GJ takes responsibility

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Best interview of the season here: http://bit.ly/GJResponsibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Hopefully that will appease a few and we can move on to more important things now.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Interesting to hear that GJ feels Winnie is a RB and that is his position.
Shade
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Interesting to hear that GJ feels Winnie is a RB and that is his position.
And that, apparently, "Winnie loves it there", which is an important point you left out.
Si Robin
So are we assuming that Winch (I don't like Winnie for some reason) is officially a rb now? I've not watched the interview as at work.
Shade
Si Robin wrote:So are we assuming that Winch (I don't like Winnie for some reason) is officially a rb now? I've not watched the interview as at work.

Well, GJ's quote, more or less, when talking about round pegs/square holes and the suggestion that Pell is out of position on the left, was that Winchester is, in fact, "in the right position", he's played there before for Oldham and he loves playing there, and he's got an Irish connection with Dawson down that right hand side that's working well already.

Nothing to say that he'll keep playing him there indefinitely, but a strong suggestion that Winch/Winnie/Winiesta/Carl Winchester will be playing right back for a while.

Let's hope he does like playing right back because we really don't want a player of his quality getting pissed off at a lack of opportunities in a preferred position.
Robin
I agree that Winchester has done well at right back in the games I've seen but he's sorely missed in central midfield too.
kora
There's a lot of competition in central midfield with the addition of Morrell and Sellars back next week. Winchester may have to be content, and he allegedly is, for the foreseeable.
confused.com
Totally agree Robin. the discussion should not be on the peg / hole. But whether a good RB is required more as an equally good creative midfield player. We do miss his ability to see a pass into space as opposed to feet
Nesty
As I said on another thread our season starts now.
confused.com
You also said somewhere we have wasted part of the season lol
Shade
confused.com wrote:Totally agree Robin. the discussion should not be on the peg / hole. But whether a good RB is required more as an equally good creative midfield player. We do miss his ability to see a pass into space as opposed to feet
On the same lines, though, we need a right back that can put good balls into the box and he did that twice v Exeter.
confused.com
Yes, he is good in that position, has been one of the most consistent
Nesty
confused.com wrote:You also said somewhere we have wasted part of the season lol
Yes - we have wasted the first 5 or 6 games ......... and our season starts now !!

and I believe that now we have a squad capable of competing we get behind GJ and "the only way is up"
vickeryc
Loving the positivity, keep it up!
Lord Elpuz
Bravo Nesty and vicaryc

The last thing we require at this moment is a witch hunt against Mr Johnson. We must all remain stoically and steadfastly behind him and the team to get us through the early teething issues. It will come good. Keep the faith.

Looking across the personnel in most positions compared to last season, we are already looking much stronger. Results and points will follow.
Nesty
Lord Elpuz wrote:Bravo Nesty and vicaryc

The last thing we require at this moment is a witch hunt against Mr Johnson. We must all remain stoically and steadfastly behind him and the team to get us through the early teething issues. It will come good. Keep the faith.

Looking across the personnel in most positions compared to last season, we are already looking much stronger. Results and points will follow.

indeed.
Shade
I don't know if they do, but hopefully the transfer window for the EFL closes before the season starts as well next season and everyone knows where they are by the big kick off, rather than dicking around for the first month because other clubs and players don't know what they're doing.
Johnsons Red Army
Shade wrote:I don't know if they do, but hopefully the transfer window for the EFL closes before the season starts as well next season and everyone knows where they are by the big kick off, rather than dicking around for the first month because other clubs and players don't know what they're doing.
"The transfer window for the English Football League also remains unaffected, with clubs able to sell to lower division sides unless the EFL decides to bring its window in line with the top flight."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... son-starts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Ah, ok. Personally, I think the deadline should be a day or two before the season starts but you can make up to three loan signings if necessary between then and end of August, in case of early long-term injuries, finding your squad is short, or it just turns out you've just got a c!#p squad.
confused.com
Think it is only a matter of time until the FL get in line. Makes sense to me. Would have been in a much better place to have had this squad in and settled by now. Of course the reverse argument is. Also applicable in that we wouldn't have been able to make our signings outside the window. Howeve as we seem to be looking at free agents, we would be OK I guess. Anywa, a win tomorrow wil be nice and is expected
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Correct a win is expected. Failure to beat a poor Yeovil team would verge on unacceptable and would make one wonder where the next win will be found.
longmover
GJ has stuck his neck out for the team and he's going to want a big response from his players this weekend, a loss and that bus ride home is going to be frosty.
horlickfanclub
The bus might be thinly populated with our Bristol area based staff not coming all the way.