Cheltenham Town v Stevenage

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/StevenageH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
we have signed 5 players this week, but can still only muster 6 on the bench!!
Nesty
Atangana unwell, but no mention of Graham
art vandalay
Nesty wrote:Atangana unwell, but no mention of Graham
Hurt in training, not serious.
confused.com
No capitulation please
Benctfc
1-0 Stevenage bottom of the FL great to have the season back isn't it...
Benctfc
Now wonder crowds are dropping 4 out of the last 5 seasons have been woeful and the club has zero ambition. I don't blame people who question whether to attend or not as the enjoyment just simply isn't there at the moment. As I said last week Johnsons FL record is shocking under us add in the disaster that led to Yeovil going down to L2 he hasn't done it in the FL for years. There are plenty of young managers out there that would do no worse than he is at the moment. If we don't get an uprturn in results by the end of this month his position must be questioned.
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:Now wonder crowds are dropping 4 out of the last 5 seasons have been woeful and the club has zero ambition. I don't blame people who question whether to attend or not as the enjoyment just simply isn't there at the moment. As I said last week Johnsons FL record is shocking under us add in the disaster that led to Yeovil going down to L2 he hasn't done it in the FL for years. There are plenty of young managers out there that would do no worse than he is at the moment. If we don't get an uprturn in results by the end of this month his position must be questioned.
I think there were people questioning his position last season. I think we must give time for the new players to fit in , BUT the squad should have been formalised way before now to hit the ground running.
Player2 Has Joined
Please God get Harry off free kicks now. Hitting and hoping isn't good enough.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
PaddockRob
Gary Johnson says "the only way is up" 100% correct when your at the bottom! Needs to be a vast improvement in points by the end of the month.
Benctfc
There is just no consistency one week we can't defend then the next we can't attack we never seem to be able to do both to a competent level during a game. I just find it depressing we are already struggling 5 games in after seasons of struggle in the FL
Alf
It's difficult for the fans at the moment. We had the promotion season and I think we thought that things would kick on from there but it hasn't happened. I don't think now we're expecting miracles but a shred of hope would be nice!
vickeryc
I don't care what anyone says, we did not play at all poorly today and undoubtedly deserved something from the match. On paper, Stevenage looks a fixture we should win, but they are a very effective side and are likely to be amongst those challenging for the play offs. I can't single out anyone who had a poor game today - we were simply undone by an unstoppable free kick, expertly executed, rather like Exeter's opener last week. In a nutshell, disappointing result, but far from a disappointing performance.
Jon Palmer
Video interviews with Gary Johnson and Joe Morrell now here: http://bit.ly/StevenageH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
where was Graham ?
confused.com
Free kick was much better than last week's, it went in on the side the wall was covering
Rulistening
Vs 2 teams predicted to be pushing for promotion we haven't been smashed, today was unlucky as I don't think it was a free kick for them (need to see a replay). However can we stop playing Harry Pell on the wing now please!! or I actually will want GJ sacked if he continues with that selection :lol: done nothing for 3-4 games now apart from lose the ball and slow us down on counters

Morrell looks very good. Was disappointed with Moore as I was told he was L1 quality.. didnt look it to me today but could be an off day (that backpass in the 90th? minute gave me a heart attack. was a silly ball to play and we got very lucky) , And Flinders didn't face many shots par the free kick so hard to tell if its an improvement or not on Flatt

Just need to start converting chances now and I don't see us being involved in a relegation fight this year, probably a comfortable spot such as 15th?
Robin
vickeryc wrote:I don't care what anyone says, we did not play at all poorly today and undoubtedly deserved something from the match. On paper, Stevenage looks a fixture we should win, but they are a very effective side and are likely to be amongst those challenging for the play offs. I can't single out anyone who had a poor game today - we were simply undone by an unstoppable free kick, expertly executed, rather like Exeter's opener last week. In a nutshell, disappointing result, but far from a disappointing performance.
Fully agree, our start (points wise) and league position is unacceptable but there is enough in those five games to suggest we will avoid a relegation scrap this term. I'm not entirely happy with mid-table and long for a settled side in a formation which suits them but we've clearly improved the squad versus last year man for man.
longmover
Hinds and Gordon have pace (especially Hinds, who took off like a rocket at one stage), yet we're still knocking the ball long to two small players who aren't going to win anything, we don't have the pitch to blame now so why are we still playing this way? Also Holman, either he's being loaned out and was on the bench to make up the numbers or he's being given the cold shoulder by GJ. He scored last week and then see's two brand new strikers played over him.
confused.com
longmover wrote:Hinds and Gordon have pace (especially Hinds, who took off like a rocket at one stage), yet we're still knocking the ball long to two small players who aren't going to win anything, we don't have the pitch to blame now so why are we still playing this way? Also Holman, either he's being loaned out and was on the bench to make up the numbers or he's being given the cold shoulder by GJ. He scored last week and then see's two brand new strikers played over him.
Have no issues re Holman. One goal does not make up for a distinct inability to reproduce his NL form. Could it just be that, that is his most effective level. Fully appreciate he isnt getting great service, but he didnt get that in NL either