Strikers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
We seem to have enough strikes numerically, but seem to be struggling to hit the net.
which two are RNF posters ideal pairing or should we go with three up front at home?
theidlerich
Personally I haven't seen enough of the 'newbies' [Eisa apart] to make a considered judgement at this stage. Other posters may be aware that I am not a fan of DW so would not include him or even use the term 'striker'; sorry to say. Eisa, though needs the ball passed to him to run at the defence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't know enough about what Hinds or Gordon offer or what their game is.

In L2 you always need a big man up front so Graham one of my two.

Mo potentially kicked out of games too often to play 90 mins. So would alternate him with the strong grit and 'nasty' play of Holman, our best natural scorer.

When I see Gordon and Hinds I may change my view.
Benctfc
I would like to see Eisa and Holman start together as I think they will compliment each other well and make us play on the floor which is when we look our best. It's alright having a big striker but if he is too slow it means the other striker usually Eisa gets marked out the game as he is the only threat I would rather see more movement off the ball up top.

As for Graham is he still injured? Can't remember if he was on the bench Saturday but can't see him being chucked in and can't see DW starting either after Saturday so I might get my wish of Eisa and Holman.
confused.com
My personal preference would be Alana Taylor and one of the others :)
Shade
Sellars, Eisa, Dawson as a front three, just to see how that works out. If it doesn't, switch Eisa out wide, Sellars in behind and the big man (either one) in the middle. My hope would be that Sellars, Eisa and Dawson could out-trick, out-pace and out-pass any L2 defence. You don't always need a big man, especially if you get the ball down and make good choices. Eisa had enough assists last season to suggest he does make the right choices.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Not sure you can play Eisa and Holman together with the amount of long ball that's get played in League Two. Don't think I've ever seen Cranners play a ball on the floor and he's been our best defender this year. I would have thought one of Graham and Wright need to play. Tonight I would pick Graham with Hinds or Holman as Mo hasn't been at his best recently.
Robin
I'd go with Eisa and Holman/Wright myself. Hinds looks nowhere near ready to be starting for us.
Leveller
Robin wrote:I'd go with Eisa and Holman/Wright myself. Hinds looks nowhere near ready to be starting for us.
Seriously? As a visiting Bristol City fan, I would be quite happy seeing Hinds start for us in the Championship, though he is young and probably not ready to start regularly.

He looked great in the cup games he played for us, a real threat and scored excellent goals.
MSB
He's played about 45 minutes in total for us so far, so I'd say it's pretty difficult to pass judgement on him.

Was out on Saturday with concussion so hopefully nothing too serious.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leveller wrote:
Robin wrote:I'd go with Eisa and Holman/Wright myself. Hinds looks nowhere near ready to be starting for us.
Seriously? As a visiting Bristol City fan, I would be quite happy seeing Hinds start for us in the Championship, though he is young and probably not ready to start regularly.

He looked great in the cup games he played for us, a real threat and scored excellent goals.
Don't take any notice of Robin.
cliffy90
Talking of strikers, Jaanai Gordon will be out for a few months with a knee injury, according to GJ.
horlickfanclub
He did well till crocked.
confused.com
Still of the opinion that Alana Taylor would spice up the attack
Robin
Leveller wrote:

Yes, common consensus seems to be that he's not quite ready. Seemed lost when he came on at Yeovil as lacked the physical strength or technical guile to beat a man. I'm sure there is a good player in there but for the moment I feel he needs to be eased into the team from the bench.
thetonga
Has anyone who is saying Holman been to any games last season or this?! He's had enough chances and produced nothing in L2. He is a shadow of the player we had in the Conference. I think a spell away on loan is the best solution for him.

I haven't been impressed with Graham or Hinds thus far but hard to judge on limited appearances. Eisa seems to have dropped off a bit since he signed the new deal but we may have lost the element of surprise with him as other League Two teams are aware of his game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
thetonga wrote:Has anyone who is saying Holman been to any games last season or this?! He's had enough chances and produced nothing in L2. He is a shadow of the player we had in the Conference. I think a spell away on loan is the best solution for him.

I haven't been impressed with Graham or Hinds thus far but hard to judge on limited appearances. Eisa seems to have dropped off a bit since he signed the new deal but we may have lost the element of surprise with him as other League Two teams are aware of his game.
Holman clearly has not been fit, and still isn't. He may never recover from what has obviously been a problematic injury.

When he was coming back to fitness last season he demolished Crewe before getting injured again, and this season he made a goal against Exeter out of nothing, showing the type of play no one else in the squad can, before getting injured again.

If he doesn't get fit enough for L2 this season, it may be that he will never recover sufficiently for League football. Like a lower league Matt Jansen.
horlickfanclub
I hope he proves how fit he really is.Still a good player .I will miss watching him. He will be back in the league in January.
Alf
We are currently creating enough chances in the box to score half a dozen goals a game. Trouble is, the players we have in the box are standing around like they're waiting for a bus. We don't react quickly enough.
Artemis
Alf wrote:We are currently creating enough chances in the box to score half a dozen goals a game. Trouble is, the players we have in the box are standing around like they're waiting for a bus. We don't react quickly enough.
Or perhaps the team are still gelling?
Robin
I said it before but we have the nucleas of a good team here, with a top quality striker and consistent selection we could challenge for promotion in my opinion.
Alf
I agree that Gary is still in the process of getting the team right and I think he is very nearly there but I think we need to be looking at the quality of service into the box. Cranston showed the way last week with a brilliant ball to Dawson. Was this a one off or is it something we can recreate on a regular basis.