where is the ambition?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
interesting comments in the paper version of todays Echo. worth a read
CS85
The only ambition at this club left in 2002 for stoke city.
theidlerich
Typical local paper - far too slow getting articles on-line! Can someone give a synopsis please?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:The only ambition at this club left in 2002 for stoke city.
Ah yes, the man who had no ambition or fight to build CTFC into a L1 side so left us.
horlickfanclub
My ambition is to see a winger run down the left and cross a decent ball and track back if needed. Second ambition is to see players in 1950's studded boots when we water the pitch at 2:50 p.m.
Nesty
found it

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... ved-421279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" ,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe the squad has quality throughout it and enough that would see us have a half decent season but not with the current manager.

Every week Gary Johnson persists in playing arguably our two most influential players, Harry Pell and Carl Winchester in positions that aren't natural to them and they fail to have the creative influence on the game that they would playing in positions that suit them..........."
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Basically an RNF post published in the Echo.

I assume the paper will publish opposing or pragmatic opinions as well? Or are JP and colleagues sharpening knives.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Basically an RNF post published in the Echo.

I assume the paper will publish opposing or pragmatic opinions as well? Or are JP and colleagues sharpening knives.
or smelling the coffee
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The guy says that "I believe the squad has quality throughout it...." yet also states "the transfer window was once again a huge disappointment and given how poor it was". Surely, we either have a quality squad resulting from a good window, or a poor squad resulting from a poor window - claiming that a poor window has resulted in a quality squad makes no sense, and suggests a lack of rational or nuanced thought, ergo; dismiss the whole opinion piece.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ah yes, the man who had no ambition or fight to build CTFC into a L1 side so left us.
My memory tells me he did make us a League 1 side and then left for pastures new, or have i misunderstood your post.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:
My memory tells me he did make us a League 1 side and then left for pastures new, or have i misunderstood your post.
Took us up to L1, but didn't have the stomach to stay and rebuild the team and try and keep us up and establish us there. Result; we went down and struggled the next season or two.

Ward on the other hand, had the ambition to try and make CTFC the best he could, and achieved our highest ever league finish in our history - a record which doesn't look like it will be beaten any time soon.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The guy says that "I believe the squad has quality throughout it...." yet also states "the transfer window was once again a huge disappointment and given how poor it was". Surely, we either have a quality squad resulting from a good window, or a poor squad resulting from a poor window - claiming that a poor window has resulted in a quality squad makes no sense, and suggests a lack of rational or nuanced thought, ergo; dismiss the whole opinion piece.
the players that have improved the squad were signed just before the Stevenage game (technically inside the window, but not until we had played 6 games (incl cups)) - maybe thats what he meant?
confused.com
Never understand why Echo does these. I read the head line, think 'and you are?' then move on. Waste of paper space that could be taken up by an interview, professional jurno etc etc etc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Never understand why Echo does these. I read the head line, think 'and you are?' then move on. Waste of paper space that could be taken up by an interview, professional jurno etc etc etc
Exactly, if people cared about what random fans banging on had to say, we'd have a lot more viewers of this website.

The fact professionals at the Echo seem OK to allow a random bloke take column inches they could be doing suggests to me they condone the message and tone, and it is easier to get Joe Bloggs to write it than put their own neck on the line.
Shade
confused.com wrote:Never understand why Echo does these. I read the head line, think 'and you are?' then move on. Waste of paper space that could be taken up by an interview, professional jurno etc etc etc
Exactly, if people cared about what random fans banging on had to say, we'd have a lot more viewers of this website.

The fact professionals at the Echo seem OK to allow a random bloke take column inches they could be doing suggests to me they condone the message and tone, and it is easier to get Joe Bloggs to write it than put their own neck on the line.
Easy way to fill the column inches.
CS85
Ah yes, the man who had no ambition or fight to build CTFC into a L1 side so left
:lol:

No mention of dragging us up three divisions then.
You really are a 1st class bellend RCS.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:
Ah yes, the man who had no ambition or fight to build CTFC into a L1 side so left

little mo
CS85 wrote:

