Positivity

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Pops
Ok so I am new to posting on here, but have been reading the posts for some time.
Is this a fan site because it doesn't read like one
Too many posts are negative when we should be supporting our team.
Yes I know we lost again today but it was still a good performance
Come let's get behind Gary and the team
RubyRedRobin
So true, the forum so easily swings from elation to absolute despair. Get a grip people, we played well against a team well versed in the dark arts and lost to an expertly placed free kick. Sure our finishing this game wasn't fantastic, but considering Stevenage's play style getting a goal would have been hard for any team. There's still room for improvement, but I was mildly pleased (despite the result) with how we played, particularly in the first half in which there were spells of Cheltenham dominating the ball for lengthy periods. It's certainly a considerable step above last season (we can actually recycle the ball on this pitch, without resorting to hoofball). And sure in terms of results we haven't had the best start, but all this despair will do nought but breed more desperation.
confused.com
What's the get a grip all about, haven't read anyone slating the team??? Of course some were better than others and it's fair enought to comment on that. I just feel that these kind of posts are just as negative. It's almost as if some want to start an argument out of nothing. The posts have been positive so why start this up again
Pops
I am see img negative comments all the time
This week I have read about e need to replace the manager and most of the team
I wouldn't have bothered posting if I hwasnt so fed up with seeing this
Come on let's all get behind both manager and team
Oldun
Pops...you are a breath of fresh air!!!!! Welcome on board!
confused.com
sorry oldun, vast majority of posts today are positive, so no need for this post today. apart from starting up the them and us debate again, when no need for it
vickeryc
Sorry, Confused, but Pops and Oldun are correct in pointing out an underlying negativity amongst certain posters on here. I feel exactly the same myself. There is a difference between constructive criticism, which is fine, and endless carping (seemingly born out of an apparent relish when the team does badly), which is far from fine. Before you jump in, I haven't said which of these categories apply to your good self. Only you know the answer to that.
confused.com
so where is the wave of negativity tonight that warranted the op ? tonight
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:so where is the wave of negativity tonight that warranted the op ? tonight
http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =2&t=23814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oldun
Thanks for the support Vickery and Confused I would have thought that you of all people would at least have allowed me the right to express an opinion, albeit one that is constantly different to the negative claptrap that you put out there!
Like one or two others you are probably inclined to blame Gary for today's rain!
Nesty
I will support positivity in any shape or form, my only gripe is that despite having 20 odd players we still have square pegs in round holes
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I will support positivity in any shape or form, my only gripe is that despite having 20 odd players we still have square pegs in round holes
Yes, agree. No one can be positive about square pegs - ruins the game for me and provides no incentive for me to attend.
confused.com
Oldun wrote:Thanks for the support Vickery and Confused I would have thought that you of all people would at least have allowed me the right to express an opinion, albeit one that is constantly different to the negative claptrap that you put out there!
Like one or two others you are probably inclined to blame Gary for today's rain!
seems you have difficulty in reading oldun, (maybe a visit to specsavers?). I have happily said that yesterday was an improvement, new players settling in, few bugs still there, but hope is also there. What's negative about that ? if anything it shows I just say what I see, I dont constantly run out the same mantra. Maybe we just have different expectations.

Re this OP, it just seemed a very odd and negative approach on a day when eh vast majority of post match comments were upbeat, to be starting a thread trying to start the them and us debate yet again. You are of course more than entitled to your opinion. and to express it As I say, it seemed an odd 'standard' to be hoisting and rallying around yesterday.
Pops
I would like to point out that just below my post entitled positivity there was a post entitled " all a bit desperate" and another entitled " bottom already" this is what prompted my call to rally some support from the fans on what I believe to be a fan site instead of seeing the same people grumbling non stop that players and management should be replaced.
vickeryc
Pops - you're correct in identifying the negative tone of some of the latest 'topic' headings. Oddly, though, many of the resulting posts (particularly under Bottom Already) are quite positive about yesterday's performance.

There is undoubtedly an inherent 'malaise' evident amongst certain posters, which was what prompted me to support your original post. That said, there has been a better than expected response from most posters to yesterday's unlucky defeat. Let's hope the team continue to give us cause for positivity. Once this squad has had time to gel properly, better results are surely just around the corner.
confused.com
Pops could buy that one if those named posts had not appeared after you OP ;)
kora
Totally agree generally with what you are saying Pops, but you may have picked the wrong day to say it as for once there is more positivity than usual. Wonder how long it will last.
confused.com
It should last, big difference this week squad wise to were we where last week. Still a few square pegs but with bit of movement and maybe couple extra new faces that can be fixed. E.g. Moore to RB and get Winchester up the field. But has to be said, he has put in an excellent shift. More of that and he could be world cup bound!
Even bigger difference to this time last year, we're we had very poor recruitment and in my eyes a bad decision to let sentiment over rule the head. This led many to doubt what was going on and we were fortunate not to go down. A loss against Hpool would have been a disaster!
So all in all a much better place, GJ has to carry some flak for taking this long to get us here. Bit of team gelling and away we go
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Re: last summer, I view it as head not sentiment. Going back on a promise would not only have been bad for club morale, it would have reflected poorly on the club and Gary. Whilst Gary acted with his head in keeping his word and acting in January to secure promotion it was some of the fans who were getting emotional and losing their heads.
confused.com
RCS think we could debate this one to our dying day lol. All I would say is
No evidence that making the promise played a part in our promotion apart from anicdotal
If you go along with the it was right to make the promise and stand by it. It should have been evident at that level of management that some would struggle. Thus recruitment should have been for people ready and able to step iin and replace and not bench warmers. But as I say, we have debated this one to death ;)
Shade
Confused, the promise was made to some of our players as an incentive for coming to Cheltenham, i.e. come, get us promoted and we'll give you a shot in the League, or go elsewhere and maybe collect a bigger pay packet. Without those players we would still be in the NL. They earned their right for a shot and a couple, such as Pell and Waters, took their chance whilst others were shown as not good enough. There is nothing to debate, and I can't believe that (in hindsight only, mind) some fans would want us to break a promise to players that had kept their end of the deal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS think we could debate this one to our dying day lol. All I would say is
No evidence that making the promise played a part in our promotion apart from anicdotal
If you go along with the it was right to make the promise and stand by it. It should have been evident at that level of management that some would struggle. Thus recruitment should have been for people ready and able to step iin and replace and not bench warmers. But as I say, we have debated this one to death ;)
Good luck finding ten players to sign who are happy to not take part in the first 10-20 matches whilst the first sixteen have a chance to prove themselves.

Imagine trying to sign Forster..."Now you are a good player son but we have three other centre backs who are all going to get a chance of 15 or so games to prove themselves before you get a look in."
confused.com
Sorry can't follow that logic. It only works if the "promise" that was made was not just that they will get theirr chance in L2 but rather that they will be selected each week to star X amount of games. Any manager who would go into a campaign with that mill stone hanging round his neck would need his head seen to. Absolutely no reason why any signing should not think they have a chance. Nonsense
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Sorry can't follow that logic. It only works if the "promise" that was made was not just that they will get theirr chance in L2 but rather that they will be selected each week to star X amount of games. Any manager who would go into a campaign with that mill stone hanging round his neck would need his head seen to. Absolutely no reason why any signing should not think they have a chance. Nonsense
See above post by Shade.
confused.com
Yep read it. Not sure it answers you point re signing poor players. But history TG