Dazed and confused

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nham68
Head spinning...

First game of season for me (holidays / work travel etc)

For 25 mins, we looked solid, strong, composed, competitive. Looked like winners.
Forster and Grimes looked solid.
Cranston good.
Midfield excellent...
Flat worried me, but he wasn't tested .
Forwards - ineffective, but we had enough behind them.

Then the free kick - bad time to concede, ok. That happens.mnot much flatt could do.

Then Kamikaze defending for goal 2 . What a cluster xxxx

half time .

Second half - no belief. Hoof ball like last season.
Forwards even more ineffective
Midfield ok still.
Defense - still ok until the penalty. What was Grimes doing ??

4th goal was poor : we are obviously very fragile when things don't go our way.

Fair play to Holman... good goal.

Overall :
Dawson looks good.
Foster looks good, but injury looks bad.
Cranston - fair play, did ok considering he was targeted.
Nige - OK
Pell - would rather have the £300K
Storer - good.
Grimes - nervous. Dropped a clanger.
Flat - does not inspire confidence.
Eisa - lots of hype, was exited as first time I'd seen him - but no product today at all, was anonymous...can't judge on one game .
Graham - another Danny Wright,
wright - another Graham
Winnie - good, solid overall. Why is he RB ?
Holman - out of sorts. But give him Credit today. Battled.

I think we'll do better vs last season, marginally... sellers to come back, 2-3 new faces in.

One of those days...
I-Love-CTFC
Dawson, Winchester, Atangana and Eisa the only ones who had a decent game. Calling Graham another Danny Wright is a disservice to Wright. I don't see what Graham brings to the team, Wright offers a lot more with work rate and wins more headers.
Nesty
2 or 3 players ? we need more like 4 or 5
I-Love-CTFC
The way Pell has been playing recently I would have snapped Blackpool's hand off.
confused.com
how did Blackpool win without him ???? he couldn't pass the salt
Player2 Has Joined
Our defence individually look fairly decent players, but as a unit shocking. Even before we scored, there were a few dodgy moments.

Going forward we looked like world beaters for 20 mins and not much after that. Seemed to coincide with Mo being largely involved up until then, and largely anonymous after that. Not sure if it's his fitness, but I'd be tempted to start him on the bench next week, and use him as an impact sub.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Nham68
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Dawson, Winchester, Atangana and Eisa the only ones who had a decent game. Calling Graham another Danny Wright is a disservice to Wright. I don't see what Graham brings to the team, Wright offers a lot more with work rate and wins more headers.
Donn't think Wright had an impact today.. he won lots of crosses yes, but mostly given as offside.
And did Eisa really have any chances ? I can't remember any...
I-Love-CTFC
Nham68 wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Dawson, Winchester, Atangana and Eisa the only ones who had a decent game. Calling Graham another Danny Wright is a disservice to Wright. I don't see what Graham brings to the team, Wright offers a lot more with work rate and wins more headers.
Donn't think Wright had an impact today.. he won lots of crosses yes, but mostly given as offside.
And did Eisa really have any chances ? I can't remember any...
I just can't see Graham being a success here, i'd love to be proved wrong though. Eisa played a big part in both of Dawson's goals, but yes he didn't really have any chances today.
confused.com
thought JC was decent. Personally can't see it in Foster, but that's just an opinion. Grimes Not sure about him either, even less sure after that balls up. We dont think fast enough, in saying that I didnt hear anyone giving him a call. However on the edge of the penalty area, with half the opposition around you, you shouldn't need a call
I-Love-CTFC
You can listen to Gary's post-match interview here: https://audioboom.com/posts/6242593-joh ... xeter-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I thought we were superb in that first half, easily the best I've seen us this season, we outclassed Exeter and it looked a case of how many we'd win by not if. Then a quality goal against the run of play, their player handballed before Storer tripped him but the ref missed that and it's a quality finish - I know I'm not his biggest fan but the criticism of Flatt seemed a tad harsh to me. Then a defence mix up gifts them a totally underserved equaliser.

Second half the game was more even with us edging it, then Forster goes down injured having been superb at the back until that point. Quickly followed by Grimes getting sent off - can't comment on the penalty - followed by a quick break away and we are 4-2 down. Totally underserved but showing some fragility in our defensive unit without Forster back there.

Overall a game we didn't deserve to lose on the balance of play, Dawson and Atangana appear superb signings, Forster was superb as a centre back (hope he's not out too long with the injury), Flatt isn't very popular with the home crowd but wasn't at fault too much today. Also how did the lino and ref both miss the blatant elbow by Troy Brown on Danny Wright?
horlickfanclub
It must be a rare day as I agree with Robins comments. Graham battled away and was a handful without doing much in the box.He will settle in fine. As for those who did not see Eisahs golden sitter chance. Early on he was twelve yards out with a clear shot but slipped on the watered surface Why do we do it? The players go from bone dry areas to greasy areas .Bonkers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Holman looked determined and combative when he came on. Was getting stuck in and winning the ball well and trying to make something happen; which he did for his goal which he made himself and he was determined he would get that ball in the goal. Start him next week.
everyman
Player2 Has Joined wrote:Our defence individually look fairly decent players, but as a unit shocking. Even before we scored, there were a few dodgy moments.

Going forward we looked like world beaters for 20 mins and not much after that. Seemed to coincide with Mo being largely involved up until then, and largely anonymous after that. Not sure if it's his fitness, but I'd be tempted to start him on the bench next week, and use him as an impact sub.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The defence has not been very steady since the loss of a real leader and organiser namely Aaron Downes,i hope we find one before friday.
horlickfanclub
I agree Everyman. When will he bit fit ? He never gets a mention .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:I agree Everyman. When will he bit fit ? He never gets a mention .
If people think Downes in the answer to a good L2 team then relegation is a cert.
I-Love-CTFC
Milk turns quicker than Downes. I still think he should have called it a day at the end of the season.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:I agree Everyman. When will he bit fit ? He never gets a mention .
If people think Downes in the answer to a good L2 team then relegation is a cert.
agreed. Dawson is the only one I would have any faith in putting their hand up when the need is there. Sorry, Winchester as well tbf. I would take Manny back in a heartbeat. At least if he made a mistake he had the speed to rectify it more often than not. Oh well come Thursday night, a team of world beathers
Shade
If only Dawson had stuck away his hat-trick chance at 2-0, I don't think Exeter would have had any comeback then.
everyman
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Milk turns quicker than Downes. I still think he should have called it a day at the end of the season.
I didn`t suggest he plays,just need that type,can you not understand ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:If only Dawson had stuck away his hat-trick chance at 2-0, I don't think Exeter would have had any comeback then.
Yeah, turning point for sure.