Football is not enjoyable...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Bah humbug. We'll lose 8-0 and disgrace ourselves. 2 players will be sacked in the morning due to their despicable displays/antics.
CTFC03
Flatt at fault for the goals, everybody else did fine I thought. Thought Atangana was our best player tonight but I was overall pleased with the defence and we looked good it's just a shame our goalkeeper isn't good enough.
Oldun
Thought he was booked at Carlisle?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I hate to say it but it does cry out for a 3 man middle (nige or stoz, wini and pell) and some width. Pell is wasted a bit out there - he hasn't been booked once yet!
Nige or Stoz...one of the easiest no-brainer questions of all time.
asl
I thought Cranston our MotM, too. Collins overall, without a doubt. Showed his class and made defending look simple.
Shade
Cranston could have been motm if he hadn't messed up in the first half by switching off when one of theirs was chasing a ball over the top, then switching on to get to the ball first,only to try and shield a barely moving ball out of play, getting robbed and then bringing the guy down, aka 'doing a Cranston'. No doubt he's performaing a lot better, but based on that poor piece of play alone he wasn't my motm.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Cranston could have been motm if he hadn't messed up in the first half by switching off when one of theirs was chasing a ball over the top, then switching on to get to the ball first,only to try and shield a barely moving ball out of play, getting robbed and then bringing the guy down, aka 'doing a Cranston'. No doubt he's performaing a lot better, but based on that poor piece of play alone he wasn't my motm.
I said at the time if they scored from the free-kick that would be the boo-boy noose round JC's neck for the rest of the season.
confused.com
Wasn't at the match as cba making that trip for a mickey mouse cup. However RCS, when will you realise that you support JC constantly because of his pace going forward. His critics judge him against what he is supposed to be a LB and what ever you say, he does switch off often and does get caught out of position often and history shows he does foul often near our line.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Wasn't at the match as cba making that trip for a mickey mouse cup. However RCS, when will you realise that you support JC constantly because of his pace going forward. His critics judge him against what he is supposed to be a LB and what ever you say, he does switch off often and does get caught out of position often and history shows he does foul often near our line.
I don't support him or say he is good, I just counter the obsessive OTT targeting he receives. As talked about in other threads others are saying JC is playing well and may have been MoTM whereas I didn't think he did any worse or better than in any game I have seen him in since he signed.
horlickfanclub
He stood up well to high class opposition .I have often thought Cranston a weak link but last night he played above himself and he should get full credit.
Jerry St Clair
RCS is right. Cranston's main job last night was keeping pace with a very fast forward line. It was pure speed and not much else and that is very much his forte. Trouble is, that's not something he faces much in L2. He has to deal with high balls, physical presence and shutting down crosses. None of which he's particularly good at.

That said, you can only play what's in front of you as the cliche goes. And Cranston was excellent last night.
Malabus
Good post, Jerry.
I was watching from overseas, Stoz and Atangana were excellent.
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Cranston could have been motm if he hadn't messed up in the first half by switching off when one of theirs was chasing a ball over the top, then switching on to get to the ball first,only to try and shield a barely moving ball out of play, getting robbed and then bringing the guy down, aka 'doing a Cranston'. No doubt he's performaing a lot better, but based on that poor piece of play alone he wasn't my motm.
He had done the exact same thing no more than a few mins before, and saw the ball out. Unfortunately, he simply misjudged it the second time.

I thought Cranko in the first half was the best I've seen. He didn't dive in at all, he maintained his position (something he's been accused of at all) and but for the one error mentioned above, looked extremely composed.

He's a different player this season to last, even when he had his good spell at the start of the season. He looks like he has a point to prove and credit to him for that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
He had done the exact same thing no more than a few mins before, and saw the ball out. Unfortunately, he simply misjudged it the second time.

I thought Cranko in the first half was the best I've seen. He didn't dive in at all, he maintained his position (something he's been accused of at all) and but for the one error mentioned above, looked extremely composed.

He's a different player this season to last, even when he had his good spell at the start of the season. He looks like he has a point to prove and credit to him for that.
Easier for a full back to keep position when not having to cover poor CBs like Parslow or erratic ones like Manny. Back line defend as a unit and they are all doing well. Just a RB needed before the windo shuts. JC's error didn't lead to a goal but could have, and unfortunately it was Forster's positioning error which did lead to a goal. BUT JF was being played out of position at RB at the time. I doubt he would have been caught out if playing CB where he should be.
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

Easier for a full back to keep position when not having to cover poor CBs like Parslow or erratic ones like Manny. Back line defend as a unit and they are all doing well. Just a RB needed before the windo shuts. JC's error didn't lead to a goal but could have, and unfortunately it was Forster's positioning error which did lead to a goal. BUT JF was being played out of position at RB at the time. I doubt he would have been caught out if playing CB where he should be.
For me JC makes too many mistakes, often compounding them by rushing in, trying to rectify the original error. Result is usually that he's easily beaten or he gives away a free kick. Having said that, I did think that in general he played quite well last night. The biggest problem for me, was that Winni didn't track back to cover Byram's runs, often leaving JC exposed 2 against 1.

I also thought that the defence looked much better 2nd half, with Forster particularly good. However, Winni isn't a RB and it again highlighted where we are most deficient.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
I also thought that the defence looked much better 2nd half, with Forster particularly good. However, Winni isn't a RB and it again highlighted where we are most deficient.
Yup, having KD playing LM certainly helped JC during H2. And JF moving into the middle tightened up the defence as he is our best CB. Just need an RB.
Shade
Regarding JC, I didn't say he didn't play well, just that he wasn't my motm because he made three silly errors in the space of 15 seconds, something Atangana didn't do whilst doing a lot of things very well. But, it's still August so it's still too early to say if he's turned the corner or not. As mentioned, he had a decent start to last season, too.