Radio tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Johnsons Red Army
Are we going to be on, and if so, what method (e.g. FM, onine, DAB)?
Johnsons Red Army
BBC Radio Gloucestershire schedule states:

05/08/2017
Gloucestershire Sport
Coverage of Morecambe v Cheltenham Town and Forest Green Rovers v Barnet. NOT online.

Not very helpful though, as it doesn't say which game they will be doing the commentary on and which one will just be score updates (unless one of them is on FM and the other DAB???).
Ctfc02
Fgr are defo on MW
eeneff
According to Radio Times listings

Morecambe v CTFC on FM
FGR v Barnet on MW
Johnsons Red Army
Thanks guys :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I assume with no Prem games the BBC won't be doing a Final Score from 3pm with live updates?
Ctfc02
What about dab?
Si Robin
We're on DAB
Ctfc02
Si Robin wrote:We're on DAB
Thank you
Bbcglos
Hi all,

Here is the updated guide to our commentary in the 2017/18 season. For CTFC it is the same as last season ... every game will always be on DAB. Commentary will also appear on FM/AM depending on fixtures for Gloucester Rugby and FGR. CTFC League games are rights protected online and therefore dont appear "free to air" on our web page.

<<>>

How many CTFC games will have full commentary on the radio?
Every single game, home and away, will have full commentary on the radio

Where can I hear the commentaries?
Every single game, home and away, will be broadcast on our DAB digital radio service. We have dedicated masts for DAB at Churchdown and Edge giving us great DAB reception across the whole of Cheltenham, Gloucester and the Severn vale as well as parts of Stroud. We have additional DAB transmitters in the North and South Cotswolds too. Our DAB transmitters reach a wider area than our FM transmitters do. All the national sport radio services are also available on DAB.

When Gloucester Rugby and/or FGR aren't playing, you may also hear commentary on our FM & AM frequencies and on your Freeview TV (channel 735). This will vary from week to week, but the Robins will always be on DAB digital radio.

Will commentaries be available on BBC iPlayerradio and/or the BBC sport website?
In League 2 (and above) the Football League holds the internet rights so we are unable to put CTFC league game commentary online via BBC iPlayerradio/BBC Sport website. We will make our league commentary available to the Club which it will make commercially available via the Robins Player service.

We are also able to put FA Cup games online via BBC iPlayerradio/BBC Sport website but, due to sport rights restrictions, you can only hear them if you are listening in the UK.

I like to listen to the radio as I watch the game. Is there a delay on DAB digital radio because there wasn’t on FM / AM last season?
All our transmitters now receive the programme feed via digital distribution. Indeed 1413AM gets its programme signal via satellite. So none of our commentaries will be in perfect “real time” with what you are watching on the pitch

I’ve got a DAB digital radio but I can’t see BBC Glos on it. Why?
BBC Radio Gloucestershire, Heart, Smooth and many new national stations have been added to DAB since you bought your set. As we are on frequencies your radio hasn’t “seen” before you need to search for the new multiplexes.

You need a full retune or a hard reset. Typically this means pushing AND HOLDING the reset/rescan button on your set for five seconds. A quick push will only search previously detected multiplexes and won’t find the new ones. If that fails, you will need to look in your menu options for full rescan or reset. If that’s not obvious look at the manual, if you don’t have the manual search for a copy via Google.

Does BBC Radio Gloucestershire pay CTFC for the right to broadcast commentary?
Yes, BBC Radio Gloucestershire pays CTFC for the right to broadcast commentaries of home and away games. We pay additional fees too when the Club plays in the FA Cup. The BBC maintains the broadcasts lines at all the home and away grounds

BBC Radio Gloucestershire is funded by the licence fee.

What else does BBC Radio Gloucestershire do in terms of Cheltenham Town?
We attend club press conference before and after the games. We broadcast the news and information from these press conferences as soon as we can… post game these interviews are often broadcast live.

Online we provide news updates via the BBC Sport website as well as on social media

We are on Twitter @BBCGlos and on Facebook at facebook.com/bbcgloucestershire

All Cheltenham Town news is also available on demand via the BBC Sport app. Score flashes, final scores and team news are all pushed to your smartphone.

