Gary & Paul on BBC Radio Glos

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Did anyone else listen in last night ?

Caught some of it and Gary was his usual jovial self. When asked about more signings he did point out about the Financial Fair Play rules and we are very near the cap apparently. So expect a couple more at most. That's why some players may have to move on I suppose. Not sure if loans come under the FFP rules though ?

Paul said he wanted WHU in the cup - amazing result !

Amazing how things can turn around so quickly, mind you lose tomorrow and there will be hell to play on here again !
FOD_Wyman_2010
Didn't catch it but I think people were generally more annoyed that we couldn't fill the bench and the squad was crying out for reinforcements that seemed to be left very late to sign. Then the Pell bid hit on the day of the first game after a poor pre season which we went on to lose against the relegation favourites and I think it tipped most of us over the edge after last year.

Fast forward a week and we have played a good match in the cup and got a good draw, Pell is staying (which is as good as a signing) and we have signed a target man. I still personally worry about the size of the squad but lets see how it plays out. I would have thought any loans would only count towards FFP if we have to pay any wage contribution or monthly fee for them. If finances are a real issue, you want good prospects from premier league clubs who want them to be playing so wont get us to pay anything as long as we play them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FFP: If we all chip in £100 for the RNF to 'sponsor' the club bar that would raise the club income and allow us to pay a bit more in wages. Wouldn't even need to change the name.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Isn't that the Man City approach RCS? Find ways to sponsor yourself to increase your revenue? I wonder if the scoreboard counted towards income too?
Shade
Anyone think someone else might come in with a bid for Pell before the end of the month, somewhere a bit better than Blackpool?
Shade
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Isn't that the Man City approach RCS? Find ways to sponsor yourself to increase your revenue? I wonder if the scoreboard counted towards income too?
Probably the FGR approach too.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Shade wrote:Anyone think someone else might come in with a bid for Pell before the end of the month, somewhere a bit better than Blackpool?
Wouldn't be massively surprised and its a good point. If Portsmouth were interested in January, they might come in again depending on how their midfield looks these days.
ctfc-fan
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Isn't that the Man City approach RCS? Find ways to sponsor yourself to increase your revenue? I wonder if the scoreboard counted towards income too?
Leicester's way apparently
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
Leicester's way apparently
The way of most high spending teams. For owners who want to mis-manage clubs and finances, the FFP rules are about as effective as the fit and proper persons test.
confused.com
Guess it must only be me that finds it somewhat odd that the club scout is given so much 'air time'?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Guess it must only be me that finds it somewhat odd that the club scout is given so much 'air time'?
Almost as much as Buckle's scout.
Shade
confused.com wrote:Guess it must only be me that finds it somewhat odd that the club scout is given so much 'air time'?
Pete Johnson? What's he got to do with this? I thought it was just Gary and Paul Baker?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Pete Johnson? What's he got to do with this? I thought it was just Gary and Paul Baker?
Haters gotta hate