Radio commentary 2017/2018

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Bbcglos
Here is the guide to our radio commentary this season. Essentially it is the same as last year with CTFC always on DAB.

If you listen to commentary on the radio at the ground, note that all our transmitters (DAB, FM and AM) are all now subject to a digital delay so what you hear in your earphones will be slightly behind what you are watching.

Mark Jones
for BBC Glos

<<>>

How many CTFC games will have full commentary on the radio?
Every single game, home and away, will have full commentary on the radio

Where can I hear the commentaries?
Every single game, home and away, will be broadcast on our DAB digital radio service. We have dedicated masts for DAB at Churchdown and Edge giving us great DAB reception across the whole of Cheltenham, Gloucester and the Severn vale as well as parts of Stroud. We have additional DAB transmitters in the North and South Cotswolds too. Our DAB transmitters reach a wider area than our FM transmitters do. All the national sport radio services are also available on DAB.

When Gloucester Rugby and/or FGR aren't playing, you may also hear commentary on our FM & AM frequencies and on your Freeview TV (channel 735). This will vary from week to week, but the Robins will always be on DAB digital radio.

Will commentaries be available on BBC iPlayerradio and/or the BBC sport website?
In League 2 (and above) the Football League holds the internet rights so we are unable to put CTFC league game commentary online via BBC iPlayerradio/BBC Sport website. We will make our league commentary available to the Club which it will make commercially available via the Robins Player service.

We are also able to put FA Cup games online via BBC iPlayerradio/BBC Sport website but, due to sport rights restrictions, you can only hear them if you are listening in the UK.

I like to listen to the radio as I watch the game. Is there a delay on DAB digital radio because there wasn’t on FM / AM last season?
All our transmitters now receive the programme feed via digital distribution. Indeed 1413AM gets its programme signal via satellite. So none of our commentaries will be in perfect “real time” with what you are watching on the pitch

I’ve got a DAB digital radio but I can’t see BBC Glos on it. Why?
BBC Radio Gloucestershire, Heart, Smooth and many new national stations have been added to DAB since you bought your set. As we are on frequencies your radio hasn’t “seen” before you need to search for the new multiplexes.

You need a full retune or a hard reset. Typically this means pushing AND HOLDING the reset/rescan button on your set for five seconds. A quick push will only search previously detected multiplexes and won’t find the new ones. If that fails, you will need to look in your menu options for full rescan or reset. If that’s not obvious look at the manual, if you don’t have the manual search for a copy via Google.

Does BBC Radio Gloucestershire pay CTFC for the right to broadcast commentary?
Yes, BBC Radio Gloucestershire pays CTFC for the right to broadcast commentaries of home and away games. We pay additional fees too when the Club plays in the FA Cup. The BBC maintains the broadcasts lines at all the home and away grounds

BBC Radio Gloucestershire is funded by the licence fee.

What else does BBC Radio Gloucestershire do in terms of Cheltenham Town?
We attend club press conference before and after the games. We broadcast the news and information from these press conferences as soon as we can… post game these interviews are often broadcast live.

Online we provide news updates via the BBC Sport website as well as on social media

We are on Twitter @BBCGlos and on Facebook at facebook.com/bbcgloucestershire

All Cheltenham Town news is also available on demand via the BBC Sport app. Score flashes, final scores and team news are all pushed to your smartphone.

What other sport commentaries do you provide?
We broadcast home and away commentary of all Gloucester Rugby games on our FM frequencies as well as on iPlayer radio and Freeview TV channel 735. When CTFC and FGR aren't playing, Gloucester Rugby commentary is also on DAB digital radio and 1413AM. This will vary from week to week, but Gloucester Rugby games will always be on our FM frequencies.

We broadcast home and away commentary on Forest Green Rovers games on 1413AM. When Gloucester Rugby and/or CTFC aren't playing, you may also hear FGR commentary on our FM & DAB frequencies and on Freeview TV (channel 735). This will vary from week to week, but FGR games will always be on 1413AM.

We broadcast all Gloucestershire County Cricket Championship, Royal London Cup and T20 matches via the BBC Sport website and app.
Horteng
Why was it not BBC Glos commentary on the chelt app today?
Horteng
Horteng wrote:Why was it not BBC Glos commentary on the chelt app today?
Any body?
Shade
What commentary was it? Morecambe or nothing at all?
paperboy
Thank you to BBC Glos for the explanatory post.

If would be good if this was pinned for reference by all throughout the season.
Horteng
Shade wrote:What commentary was it? Morecambe or nothing at all?
Yes it was Morecambe but it was a painful listen!

Id appreciate a response from the club or BBC Glos on this? Im not interested in listening to commentaries from local radio. It has to be Radio Glos coverage for me
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:

Id appreciate a response from the club or BBC Glos on this? Im not interested in listening to commentaries from local radio. It has to be Radio Glos coverage for me
This is what they claim above; seems you are being miss-sold the product.

"We will make our league commentary available to the Club which it will make commercially available via the Robins Player service. "
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Horteng wrote:

This is what they claim above; seems you are being miss-sold the product.

"We will make our league commentary available to the Club which it will make commercially available via the Robins Player service. "
Good point RCS.

I am awaiting an official explanation from the club or Radio Glos.
Bbcglos
Hi all,

Radio Gloucestershire's only role in Robin's Player is that we send our radio output to CTFC's service provider. This is done via a fixed ISDN line. After that what you hear is technically managed by the service provider.

Mark
For BBC Glos
pas
Is there a commentary tonight from Oxford ?
Circa 1887
Has anyone tried using iFollow yet and is it any good? I am contemplating setting up a VPN to allow me to subscribe and stream away matches live - has anyone tried this yet?
Shade
pas wrote:Is there a commentary tonight from Oxford ?
Yes.
Johnsons Red Army
Gloucestershire Sport
Caraboa Cup first round
Oxford v Cheltenham (DAB/FM) and Forest Green Rovers v MK Dons (1413AM). NOT online.
View Programme information

Big thank you to BBC Radio Glos for listing specifically what methods the games are being broadcast on :) .
bennox
Circa 1887 wrote:Has anyone tried using iFollow yet and is it any good? I am contemplating setting up a VPN to allow me to subscribe and stream away matches live - has anyone tried this yet?
Yep, I succumbed to the temptation to subscribe, and watched the first half on Saturday. I then paused it as I had to go out, and avoided the result, hoping to resume watching. That didn't work, unfortunately. Before signing up I had read you could watch full matches afterwards, "as live", but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The stream was good. I had it on very quiet, so not sure about the sound.
pas
Thanks Shade and JRA.FM is the best for me.
Eastaway
Circa 1887 wrote:Has anyone tried using iFollow yet and is it any good? I am contemplating setting up a VPN to allow me to subscribe and stream away matches live - has anyone tried this yet?
I watched the Morecombe game on iFollow (from France). Picture quality very good but with a single camera that stubbornly follows the ball and shows nothing else (e.g. you don't see substitutions being made). Sound was OK. There is no commentary so a bit like being at the match itself. No replays either so if you miss a goal then you've missed it!
Bbcglos
Commentary on every CTFC game always on DAB. See faq above.

Tonight’s game also on FM.

Mark
For BBC Glos
Horteng
Thanks BBC Glos for the prompt responses.

I am still waiting for a response from the club for clarity whose commentary is going to be available through the ifollow app?????
Horteng
Nearly a week on I am still waiting for a response from CTFC.

Paul Godfrey can you clarify please?