West Ham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Then we do what other clubs do and, on the rare occassion we need more away seating, we move ST holders.
Just don't sell STs in the end blocks of the stands on either side then no disruption to anyone.

The bigger games with the most away fans are the ones where ST holders will be most looking forward to taking their seats. I have a prime halfway line seat, and if moved to make way for away fans for a big game I would need an equivalent spot on the new stand - unlikely as it will likely be held by ST or Directors area.

Guaranteeing one of the best seats in the stadium for any game I want is why I buy an ST. Being moved for the biggest games defeats the point. I won't be the only one.
robinsrule
If a new stand gets built surely the way to go would be give the away fans the C&G terrace with a new entrance built near the current Hazlewoods entrance. Would give them the longest walk and they could also have the Hazlewoods car park. The Colin Farmer could have an entrance at the Whaddon Road end to keep home and away fans as far apart as possible from each other outside the ground.

I know some Chelt fans want to stand but that's only because it is cheaper. The acoustics are rubbish in the C&G so give it to away fans. Seating prices could be a couple of quid lower in the CF to reflect the fact it's older and that most fans would have to walk 100 yards further to reach it. Simples.
Sprout Picker
robinsrule wrote:If a new stand gets built surely the way to go would be give the away fans the C&G terrace with a new entrance built near the current Hazlewoods entrance. Would give them the longest walk and they could also have the Hazlewoods car park. The Colin Farmer could have an entrance at the Whaddon Road end to keep home and away fans as far apart as possible from each other outside the ground.

I know some Chelt fans want to stand but that's only because it is cheaper. The acoustics are rubbish in the C&G so give it to away fans. Seating prices could be a couple of quid lower in the CF to reflect the fact it's older and that most fans would have to walk 100 yards further to reach it. Simples.
Not sure where to start with this! :?
art vandalay
robinsrule wrote:I know some Chelt fans want to stand but that's only because it is cheaper.
Complete garbage. I always try to stand at any game I attend at any level of football, and I'd happily pay the same price as seating. In fact, at many non-League grounds there's no extra charge to sit, yet many people still prefer to stand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote:
robinsrule wrote:I know some Chelt fans want to stand but that's only because it is cheaper.
Complete garbage. I always try to stand at any game I attend at any level of football, and I'd happily pay the same price as seating. In fact, at many non-League grounds there's no extra charge to sit, yet many people still prefer to stand.
Agree. Both options should be provided for the same price. Unfair that people who may not be able to stand have to pay a premium, when if they were capable would be happy to stand. Maybe others who through financial pressure have to stand when they would rather sit and get out off attending. Make it a fair consumer choice so fans can watch football in the way that suits them best.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Going to have to turn West Ham over 5-0 if we want to re-use M. Toms' "Better than Man United" poster.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Beaten 4-0 by an extremely average united side - the hammers look there for the picking tbh
Lukaku is a pound shop Eisa.
Coops
Coops wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:If we build any new main stand with a capacity below 3000 you'd have to seriously question the board. I'd say 4000 would be great and 3500 ideal as it means we can house home supporters in one main stand plus the terrace behind the goal apart from the very biggest games. We also can then cater for bigger away followings of 2000 in the CF stand and maximise more revenue there.
I don't want to move from the CF. I have had my seat since the first day they were on sale when we went pitch side to choose them and I will own it til I pass from this world. No away fan fan will sit in my pew.
My sentiments precisely.

So you propose putting away fans in our new main stand which will presumably have the best facilities and best views in the entire ground?
How did you manage to comment on my post and make it look like I said it, Robin?
kora
Never give away fans a terrace when you can give them seats and charge them more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:Never give away fans a terrace when you can give them seats and charge them more.
Ideally seats and terrace would be the same price for all fans.
Robin
Coops wrote:
Coops wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I don't want to move from the CF. I have had my seat since the first day they were on sale when we went pitch side to choose them and I will own it til I pass from this world. No away fan fan will sit in my pew.
My sentiments precisely.

So you propose putting away fans in our new main stand which will presumably have the best facilities and best views in the entire ground?
How did you manage to comment on my post and make it look like I said it, Robin?
Sorry Coops I accidently clicked edit post rather than quote, those are indeed my comments incorrectly added into your original post.
robinsrule
"Ideally terraces and seats should be the same price" - Yes, fine if they are the same lower price! If standing cost £21 do you seriously think we wouldn't lose fans? I know loads of people who will only come if they stand.... because it's cheap. They won't pay 20 quid or more to watch Cheltenham Town. Then they complain about the c!#p view from behind the goal and invariably don't come again.... hence my "garbage" suggestion above.

The people paid to attract more fans have to think like consumers, not like fans as we do.
Robin
5800 I would predict.
Shade
It'll be a sellout. Don't forget fairly local West Ham fans in the area buying tickets in the home ends for themselves and other Hammers from further away.
robinsrule
Will hopefully top 6,000 and look full on TV.

I've been having a bit of banter with a West Ham-supporting friend about how we are going to smash them, until I struggled to recall us ever even scoring against a top flight team. The only instances I remember are losing 2-1 at Fulham (Loftus Road) and 5-1 v Everton, plus 2-1 against West Ham in the League Cup. Otherwise we are goalless against Newcastle, Spurs and Sunderland. Am I missing any?
Circa 1887
We lost to Stoke 2-3 in the League Cup
Shade
I was just wondering, when was the last time we were live on Sky for a non-play-off game? I don't think we ever have been? The Newcastle cup game was on BBC1 and the NL games were on BT, so I think this is the first time they've ever picked us.
Si Robin
Chesterfield away in February 2001 - the last time at Whaddon Road would have been against Shrewsbury in September 1999.

Interestingly, I'm certain I remember at the time, along with ourselves (as a newly promoted club) Shrewsbury were the only team to have not been shown live on Sky before that game.
Shade
Ah, a long time before I got Sky! Even still, quite a while, eh.
paperboy
Shade wrote:Ah, a long time before I got Sky! Even still, quite a while, eh.
Recently cancelled my own Sky subscription and have a prior engagement for the WH game so I'm giving myself a huge pat on the back-Not. :-)
robinsrule
I can't even remember us playing Stoke.... anyway, we've never beaten a top flight team in our history so Wednesday would be a good time to start!
CTFCfan99
We were also on Sky in 2014/15 at home to Bristol City in the JPT
thetonga
Norwich in a cup game early 2000s I think was on sky
CS85
4,000 tickets sold.this town is embarrassing.
everyman
CS85 wrote:4,000 tickets sold.this town is embarrassing.
This will be a great chance to see some top quality footballers,youngsters will love it they know all the players these days.
Andy
everyman wrote:
This will be a great chance to see some top quality footballers,youngsters will love it they know all the players these days.
Quality !!! It's only West Ham. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuller
TBH I am not surprised at all for the following reasons :-

It's too early in the season.
It's the League Cup, not the FA Cup.
Lots of people still on holiday.
It's live on Sky.
Most importantly I am sorry to say we are losing support, spoke to a few mates over the weekend who are occasional supporters, but they said they had no interest in going.
Let's face out three out of the last four seasons have not been good and there has been lots of grumbling about the squad put together for this season. Only 2,800 for the first home game and only 800 for Swansea U21.
It needs something to reverse the decline in support and interest in the town. What that will be I just don't know.
robinsrule
Is that 4,000 home tickets or in total? I'm sure plenty (like me) will pay on the gate.
Fuller
robinsrule wrote:Is that 4,000 home tickets or in total? I'm sure plenty (like me) will pay on the gate.
Can you definitely pay on the gate ? If yes there will no doubt be some long queues so get there early.

If you can pay on the gate you can be sure a large number of WHU fans will adopt Cheltenhamshire accents for one night and stand on the terraces ?

Not expecting any trouble but you never know ? Expecting a reasonable police presence and a bill to match.
Red Duke
Fuller wrote:

It's live on Sky.
Most importantly I am sorry to say we are losing support, spoke to a few mates over the weekend who are occasional supporters, but they said they had no interest in going.
Let's face out three out of the last four seasons have not been good and there has been lots of grumbling about the squad put together for this season. Only 2,800 for the first home game and only 800 for Swansea U21.
It needs something to reverse the decline in support and interest in the town. What that will be I just don't know.
They need to have some exceptional results. e.g. Lets say they had won 5-0 away on Saturday, following up a 5-0 home against Crawley and then beat West Ham, then everybody would be sitting up and taking notice. If they were to draw another top premier side, it would be a sell out.
Nesty
Red Duke wrote:
Fuller wrote:

It's live on Sky.
They need to have some exceptional results. e.g. Lets say they had won 5-0 away on Saturday, following up a 5-0 home against Crawley and then beat West Ham, then everybody would be sitting up and taking notice. If they were to draw another top premier side, it would be a sell out.

exactly , it will take something big to reverse the decline.
Jerry St Clair
Fuller wrote:
robinsrule wrote:Is that 4,000 home tickets or in total? I'm sure plenty (like me) will pay on the gate.
Can you definitely pay on the gate ?
Interesting. The info on the club website says absolutely nothing about the game being all ticket, so I would assume tickets will be available on the gate. TBH, the club would be mad not too. The only reason they shouldn't is if the police specifically forbid it. We need to squeeze every penny we can out of this.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Do we need segregation? Why not let people sit where they want?
Unfortunately, until all football fans have reached the same stage of evolution the FA/FL will insist on segregation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote:"Ideally terraces and seats should be the same price" - Yes, fine if they are the same lower price! If standing cost £21 do you seriously think we wouldn't lose fans? I know loads of people who will only come if they stand.... because it's cheap. They won't pay 20 quid or more to watch Cheltenham Town. Then they complain about the c!#p view from behind the goal and invariably don't come again.... hence my "garbage" suggestion above.

The people paid to attract more fans have to think like consumers, not like fans as we do.
£15 adults should be the price.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote:I can't even remember us playing Stoke.... anyway, we've never beaten a top flight team in our history so Wednesday would be a good time to start!
2009. I remember as was living in Angel at the time in my cousin's old flat and remember following the match on sky sports news midweek soccer special. They had a man at the ground giving regular updates.