont be ready until we start playing the league clubs like Peterborough and Bristol City that will be the true test not playing part time teams like Cleeve.

The team is starting to take shape but the strike force atm looks the most unpredictable area of the pitch. Wright as he showed last year is more of an impact off the bench player at this level so I would imagine that will mean we will bring a target man in who will start like Wooton last year. I would guess the plan was Holman to parter him however at this early stage Mo seems to be doing enough to get the nod. His movement looks impressive and he could be one of those natural goalscorers who scores goals at any level.

Forster,Boyle and Grimes look first choice CB's and should be solid at this level which will give us a strong base to build from and hopefully give the team some confidence a settled defence is something we lacked last year.
Robin
Fully agree Ben, I left last night feeling cautiously positive about the forthcoming season. Even though there is a considerable gulf between us and Cleeve I feel GJ has put together a solid squad for league two, if we can improve the front line and wing back positions we may well surprise a few this year.
Nesty
Robin wrote:Fully agree Ben, I left last night feeling cautiously positive about the forthcoming season. Even though there is a considerable gulf between us and Cleeve I feel GJ has put together a solid squad for league two, if we can improve the front line and wing back positions we may well surprise a few this year.
reading your report I would say I am slightly concerned about our striking options. when Sellars came he was described as a striker, yet is the latest in a long line of "strikers" who get converted to midfielders. Wright and Holman fail to score against probably the weakest side we will face all season. Mo sounds a decent prospect. I would love to know what GJ has lined up as possible solutions especially in terms of a target man.
Lord Elpuz
Benctfc wrote:I would imagine the fitness levels wont be ready until we start playing the league clubs like Peterborough and Bristol City that will be the true test not playing part time teams like Cleeve.

The team is starting to take shape but the strike force atm looks the most unpredictable area of the pitch. Wright as he showed last year is more of an impact off the bench player at this level so I would imagine that will mean we will bring a target man in who will start like Wooton last year. I would guess the plan was Holman to parter him however at this early stage Mo seems to be doing enough to get the nod. His movement looks impressive and he could be one of those natural goalscorers who scores goals at any level.

Forster, Boyle and Grimes look first choice CB's and should be solid at this level which will give us a strong base to build from and hopefully give the team some confidence a settled defence is something we lacked last year.
One has to agree with the comment re Mo Eisa that he may well be a natural goal scorer at whichever level he plays. He was outstanding last night, playing the first half only, he ran the channels intelligently, always making himself an outlet for the ball, pulling the defenders out of position and creating space. His control is excellent, he's quick and there is a sublime confidence when he has the ball in front of goal as his timing and calmness show he has the potential to do very well indeed as he is an excellent finisher. Fully deserved his hat-trick last night. Great players seem to have time on the ball, and he has that; yes, it was against minor opposition, but I feel that if he replicates this form in the League, Cheltenham will struggle to keep him. A secret weapon -- but for how long?
hEaLeR
asl
Some nice finishes in there - but some *really* shaky goal-keeping!
Robin
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Benctfc wrote:I would imagine the fitness levels wont be ready until we start playing the league clubs like Peterborough and Bristol City that will be the true test not playing part time teams like Cleeve.

Forster, Boyle and Grimes look first choice CB's and should be solid at this level which will give us a strong base to build from and hopefully give the team some confidence a settled defence is something we lacked last year.
One has to agree with the comment re Mo Eisa that he may well be a natural goal scorer at whichever level he plays. He was outstanding last night, playing the first half only, he ran the channels intelligently, always making himself an outlet for the ball, pulling the defenders out of position and creating space. His control is excellent, he's quick and there is a sublime confidence when he has the ball in front of goal as his timing and calmness show he has the potential to do very well indeed as he is an excellent finisher. Fully deserved his hat-trick last night. Great players seem to have time on the ball, and he has that; yes, it was against minor opposition, but I feel that if he replicates this form in the League, Cheltenham will struggle to keep him. A secret weapon -- but for how long?
This is an excellent summary although I would like to see him against better opposition he showed good promise to challenge for a starting spot this season - although he may need to bulk up a bit for league two.

Very good point about time on the ball. I thought almost all our players looked so comfortable last night with only Cranston and Holman the exception. Cranston didn't look comfortable defending - although he was fine going forward. Holman just couldn't get in and make an impression on the game which is worrying. Wright worked really hard but again offered no real threat. The sooner we add a decent striker or two the more confident I will be.
I-Love-CTFC
If that's Cleeve's first choice keeper they should be worried. Both trialists seemed non-league standard to me, need much better than that.
Robin
I thought the right back did ok without excelling, the forward was terrible though.
I-Love-CTFC
Fondop-Talom was on trial at Torquay the other week and they let him go. Tells you everything you need to know.