SC took us from Doc Martens League to League 1, then moved on to bigger things, good luck to him. You RCS are trying to knock his ambition in a thread entitled, "where is the ambition".
drgm
We are in danger of becoming perennial strugglers in League 2 - something we've never been up till now
theidlerich
drgm wrote:We are in danger of becoming perennial strugglers in League 2 - something we've never been up till now
So where do you believe we [CTFC] have gone wrong? Is it the managerial team; the squad [currently untried as yet] last year and the early part of this; or The Board? Can't blame the pitch though [looks stunning at the moment but cuts up easily if you notice]!
Hubert Parry
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The guy says that "I believe the squad has quality throughout it...." yet also states "the transfer window was once again a huge disappointment and given how poor it was". Surely, we either have a quality squad resulting from a good window, or a poor squad resulting from a poor window - claiming that a poor window has resulted in a quality squad makes no sense, and suggests a lack of rational or nuanced thought, ergo; dismiss the whole opinion piece.
I am not convinced those two statements are necessarily mutually exclusive. You can have an incomplete squad which has quality (e.g. a squad comprising of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, and De Gea only, has quality, even if it is incomplete). His statement regarding the disappointment of the window could be referring to GJ's failure to bring in players for certain positions.

This is not a view I share, for the avoidance of doubt. It has been stated many times that Moore is a right back, and we have cover in the shape of Dawson and Winchester if necessary. Cranston has cover in the form of DO'S.

It remains to be seen how successful the window has been and how much quality there is in the squad but it may take a few weeks for this to be realised.

Also, to knock another matter on its head in respect of "square pegs in round holes" - footballers these days are trained on their attributes, rather than positions. Professional footballers, even at our level, should be capable of adopting several positions. Many teams, including the likes of Exeter, have a fluid style of play which requires the players to adopt several roles over the course of the 90+ minutes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fair points HP. Though he did say quality "throughout", rather than in pockets.

Re square pegs. Totally agree re flexible skills and players performing different jobs. It is a question of what is best for the team most of the time. Sellars and Cranston have similar attributes in terms of speed, crossing, skill, etc. However, over a period of games the team as a whole would do better having them in their most effective and impactful positions.

For example, we saw Winchester set up two goals with great overlapping from RB and he is doing a job there. However, over 30+ games, I believe more points will be won by having Winchester in positions where he can impact and assist more.
drgm
To answer 'theidlerich', I think the problem lies in the manager. We will continue to struggle until this is addressed.
To those who think we couldn't attract anyone better I say 'Seriously?'
confused.com
Drgm, agree with the sentiment. The inane argument always put forward is, do you want another MA or PB. This kind of presumes that we are so p1ss poor of a club that nobody of any standing or potential would ever be interested in us. Oddly they then argue we have the best manager in L2. Got to ask yourself if we are such a poor proposition, how we got him?
Shade
Confused, that argument isn't about that at all. "Do you want another MA or PB" refers to managers that are supposed to be good, widely seen as decent, but come in and royally f#!$ things up. Both of those were at least fairly well known before they came to us. GJ, despite what people are saying, still has the best interests of CTFC at heart and has put a squad together that has a lot of promise, despite a poor start to the season in terms of results.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In a way I wish they would only allow managerial changes at the end of the season, then all fans would know we have to wait all season before anything can decided about the manager, which would save all the pointless bickering all season.
confused.com
Bickering sir?? Merely pointing out that we would not by definition be left with the dregs of the managerial barrel should for any reason, GJ decided to call it at day.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Bickering sir?? Merely pointing out that we would not by definition be left with the dregs of the managerial barrel should for any reason, GJ decided to call it at day.
Correct. Plenty of exciting options out there I imagine, and when the time comes we must entrust PB and Co to find one.
Robin
confused.com wrote:Drgm, agree with the sentiment. The inane argument always put forward is, do you want another MA or PB. This kind of presumes that we are so p1ss poor of a club that nobody of any standing or potential would ever be interested in us. Oddly they then argue we have the best manager in L2. Got to ask yourself if we are such a poor proposition, how we got him?
I hear you confused but do you genuinely think there are many managers out there and available with a proven track record like GJ has? He's won a number of promotions with similar sized clubs to us and clear has some pull when it comes to media and attracting players. If he did leave (which I think would happen should we be in a relegation battle) then people need to be realistic about who would come in, I suspect it would be a big gamble on someone who has never managed or someone who has had a brief spell of success and been fired a few times since.

Anyway everything I've seen so far suggests another poor season but almost certainly an improvement on the last one. We should have enough about us to avoid a direct relegation scrap but doubtful we will challenge the top half, it's not really good enough but we won't sack GJ on the back of it either.