Weston-super-Mare v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates will appear here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/WestonCheltenham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Starting line-up: Flatt; Kilkenny, Boyle, O'Shaughnessy; Reid, Storer, Dawson, Winchester, Cranston; Pell, Holman

Subs: Lovett, Page, Thomas, Bower, Sellars, Eisa, Forster, Grimes, Atangana
Nesty
Who is Kilkenny?
Nesty
................ and what has happened to Kebbie?
I-Love-CTFC
Jamie Kilkenny is a youth team/academy player. Maybe Kebbie isn't required if Tyler Reid is joining.
I-Love-CTFC
Weston-super-Mare 1 (Grubb 18) Cheltenham Town 0
bigdavejambo
a VERY long season awaits im afraid to say
I-Love-CTFC
It gets worse! Weston-super-Mare 2 (Plummer 27) Cheltenham Town 0

We need to call a plumber we have a leaky defence!
Nesty
knee jerk reactions to follow ??
I-Love-CTFC
Weston are totally dominant. Not very encouraging signs.
kiaora84
we will be fighting against relegation this season. GJ will resign by Christmas citing personal circumstances.

Irrespective of friendly results not mattering, it's been an absolute shambles and embarrassment this pre-season so far. Smaller squad with more quality? Definitely yet to see that
Last edited by kiaora84 on 22 Jul 2017, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
I-Love-CTFC
Where's the Billy Waters money?
kiaora84
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Where's the Billy Waters money?
I personally don't think it was as much as people think.
Nesty wrote:knee jerk reactions to follow ??
had we not been so poor at times last season then I wouldn't be so concerned.
Benctfc
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Where's the Billy Waters money?
This looks the cheapest FL squad I have ever seen us have at the moment. I stuggle to see two weaker squads at the moment.
Nesty
JP has put this headline on the Echo website

Not good enough by Cheltenham Town by any stretch of the imagination

for JP to say that it must be bad
Benctfc
Getting smashed by Weston Super Mare so hardly a surprise it honestly could be 4 of 5.
Faithfully Fan
Gloucester City last July , remember that match ? And look what happened 9 months after that. We should surely be punishing these lesser teams, or is this our 'level with this squad.... it's frightening and depressing
Benctfc
Even this level is looking beyond most of them we have lost every match against conference South teams... :oops:
paperboy
....Not good by any standard, but perhaps we should wait until at least Tuesday when we play Rovers with our first choice eleven before we get ever more depressed- not easy though!
theidlerich
..............what will be the five most prominent excuses we will see this coming season from GJ and his management team and the players?
Fuller
paperboy wrote:....Not good by any standard, but perhaps we should wait until at least Tuesday when we play Rovers with our first choice eleven before we get ever more depressed- not easy though!
Thought we are playing City in the Johnson Cup ?

And what is our first choice eleven anyway ? A few senior players seem to be struggling a bit already.
Rulistening
Oh dear. Pre season results shouldnt matter really but its embarrassing to lose 3 now to absolutely inferior teams. Something needs sorting
Robin
Dire result today but we are chopping and changing the team left right and centre to get them minutes on the pitch. If we played our first eleven no doubt we would spank Bath and Weston.

That said please GJ hurry up and get 2-3 more players signed on and let's get the strongest team playing as a unit now.
I-Love-CTFC
JP just tweeted; No interviews after the game from manager Gary Johnson or any of the players, which says a lot.
Fuller
Gary needs to kick some a@s

Shape up or ship out.
hEaLeR
Winchester goal v Weston Super-Mare https://instagram.com/p/BW3MlqjlAZ5/
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:knee jerk reactions to follow ??
Mainly from you?
tunnelvision
Robin wrote:Dire result today but we are chopping and changing the team left right and centre to get them minutes on the pitch. If we played our first eleven no doubt we would spank Bath and Weston.
I'd hope so, but we should be able to beat teams 2 divisions below us, whatever team we put out. If not, then the squad isn't good enough to compete in L2.
I-Love-CTFC
tunnelvision wrote:
Robin wrote:Dire result today but we are chopping and changing the team left right and centre to get them minutes on the pitch. If we played our first eleven no doubt we would spank Bath and Weston.
I'd hope so, but we should be able to beat teams 2 divisions below us, whatever team we put out. If not, then the squad isn't good enough to compete in L2.
Precisely, it just shows how much we lack strength in depth.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Of course, we may not have been playing to maximum effort to win the matches whilst the opponents were. In pre-season training games anything can happen depending on the training schedule and priorities of each side. Training games are not like competitive games where two sides are trying to beat each other, they are more like training sessions where the cones and plastic men are replaced with another team. For example, if in a training games busting a gut to get up the pitch or track back is counter productive and contrary to the requirements of that player at this point of training and conditioning then I would rather they not do it, even if it leads to the other team scoring.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Of course, we may not have been playing to maximum effort to win the matches whilst the opponents were. In pre-season training games anything can happen depending on the training schedule and priorities of each side. Training games are not like competitive games where two sides are trying to beat each other, they are more like training sessions where the cones and plastic men are replaced with another team. For example, if in a training games busting a gut to get up the pitch or track back is counter productive and contrary to the requirements of that player at this point of training and conditioning then I would rather they not do it, even if it leads to the other team scoring.
This kind of falls into the egotistical view that "this was their cup final". It was a pre season friendly for them as well. So who are we to say that their manager was not giving exactly the same orders re not busting a gut? You cant argue that logic for us and not apply it to them as well surely ????
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Of course, we may not have been playing to maximum effort to win the matches whilst the opponents were. In pre-season training games anything can happen depending on the training schedule and priorities of each side. Training games are not like competitive games where two sides are trying to beat each other, they are more like training sessions where the cones and plastic men are replaced with another team. For example, if in a training games busting a gut to get up the pitch or track back is counter productive and contrary to the requirements of that player at this point of training and conditioning then I would rather they not do it, even if it leads to the other team scoring.
This kind of falls into the egotistical view that "this was their cup final". It was a pre season friendly for them as well. So who are we to say that their manager was not giving exactly the same orders re not busting a gut? You cant argue that logic for us and not apply it to them as well surely ????

Indeed. I said 'may'. You prove the point that without knowledge of the different plans and motivations of squads in pre-season training games it is impossible to draw any conclusions or make comparisons based on results. It may have been their cup final, it may have been their reserve team running off a team lunch in the pub earlier in the day. I don't know, which is why I don't pay attention to a meaningless result.
confused.com
Only pointing out you say WE may whilst the opponents WERE. I do apreciate what your argument is. However can also see the logic in the view that if both sides (all our losses), we're out on a training exercise, then our superior fitness and skill levels, should see us winning such training exercises?
Given GJ comments post matches lately, it doesn't seem to have been his orders to go and not worry about winning or losing? That is unless in the minutes between, he has had a full debrief on what the vests have told him. I suspect that analysis may take slightly longer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Only pointing out you say WE may whilst the opponents WERE. I do apreciate what your argument is. However can also see the logic in the view that if both sides (all our losses), we're out on a training exercise, then our superior fitness and skill levels, should see us winning such training exercises?
Given GJ comments post matches lately, it doesn't seem to have been his orders to go and not worry about winning or losing? That is unless in the minutes between, he has had a full debrief on what the vests have told him. I suspect that analysis may take slightly longer
Of course the logic is the same. A perfectly possible scenario amongst many. (Semantics, replace "we may not" with "it may be the case that we" - ie my sentence was meant to apply that maybe we were not and maybe the opposition were. Thought that would be clear to able minds).

GJ is a football man and likes to win even if it's a kick-about with the grandkids in the back garden so won't be happy. Plus he had to tick the right boxes to appease media and fan knee-jerking. Imagine the furore on here if Gary had said "we are still on track, and good and useful match" after we lost to a part-time team. The Nest would have been baying for a sacking etc.