What other sport commentaries do you provide?
We broadcast home and away commentary of all Gloucester Rugby games on our FM frequencies as well as on iPlayer radio and Freeview TV channel 735. When CTFC and FGR aren't playing, Gloucester Rugby commentary is also on DAB digital radio and 1413AM. This will vary from week to week, but Gloucester Rugby games will always be on our FM frequencies.

We broadcast home and away commentary on Forest Green Rovers games on 1413AM. When Gloucester Rugby and/or CTFC aren't playing, you may also hear FGR commentary on our FM & DAB frequencies and on Freeview TV (channel 735). This will vary from week to week, but FGR games will always be on 1413AM.

We broadcast all Gloucestershire County Cricket Championship, Royal London Cup and T20 matches via the BBC Sport website and app.
Shade
So CTFC are on DAB and FGR will be on FM when GRFC are playing. And when GRFC aren't playing, CTFC will be on DAB and FM and FGR will be on AM/MW? OK? WTF.

Bit annoying that a club with half as many fans get the FM privilege, but at least 'every game' will be broadcast live.
Bbcglos
If GRFC aren’t playing, but FGR and CTFC are, we will vary which team goes onto FM.

But CTFC will always be on DAB, FGR will always be on 1413 AM.

Mark
Johnsons Red Army
Thanks for the clarification. Have just ordered a DAB radio for the season ahead. Let's hope that I'm in one of the "parts of Stroud" that the signal does reach.
Nesty
I have a DAB radio but cant pick up BBC RG
Bbcglos
The DAB reception area can be seen here

http://www.muxco.com/wp-content/uploads ... ucs4tx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your are in that area, but BBC GLOS doesn’t show on your DAB radio follow the full/hard reset guide. You’ll get many more stations than just us.

We are good on DAB in central Stroud ... not so good in Nailsworth... where 1413AM can be heard really well even on midwinter evenings for FGR fans.

I’ve got a DAB digital radio but I can’t see BBC Glos on it. Why?

BBC Radio Gloucestershire, Heart, Smooth and many new national stations have been added to DAB since you bought your set. As we are on frequencies your radio hasn’t “seen” before you need to search for the new multiplexes.

You need a full retune or a hard reset. Typically this means pushing AND HOLDING the reset/rescan button on your set for five seconds. A quick push will only search previously detected multiplexes and won’t find the new ones. If that fails, you will need to look in your menu options for full rescan or reset. If that’s not obvious look at the manual, if you don’t have the manual search for a copy via Google.
Johnsons Red Army
I'm only a mile away from central Stroud so hopefully will be ok. Map looks like I'm fine too. If not, I'll just send it back.
Nesty
Alderton looks to be only just inside the area covered to the north, might have to follow FGR !!
Johnsons Red Army
I guess I'm in one of those "parts of Stroud" where the reception doesn't come in. Got the new radio today, "NO SIGNAL" for all DAB stations. Yet FM comes in fine. Go figure. Back to Amazon it shall go!
Reginald
Johnsons Red Army wrote:I guess I'm in one of those "parts of Stroud" where the reception doesn't come in. Got the new radio today, "NO SIGNAL" for all DAB stations. Yet FM comes in fine. Go figure. Back to Amazon it shall go!
JRA - If you're in Ebley, you should have no problems in getting a DAB signal. I get all the national BBC and local BBC stations on DAB absolutely fine, from the centre of Stroud through Ebley to Stonehouse, where it can. break up a little.
(From my experience the part of the county where BBC Glos is totally hopeless on DAB is the Forest of Dean.)
Maybe your radio was not working properly?
Johnsons Red Army
Thanks for the info.

Perhaps that is the problem, i.e. broken radio, although my walls are very thick, that could also be the issue (however surely that would also stop the FM signal from coming through???)

Nevertheless, I can get FM fine through my mobile phone at home, I just wanted a DAB radio for when the game isn't on FM.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Thanks for the info.

Perhaps that is the problem, i.e. broken radio, although my walls are very thick, that could also be the issue (however surely that would also stop the FM signal from coming through???)

