Squad in perspective

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
Firstly let's look at the positive points and there are some without doubt which the manager has brought to the club this season
Forester poor right back excellent centre back going to be a massive miss
Atangana has settled in midfield looks reliable
Sellars looked very good from what I've seen his injury a massive set back
Dawson quality midfielder proved that against Exeter
Eisa shows promise could be a great find

Read those five points and every thing should be hunky dorey far from it. Its dosnt need a rocket scientist to see we have the most unbalanced squad put together by a manager.
One left back in Cranston who is a boo boys favourite but in fairness hasn't let us down
6 centre backs one in Forester who is very good the other five in my view are non league
Our right back ummmmm forget his name and his cover right back mmmmm ?????

Up front Eisa were relying on potential, I feel he's got it
Graham I feel just a panick signing
Holman dosnt look the part
Wright can't fault his effort but how many will he score ?

Over all a totally unbalanced squad we shouldn't be in this position with four days left in the transfer window needing five players and finding clubs to take at least two on loan. 99% of teams that get relegated do so because they have such poor defences and we cum under that category even stevie wonder can see that. I find it hard to except that the Johnson brothers have done little in recruiting much needed defenders and as for Johnson preferring to take Flatt instead of paying a very small fee for Scott Brown I find baffling. If and it's a big If that they bring in at least three quality defenders we can turn it around I would like a keeper and a striker as well but I'm clutching at straws I believe Also it's gets harder to sign new players when they see our league position
Nesty
people are saying we faded yesterday because of the cup game, but with a bigger squad we could have rested a few.
Oldun
Thread title should be "Squad in my perspective" because this is not a view held by all. I will just mention Will Boyle. Is he non league? No, of course not.
As said elsewhere, we all recognise the fact that GJ has not been successful is getting enough players (for whatever reasons that Shevates may know about but most of us don't) but the quality in Forster, Nige, Mo, Dawson is there.
I wonder what inside info you may have that tells you that Scott could have been secured for a "small fee" ? And is he worth a "small fee" I have my doubts!
CTFC03
Agree with almost all of that, we miss Mannys pace back there for definite, I wouldn't mind seeing him back or just somebody else that has the pace to get back and defend. We need a new goalkeeper, I too have no idea why we didn't pay for Scott Brown or even held on and waited for somebody that we could rely on and let Lovett play in the pre season games whilst we cast the net wide to make sure that we get exactly what we need, the GK is vital and we've got this WRONG, he doesn't inspire confidence! I noticed Dawson and Grimes had pops at him on separate occasions. I felt sorry for Dawson, Atangana, Winchester and Eisa because they were badly let down by the rest yesterday, thought Mo looked tired second half and it was a shame Forster went off with what it sounds like it's going to be a while before we see him again.

We all want to see a busy few days and we still need 4/5 quality players at the very least to make us competitive but I want to see as many players as possible, we need the board to dig deep and give Johnson a winning team and give the fans something to go home happy about, we cannot afford to struggle this season, we'll lose fans which will then accumulate to very little spending = poor squad, no quality. Sometimes it's worth taking a calculated risk in order to get the results you want, this is one of those moments so can we please grasp this opportunity and not look back.
CTFCfan99
Not sure who this 'Forester' bloke is but Forster certainly looks good, and his injury is a big blow. Obviously now need another CB on loan having lost three in as many days, as well as a RB and wide midfielder (plus presumably Mustoe as LB cover). I believe we will see 3 or 4 new faces by Thursday (and perhaps a couple more if we ship anyone out), and only if GJ fails to do this will I start to have my doubts.
CTFCfan99
And I will add that I think Flatt has come in for a lot of unfair criticism and I believe he would do a good job for us, but with the amount of abuse he's getting online and during games it may be best for all parties to bring someone else in.
Robin
I agree with almost all your post Shev however regarding the centre backs, I think Boyle is a good signing. Sure he's still raw but there is a very good player there in my opinion. Also to a lesser extent O'Shoggers there is some potential there but not quite ready to start matches regularly in my opinion.

I feel the vast majority of GJ's signings have been great it's just a few exceptions and the fact we need more in pretty obvious positions because we are now being forced into playing a formation that we don't have natural players for.

