I'll get criticised for this but...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
...I thought we were exceptional in the first half and looked genuine promotion candidates. We should have gone in at the break two or three goals up we were that good. Dawson, Atangana and Forster (before the injury) were superb.

I'm sure everyone will have a meltdown because we lost but I thought it's worth pointing out the good whilst people go over board on the bad.
DingDing
I agree with you to some extent - we looked brilliant for 20 minutes, then for whatever reason (likely tactical) we started playing like a Ryman League side.

The 70 minutes that followed us going 2-0 up were diabolical, we stopped playing the way we started and rather than trying to kick on tried to slow it all down and be content with what we had. This put pressure on our poor defence, who have little to no confidence in the man behind them. There's no communication between any of them which leads to all sort of mistakes, like we saw today.

We have no chance of promotion, however hopeful the start today might make you - football is a 90 minute game and our players don't have the mindset to currently focus for that long.
Robin
I don't think we'll be promoted but we won't struggle either, we look every bit an inconsistent mid-table team that will show flashes of brilliance and stupidity in equal measure.

I don't think we got any brakes today and Exeter were not on top until the Forster injury and then the sending off/penalty when we fell apart.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exeter could have had an early penalty, and we should have gone 3-0 up. Fine margins.
I-Love-CTFC
Robin wrote:I don't think we'll be promoted but we won't struggle either, we look every bit an inconsistent mid-table team that will show flashes of brilliance and stupidity in equal measure.

I don't think we got any brakes today and Exeter were not on top until the Forster injury and then the sending off/penalty when we fell apart.
Won't struggle :lol: I'll have some of what you're on.
Robin
You seriously think we will struggle this season? I've seen us play three league games and on balance we could and should have won all three. We clearly have some weak points but we are much better than the team that started last season.
DingDing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Exeter could have had an early penalty, and we should have gone 3-0 up. Fine margins.

We would probably still have lost if we'd gone 3-0 up given how much the standard dropped.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
DingDing wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Exeter could have had an early penalty, and we should have gone 3-0 up. Fine margins.

We would probably still have lost if we'd gone 3-0 up given how much the standard dropped.
Though of course Exeter may have been too dispirited to come back.
confused.com
Exceptional first half?? Remind me again how long a half lasts. Injury and grimes had little to do with it. They had already missed a handfull of pretty easy chances. We went 2 up, missed a couple more soon after then vanished
shevates
In 7 competitive games we have let in 16 goals that is why we're in this position a poor defence will always show you at the bottom and where are we ???? Our best defender at centre back is most likely out for the season we have another 2 injured and one suspended so our two centre backs next Saturday could be Bower and oshaughnesey. The reason we looked good for 35 minutes is because we do have a more than decent midfield, but our defence will always let us down. The manager tells us that his brother is one of the best scouts around well between the two of you you need to sort this out quick. We need 5 players we should never be in this situation at the end of August wanting this amount of players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to see Dawson showing what he is about. More mockery being made of the idea he would be right back!

Agree with Confused. After 35 minutes we collapsed and reverted to hoof ball.

BUT, Exeter deserve credit. Our goals and dominance came with Mo and others running at the back four, who were deep, in the space behind the midfield. Exeter made a change tactical change and their whole back line pushed up 15-20 yards to close the gap between them and midfield. Mo no longer had that space and we had to revert to trying balls over the top into the space left behind as we couldn't play through the midfield and defence. We stopped being an attacking threat after this.

Might be worth putting Mo out side in these circumstances so he can get on the ball more when teams shut down the space in the middle.

Storer really struggled during the whole game. During our fast attacks it slows down when he gets it because he takes too many touches and can't pick the fast early pass. We need an RB so Winchester can move into midfield asap.
triggo
Have some sympathy for OP.
Thought we played some good football to go two up..
Exeter scored from the two chances they had in the first half.
Mid table awaits.