Nevertheless, I can get FM fine through my mobile phone at home, I just wanted a DAB radio for when the game isn't on FM.
What TV do you have? If you have Freeview and receive West region TV you can get Radio Glos DAB on Channel 735.

If you get Midlands TV it will be Radio Derbyshire.
Johnsons Red Army
I tried at the weekend and it only had the Forest Green (MW) game on Freeview.
Shade
We will only ever be on Freeview if nobody else is playing and they're broadcasting the Chelt game on all frequencies. DAB and FM only. DAB and Freeview do not broadcast the same matches. Glos Rugby is usually on Freeview, followed by FGR.
Bbcglos
Hi All,

To answer a couple of technical points raised.

Radio Gloucestershire is on Freeview 735 on transmitters fed by both Mendip (Points West) and Ridge Hill (Midlands today), so if you have Freeview TV in Cheltenham you should see us on your Freeview EPG. Sadly this does not apply to a few Midlands Today transmitters in the north of the county that are fed by Sutton Coldfield (Midlands Today). This is all down to bandwidth limitations on the TV signal.

There are incoming changes to what goes onto Freeview, all part of big changes to our distribution system (see FAQ). So at the moment 735 is tied to our 1413AM output. If all goes to plan, in early September it will switch to follow our FM output.

Whatever is on Freeview will also be what is on our main online feed (iPlayerradio app + bbc.co.uk/Gloucestershire). Not that this matters for League games as we have to blank them, but important for FA Cup games. If the "free to air" game isn't on Freeview we will place it on a dedicated online feed on the BBC Sport websites.

Our DAB coverage is tied to the commercial radio multiplex for the county, so this does not extend to the Forest of Dean. It does however reach more homes than our FM transmitters do. The commercial radio multiplex has a smaller coverage area than the BBC network radio multiplex which covers nearly everywhere. Thus if you buy a new DAB and it doesn't pick up ANY stations at all, I suspect the radio has a fault.

Mark Jones
for BBC Glos
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bbcglos wrote:Hi All,

Radio Gloucestershire is on Freeview 735 on transmitters fed by both Mendip (Points West) and Ridge Hill (Midlands today), so if you have Freeview TV in Cheltenham you should see us on your Freeview EPG. Sadly this does not apply to a few Midlands Today transmitters in the north of the county that are fed by Sutton Coldfield (Midlands Today). This is all down to bandwidth limitations on the TV signal.

There are incoming changes to what goes onto Freeview, all part of big changes to our distribution system (see FAQ). So at the moment 735 is tied to our 1413AM output. If all goes to plan, in early September it will switch to follow our FM output.

Whatever is on Freeview will also be what is on our main online feed (iPlayerradio app + bbc.co.uk/Gloucestershire). Not that this matters for League games as we have to blank them, but important for FA Cup games. If the "free to air" game isn't on Freeview we will place it on a dedicated online feed on the BBC Sport websites.

Our DAB coverage is tied to the commercial radio multiplex for the county, so this does not extend to the Forest of Dean. It does however reach more homes than our FM transmitters do. The commercial radio multiplex has a smaller coverage area than the BBC network radio multiplex which covers nearly everywhere. Thus if you buy a new DAB and it doesn't pick up ANY stations at all, I suspect the radio has a fault.

Mark Jones
for BBC Glos
Radio fault, or vastly more likely, user error.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Radio fault, or vastly more likely, user error.
Cheeky!

I did look at, and subsequently follow, the instructions before declaring it broken/not working :lol: !

Sending the radio back today and have ordered a different model and will try again.

====================

Thanks for the additional info Mark.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Radio fault, or vastly more likely, user error.
Cheeky!

I did look at, and subsequently follow, the instructions before declaring it broken/not working :lol: !

Sending the radio back today and have ordered a different model and will try again.

====================

Thanks for the additional info Mark.
What brand/model have you gone for out of interest?
Johnsons Red Army
Initially I ordered a Sony:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-XDRS40-Ul ... +dab+radio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've opted for something from Argos this time (so if I have to return it again I can just take it to Stroud rather than having to post it back again):

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5011609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's cheaper than the first one, so not sure how much faith I should have in receiving a signal, however if the first one was in fact faulty, then perhaps this might just work, plus this one has decent reviews. If I still can't get this new one to work then I'll just give up and accept that my house cannot receive the signal. I only want one for the odd away game that isn't on FM anyway.
Last edited by Johnsons Red Army on 09 Aug 2017, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheers, looks nifty and good reviews. I didn't know Alba had entered the DAB market. I am a fan of Roberts, but they are pretty pricey, especially if just buying for a second/third radio or infrequent use.

Let me know if this one is any better!
Reginald
[quote="Bbcglos"]Hi All,

Radio Gloucestershire is on Freeview 735 on transmitters fed by [b]both[/b] Mendip (Points West) and Ridge Hill (Midlands today), so if you have Freeview TV in Cheltenham you should see us on your Freeview EPG. Sadly this does not apply to a few Midlands Today transmitters in the north of the county that are fed by Sutton Coldfield (Midlands Today). This is all down to bandwidth limitations on the TV signal.

Mark Jones
for BBC Glos[/quote]

Thanks Mark, for clarifying that. I realise that the Forest is more of a rugby area, but there are some CTFC fans living over there, who will be stuffed for listening on DAB and FM, and have only medium wave, which isn't much help.
I find the reply that DAB is a commercial organisation's issue a rather limp and unassertive response. Where's the gloves off approach to meet the needs of all your listeners? Or has the Forest been abandoned to stay on medium wave technology of the 1940s by the BBC local station that's meant to serve it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Unfortunately Reginald, our licence fees go to funding endless song and dance celebrity shows, high cost dramas, massively over-bloated click-bait website, and multi-million salaried presenters, rather than providing a proper broadcasting service to the residents of the country.

Not the fault of Radio Glos who do a sterling job with a limited budget given to them by London HQ, but just symptoms of a organisation run by Oxbridge Tories and media luvvies with their noses in the trough. Just look at the outrage some highly-paid presenters showed at having to work in luxury brand new shiny facilities in the nation's second-largest city region when some shows moved to MediaCityUK; unless it's an Oxford or Cambridge alumni garden party the BBC don't care about life outside London, let alone somewhere they probably think is in Wales.

The Forest of Dean issue is another reason why the BBC must be scaled-back and made fit-for purpose.
Bbcglos
Hi Reginald,

My response re DAB in the Forest of Dean is based simply on government led DAB roll out policy and the way in which DAB multiplexes work No limpness I assure you. I have been very active in getting DAB to Gloucestershire.

BBC local radio has to be on the local multiplex and that multiplex is provided by the commercial radio sector. In Gloucestershire that doesn't, at present, cover the Forest of Dean. The BBC national multiples does cover the Forest of Dean but its not technically possible to put us on it as "the mux" is created with the national programmes and then distributed.

In order to boost listener options in the Forest, we are making our Freeview / online feed reflect what goes on FM. This is planned for September (see above). All TVs in the Forest will receive Radio Glos on Freeview unless they only get BBC Wales on BBC1 which affects some homes facing the southern end of the Wye valley.

In other parts of the country, BBC local radio has lost its AM/medium wave service as part of BBC wide savings. We have made sure that, until DAB is provided in the Forest, 1413AM will continue to broadcast and is backed up by investment in Freeview & online distribution.

Cheers

Mark
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to hear Mark, keep up the good work.
horlickfanclub
Shame last nights commentary was more waffle and gossip and not much about the game. Really poor in contrast to Saturday when Mark Halliwell provided a clear idea what was happening.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:Shame last nights commentary was more waffle and gossip and not much about the game. Really poor in contrast to Saturday when Mark Halliwell provided a clear idea what was happening.
That is debatable. I preferred Pete Matthews and Ian Randall, personally. No matter who commentates, there's always a trip down memory lane at some point, as if to prove to the listeners that they've been watching CTFC for a long time and know what they're talking about. I will say, though, that's it's always good having Paul Godfrey on because you have somebody that doesn't speculate because he actually knows what's going on inside the club.