If I had a choice I'd take one centre back, a keeper and a full back in before the end of the month. Dillon, an experienced centre half and someone who can do well at right back would see us stear clear of any relegation scraps for sure, another forward with Holman going out on loan could see us flirt with a play off challenge.
confused.com
Jaysus Robin blinkers off please. You can't list players as being raw, ok etc then say the majority of the signings have been great! The majority of the signings are no longer here!!! Only goal I could even half put at Flatts door yesterday was the free kick. You can't line up the wall then get nowhere near the ball on your own side. Mo needs eased in but we can't afford to do that. Winchester our best defender yesterday but a talent wasted. JC I hope maintains this level. Foster in my eyes was just ok, a lot of grunt, not a lot of speed or guile. We need three and fourpence because we are going to a dance!! And quick
CS85
Unless we sign 3 absolute gems for key positions we will be cut adrift in the bottom two by January.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we get a new keeper then please not Phillips. We need someone with league experience to guide our young defence. Phillips is completely unproven and untested at this level and would be a gamble. He was hardly any better than Flatt in the Conference so why the assumption he will any more comfortable in the League. A 35+ yr old who wants game time rather than bench warming in a higher level would be a much better option.
Robin
confused.com wrote:Jaysus Robin blinkers off please. You can't list players as being raw, ok etc then say the majority of the signings have been great! The majority of the signings are no longer here!!! Only goal I could even half put at Flatts door yesterday was the free kick. You can't line up the wall then get nowhere near the ball on your own side. Mo needs eased in but we can't afford to do that. Winchester our best defender yesterday but a talent wasted. JC I hope maintains this level. Foster in my eyes was just ok, a lot of grunt, not a lot of speed or guile. We need three and fourpence because we are going to a dance!! And quick
Sorry but we signed the following over the summer:
Eisa - Has been a revelation and could make us a huge amount of money.
Sellars - Looked superb up at Morecambe and could be another huge find.
Forster - Has been a bit iffy at right back but I thought had a great game yesterday and looked the leader at the back.
Atangana - Again has been superb, wins the ball, comfortable on it, mobile and strong.
Dawson - looked superb yesterday and gave us width and energy which Exeter could not deal with.
Grimes - Hasn't excelled but I don't think has been terrible either.
Flatt - Not convinced by him but I understand we are chasing another keeper and he may be returned to Wolves.

I'd say the players we have signed have been very good by and large, the issue is that we need 2-3 more of that standard and play to our strengths to challenge towards the top of this league.
CTFC03
We don't need 2/3 we need far more than that.
Robin
Why do we need far more than that, unless players move on...
I-Love-CTFC
I think we need at least 3 or 4 as a minimum.
confused.com
Robin wrote:
confused.com wrote:Jaysus Robin blinkers off please. You can't list players as being raw, ok etc then say the majority of the signings have been great! The majority of the signings are no longer here!!! Only goal I could even half put at Flatts door yesterday was the free kick. You can't line up the wall then get nowhere near the ball on your own side. Mo needs eased in but we can't afford to do that. Winchester our best defender yesterday but a talent wasted. JC I hope maintains this level. Foster in my eyes was just ok, a lot of grunt, not a lot of speed or guile. We need three and fourpence because we are going to a dance!! And quick
Sorry but we signed the following over the summer:
Eisa - Has been a revelation and could make us a huge amount of money.
Sellars - Looked superb up at Morecambe and could be another huge find.
Forster - Has been a bit iffy at right back but I thought had a great game yesterday and looked the leader at the back.
Atangana - Again has been superb, wins the ball, comfortable on it, mobile and strong.
Dawson - looked superb yesterday and gave us width and energy which Exeter could not deal with.
Grimes - Hasn't excelled but I don't think has been terrible either.
Flatt - Not convinced by him but I understand we are chasing another keeper and he may be returned to Wolves.

I'd say the players we have signed have been very good by and large, the issue is that we need 2-3 more of that standard and play to our strengths to challenge towards the top of this league.
still doesnt rack up with your majority have been great comment. A lot more have left because they were far from great

Mo - needs a year to bed in and get League fitness
Sellars - promising
Forster - jury still out, one swallow etc
Nigel - good, not great
Dawson, good not great
Grimes- average
Flatt average

Ma not debating for the sake of it, just can;t see how you can say majority have been 'great'. Even you yourself have doubts about approx half of them mentioned, to varying degrees
Robin
I was talking about the recruitment this summer Confused.com however even longer term GJ permanent signings are generally very successful, loans more hit and miss. I can't think of too many permanent signings we've regretted making, Jennings only one that comes to mind.
confused.com
Robin wrote:I was talking about the recruitment this summer Confused.com however even longer term GJ permanent signings are generally very successful, loans more hit and miss. I can't think of too many permanent signings we've regretted making, Jennings only one that comes to mind.
is that why very few of them are here still. Just admit the word 'great' is way over thetop :)
CS85
Ben 2.

