Some thoughts on the Stevenage game

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be found here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsStevenage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Agree with that Jon, we are not a million miles away from being a solid mid-table side but lack a little in consistency of team selection I've genuinely no idea why we are playing 4-4-2 with only one winger and pell wasted on the other flank!
darreno
I don't get all this '442 or 352' debate. We need to be adaptable to game conditions and respond to how our opposition play. But at home, we should not be starting 3 centre halves as you lose an attacking option. Away from home, yes maybe.
Old Coventrian
darreno wrote:I don't get all this '442 or 352' debate. We need to be adaptable to game conditions and respond to how our opposition play. But at home, we should not be starting 3 centre halves as you lose an attacking option. Away from home, yes maybe.
What we want is a squad and formation that makes the opposition adapt to our style of play, not the other way round.
robinsrule
Guys, we've won one and lost four.... optimism is fine within reason but we are at the bottom for a reason!
Robin
That's fine and ours results have been unacceptable however we were very unfortunate on the opening day vs Morecambe and didn't deserve to lose yesterday. Against Exeter we could have won that game. Of course we didn't but people are simply saying it's fine margins at the moment and we don't look far away from a solid side this season.

It doesn't mean people cannot have concerns, I for one would love to have players in their proper positions!
Nesty
the season is 46 games. Because of his dithering Johnson has made that a 41 game campaign. Our season starts now
theidlerich
Tend to agree, as JP alludes to in his article, the decision making over the past year (May 2015) to current has not Ben great! However do get this current squad "fit" and running believe results will improve dramatically.
triggo
Stevenage keeper not had a save to make !!!!...
could have sworn he got down well to palm a DW effort around his lh post :oops:
Lord Elpuz
Prithee allow me to make a couple of critical observations in respect of Jon Palmer's report; I highly value his opinions and reporting on Cheltenham Town FC, but I was slightly perturbed at the tone of this particular piece. He failed to mention Mr Johnson's serious illness in his critical analysis of the aftermath of the managers January rebuild, which I feel had a major impact on the finishing position. He also failed to acknowledge that the free kick awarded to Stevenage appeared to be awarded following a somewhat dubious claim for a foul. I am content to be criticised for nit-picking, but I feel such instances have contrived against us and cost us in no small way.
cliffy90
triggo wrote:Stevenage keeper not had a save to make !!!!...
could have sworn he got down well to palm a DW effort around his lh post :oops:
That was a very good save from Fryer to deny Wright. Dawson should have got his header on target right near the end too.
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:Prithee allow me to make a couple of critical observations in respect of Jon Palmer's report; I highly value his opinions and reporting on Cheltenham Town FC, but I was slightly perturbed at the tone of this particular piece. He failed to mention Mr Johnson's serious illness in his critical analysis of the aftermath of the managers January rebuild, which I feel had a major impact on the finishing position. He also failed to acknowledge that the free kick awarded to Stevenage appeared to be awarded following a somewhat dubious claim for a foul. I am content to be criticised for nit-picking, but I feel such instances have contrived against us and cost us in no small way.
Eloquently put m'lud! Agree wholeheartedly, particularly on the matter of the free kick, which appeared a very soft decision in the opposition's favour.
confused.com
There did indeed seem to be a multitude of soft free kicks. Can't say I was too impressed by any of the officials. The storer booking was a classic, the referee did not even see the tackle, but immediately judged it a yellow card. He can't have taken his guidance from any of the other officials, as they saw nothing all afternoon
theidlerich
Especially true of the yellow flag lino - gave away one very obvious throw in to Stevenage when should have been ours! Thought ref was "talked" at by the St players far too often and was therefore reluctant to call a halt to their constant niggling tackles [which disrupted the game] and 'chats'. A stern warning to those players -and I include a few of ours in that - and a yellow shown much earlier may have altered the tone. Thought that Stevenage were disruptive deliberately; as for the time wasting at throw ins and goalie meanderings......
Begs the question of why so many refs and officials are relatively weak in their decision making?
THECHOIRBOY
I'm supportive of GJ but soft free kicks aren't the problem. Winning games is.

Every team who lost at the weekend will also be reflecting on 'what ifs' regarding referee decisions. I am sure even though stevenage won, they'll have similar views.
Nesty
theidlerich wrote:Especially true of the yellow flag lino - gave away one very obvious throw in to Stevenage when should have been ours! Thought ref was "talked" at by the St players far too often and was therefore reluctant to call a halt to their constant niggling tackles [which disrupted the game] and 'chats'. A stern warning to those players -and I include a few of ours in that - and a yellow shown much earlier may have altered the tone. Thought that Stevenage were disruptive deliberately; as for the time wasting at throw ins and goalie meanderings......
Begs the question of why so many refs and officials are relatively weak in their decision making?

brown paper envelopes
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
theidlerich wrote:Especially true of the yellow flag lino - gave away one very obvious throw in to Stevenage when should have been ours! Thought ref was "talked" at by the St players far too often and was therefore reluctant to call a halt to their constant niggling tackles [which disrupted the game] and 'chats'. A stern warning to those players -and I include a few of ours in that - and a yellow shown much earlier may have altered the tone. Thought that Stevenage were disruptive deliberately; as for the time wasting at throw ins and goalie meanderings......

brown paper envelopes
Correct. Corruption in lower league officiating has been evident for years. Hard to understand why any fan denies this.
theidlerich
Is it incompetence at those "overseeing" officials performances? Or is it also that the League managers prefer things as they are [i.e. pretty poor officials]? Surely there must be some, albeit quiet, clamouring for improvement?
Artemis
darreno wrote:I don't get all this '442 or 352' debate. We need to be adaptable to game conditions and respond to how our opposition play. But at home, we should not be starting 3 centre halves as you lose an attacking option. Away from home, yes maybe.
Doesnt that rather depend on how the two wide players in midfield operate? If they are more attacking wing backs then 352 seems more offensive then a flat back four with the full back not venturing forward. As you say, we shouldnt worry about formations, more about having the players who can adapt to the game situation.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote:

brown paper envelopes
Correct. Corruption in lower league officiating has been evident for years. Hard to understand why any fan denies this.
Come on RCS. You know full well the difference between corruption (of which you dont have a scintilla of evidence), and incompetence, unconcious bias and weakness, one or more of which explain the shite decision making we see every match at all levels.