Cheltenham Town v Crawley Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/CrawleyTownHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
Dawson not even on bench despite being declared "fit"
confused.com
For those of us in other parts of the globe, what's the team for today?
Nesty
Cheltenham Town (v Crawley Town): Flatt; Forster, Boyle, Grimes, Cranston; Winchester, Storer, Pell, Sellars; Wright, Eisa

Subs: Lovett, Atangana, Bower, Holman, O'Shaughnessy, Graham, Page
confused.com
Thanks
art vandalay
Poor game, pretty scrappy with neither team getting into a pattern, but we stood up to everything and looked pretty solid. Storer was my MOM and delivered a bullet of a cross for the goal, Pell looked more like his usual self, a few good saves from Flatt, Forster did well at right-back, and Graham showed some useful touches & shortly after coming on took up an unmarked position at the back post which Eisa failed to spot. Encouragingly we saw the game out by defending very high up the pitch and never invited pressure by dropping deep. I'd like to have seen us create a few more decent chances as I expect Crawley to struggle but we were really limited to half chances - it's good to get 3 points on the board though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Crawley's 15 minutes spell of violence during the second half was a disgrace. Australian manager for you. Be no loss to the Football League if those thugs drop to the Conference.
CTFCfan99
Very solid performance overall. Atangana the standout for me with Stoz, Cranston and Eisa all putting in good displays too. Definitely room for improvement though and we'll need to be better against better sides.
triggo
Yes Jordan Cranston didn't put a foot wrong, especially in the first half.
I was impressed !
Flatty still has work to do and I,m sure he already knows whats wrong but clean sheet , so hey ho.
Pity Jezzer had to leave has he impressed too, a real twinkle toes.
Great cross from Stoz made the goal.
Finally still work to do I reckon - wasn't really to much between the teams and on that showing maybe lower mid table awaits both.

Oh and hope the guy who had the problem in the Banks stand is feeling better, looked nasty for a while.
Player1
Good result - well done to the team!
Thought we looked pretty decent at times, Big Nige, Stoz, Pell and Eisa all impressed today. Shame Sellars went off - hopefully nothing serious. Defensively we can improve but a clean sheet is a clean sheet so shouldn't complain!
Agree with RCS on Crawley's antics, thought they were just kicking Eisa and others out of the game at times (especially 2nd half). Ref was too weak at the start and things got a little silly. They looked a bit of a dirty team in truth and there was no need for some of the dirty challenges, pushing and kicking out they were doing.

Good day all in all! Onwards and upwards - COYR!
Robin
A dreadful game if we are being honest. Not sure if we were not at it or got dragged down to the standard of Crawley but we were not as good as we were at Morecambe. I thought we deserved the win but really struggled with square pegs in round holes playing 4-4-2, Pell and Forstor inparticular didn't look comfortable. Also the attendance today, where was everyone 2800 home fans for the first home game of the season?

Have to say Crawley were terrible, if they stay up this season I will be very surprised.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Big Nige immense in second half.
theidlerich
My first look at the team; very impressed with Sellers before he went off, skillful and quick, reads the game well too. Eisa likely to be a handful, but rather like McGlashen of old - going to get hammered as teams target him. That as an issue is not helped by a lamentable weak referee - Drysdale - very poor as was the yellow flag lino; apparently unable to see the many dirty dancing routines that went on from Crawleys antics, within a few metres too!. Defence a little shakey at times; need one to have some pace; Cranston played well, delighted to see that. Good win; pity we didn't get a second; two decent opportunities early on; DW headed wide when faced with an open goal and Sellers shot straight at the keeper.
confused.com
In Boracay myself Robin and am sure lots more on hols. Back as a glory hunter for WHU match lol
Player2 Has Joined
Not sure the game was as poor as a couple have suggested. I thought we won it in the midfield today, looked very solid and out battled Crawley. Actually thought we looked like we belonged in the league today, and hopefully shows what a year's experience has brought to some of our squad. Also thought we looked quite comfortable for most of the game, showed a bit of composure and could have upped it a level if needed.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Rulistening
They were a very dirty side i feel. Their CB was a lucky boy to not be sent off. As for the game it wasn't exactly great but we won so thats all that matters. Flatt seems to be a good shot stopper but he struggles to hold onto the ball. Eh that was griffiths' problem also.

Atangana absolutely wowed me, he seems to be an absolute wall!
Alf
Early days yet and considering that the manager is probably still looking for his best team, a decent all round performance. I'd rather have three points from a mediocre game ( as some are suggesting) rather than bugger all from a cracking game. Thought we deserved at least a point last week but got nowt. Just pleased that we seem to be moving in the right direction.
Shade
Everyone did well really without being world beaters. Flatt took a couple of good high balls and just about did enough when required. Forster obviously isn't a natural RB but put a lot of effort into doing the job asked of him. Boyle and Grimes didn't make any mistakes which is the main thing after recent weeks. Cranston so much improved - I wouldn't say he didn't put a foot wrong but he was at least on par with everyone else. Storer was Storer, strong and committed with a great cross for the goal. Pell was Pell, making a nuisance of himself. Sellars looked good. Winchester was solid but unspectacular. Atangana was immense, even pulled out a Marseille turn if I'm not mistaken! Eisa looks like Dan Holman when he first came to us, a danger everytime he touches the ball, even chased back to right back late on to try and stop a break. Wright had a good game, bringing the ball down well, winning his headers, great chasing several tumes winning the ball/corners in advanced areas when he really had no right - maybe trying to be too accurate with his header at a far from open goal beyond the far post... Graham, difficult situation to come on to and never really got into the game, but seems to have some good pace as well as height.
Nesty
highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29oTLjwtUCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
I see the Yeates Garage clock has been upgraded (presumably with a new sponsor as I'm pretty sure Yeates is no longer trading?)
longmover
Finally we have some steel and fight with players that won't be buiiled and will stand up for team members, Forster and Antangana provide a much need intimidating pressence that wont be afraid to mix it when the opposition play nasty. Back this up with Pell, Storer and Wright who aren't shrinking violets and we're no looking like a team with presence. Where as before we looked as intimidating as dads army.
triggo
Yes we look well able to dog it out , just haven't seen any creativity from that team.
Mo and Jez are going to get kicked from here to next May in that league as was very apparent on Saturday.
NB My observations based on 90 mins so feel free to correct me if Im talking b00locks :D :D :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I see the Yeates Garage clock has been upgraded (presumably with a new sponsor as I'm pretty sure Yeates is no longer trading?)
Yup Yeates closed ages ago. They just left the clock until there was someone prepared to pay some money to sponsor it