Cut adrift is not relegated by Xmas.
Gems may be the wrong word,I find it hard to get my head round a manager with GJS experience and supposed contacts he simply can't find even a solidleague 2 right back meaning we have a player in the correct position.
Key positions for me would be a goal keeper,a winger and now due to injury another central defender.
It's a disgrace we are playing arguably our most influential midfielder on the right of midfield and clearly a midfielder with vision and ability to assist playing at right back.
It ain't good enough,this should not be a issue at the end of August.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, given Robin has correctly criticised OTT reactions to yesterday's game, it is a bit rich for him say most signings have been great.
Oldun
Although 85 this same player set up two goals from his (out of) position!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:Ben 2.

Cut adrift is not relegated by Xmas.
Gems may be the wrong word,I find it hard to get my head round a manager with GJS experience and supposed contacts he simply can't find even a solidleague 2 right back meaning we have a player in the correct position.
Key positions for me would be a goal keeper,a winger and now due to injury another central defender.
It's a disgrace we are playing arguably our most influential midfielder on the right of midfield and clearly a midfielder with vision and ability to assist playing at right back.
It ain't good enough,this should not be a issue at the end of August.
Agree with nearly all that, aside from the fact we must remember that finding a solid league two right back is one task, and being given sufficient to budget to attract them to the club is the more important. We fans are not privy as to how many, if any, L2 right backs have been identified and lined up by GJ, only for the money men to veto. It might not be an issue at all, but as long as we don't know the facts we must consider it in any assessment of transfer dealings this summer.
vickeryc
Oldun wrote:Thread title should be "Squad in my perspective" because this is not a view held by all. I will just mention Will Boyle. Is he non league? No, of course not.
As said elsewhere, we all recognise the fact that GJ has not been successful is getting enough players (for whatever reasons that Shevates may know about but most of us don't) but the quality in Forster, Nige, Mo, Dawson is there.
I wonder what inside info you may have that tells you that Scott could have been secured for a "small fee" ? And is he worth a "small fee" I have my doubts!
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Oldun. Good riposte. As usual, there's been too much unfair criticism and negativity on here though it is undeniable that Flatt has not inspired confidence between the sticks. That said, getting on his back won't do him, or the team, any favours.
CS85
Oldun......very true he did.....and tbh I think he's doing a good job,but I'd rather a solid right back who can defend and then Winchester where he belongs where he can be more affective.
Alot of players can do a job in certain positions for 1,2 or 3 games but they soon get found out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
He'll be back.
everyman
CTFCfan99 wrote:And I will add that I think Flatt has come in for a lot of unfair criticism and I believe he would do a good job for us, but with the amount of abuse he's getting online and during games it may be best for all parties to bring someone else in.
Why not that guy from Ross County,Scott Fox he would fit into our team perfectly ?
Bristol
We need to start playing a formation that gets the best out of our best players: Forster CB, Winchester and Pell - central, attacking midfield. I'm suggesting 433:

GK - Flatt
RB - new signing
CB - Forster
CB - Boyle
LB - Cranston
DM - Atangana
MF - Winchester
MF - Pell
RFW - Dawson
LFW - Sellars
ST - Eisa

This however, leaves the squad unbalanced - too many CBs (Grimes, Bower, O'Shaughnessy) and STs (Holman, Wright, Graham) and short in both full back and wide attacking areas.

Big concerns are then raised - we don't know how to get the best out of our current players, and have recruited new players that don't fit this (or any) system.
Robin
From what I hear of Graham he will be starting games and not cover. We have the players for 5-3-2 that is the formation I'd like to see us play.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Graham and Holman to start for me on Saturday.

Re: 4-4-3 above, Forster may be out for a long time.
confused.com
If winchester is stuck in at RB again I will despair, when Exeter pushed their back line up on Saturday we were crying out for winchester in midfield to deliver good passes in behind them and get Mo and graham running through
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:If winchester is stuck in at RB again I will despair, when Exeter pushed their back line up on Saturday we were crying out for winchester in midfield to deliver good passes in behind them and get Mo and graham running through
Completely agree.

If we haven't signed an RB by Saturday I would be tempted to put Storer at RB, as he is the midfielder we need least and would miss least. This would limit our overlapping attacks down the right (no pace from RB) and run the risk of many more fouls conceded in the RB area, but worth an opportunity.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Graham and Holman to start for me on Saturday.

Extra player would be handy as long as the ref doesn't notice...
everyman
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Graham and Holman to start for me on Saturday.

Extra player would be handy as long as the ref doesn't notice...
Saturday`s ref.didn`t notice that Flatt was wearing an Exeter shirt ?
CS85
Calls me an idiot and then runs off,like an idiot :lol: