Final straw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
Now im no GJ basher I have defended him on here a lot but tonight was the night I lost faith in him to continue as manager of this football club. I struggle to think of many if any worse tactics from a mnager than what I saw tonight.

We started with the usual players playing out of position we had 4 midfielder yet not one playing out wide so we relied on full backs to create width which they struggled with it was all unbalanced we managed one shot on target all half. We then unbeleivebly took our two strikers off at HT when losing .... and replaced them with one who has barely scored in his career and isnt a striker and pushing Pell up front I mean what was he thinking Pell didn't win a header all night and looked completely out of his depth up front. It was summed up when our best player Morrell (Along with Taylor-Moore who aren't even ours) was taken off ahead of the other midfielders who were no where near his standard I couldn't beleive it. The two Bristol City lads and Flinders came out with credit the rest were poor.

What was worse was Newport were god awful yet somehow managed to beat us it just shows how poor we really were. GJ seems to have lost the plot tactically and with his recruitment Baker needs a long think of where this football club is going under his managment. I would prefer Gary to go now and keep his reputation in tact rather than let this drag on like it did with Yates time here.
Robin
Sacking now is wrong in my opinion, he needs 3-4 more games to start getting results but the board should be looking at potential contingencies. Who is out there though with a better or comparable record to GJ to take us forward from here? I want to get back into league one over the next couple of seasons not to float around in the bottom half of league two.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is not just about a good record, it is about a good future. There are hundreds of managers out there.
horlickfanclub
Floating in league two might be the best we can hope for Robin. With the current outlook I will be grateful if we are in our current position come May 2018.
Good comment Regency.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
League One looks a long way off. We have to push the boat out financially to survive in League Two. I think we'd have to at least double our regular non-TV income to be able to get up and stay up in League One.

It is not about lack of ambition, or being happy to float, it is simply about money. Everyone at the club wants us to be doing better in a higher league; but wanting it and being able to afford it are different things. Childish to think otherwise.
confused.com
I hear what you are saying RCS, the niggle I have, is that surely out budget doesn't mean we are to spend another year hoping there are a couple of teams worse than us? The rest of the league can't be spending that much more than us? Have to admit I don't know. However we should at least be aiming for L1, may not get there, but we shouldn't be dodging relegation either. This season may well turn around, who knows. But any management or board should have a plan B ready to run with. I used to think squad rotation meant, resting players and bringing others in. Not letting players play in every position in the squad
Robin
Everything I hear suggests we have a solid mid-table budget for league two, therefore we are underacheiving. As for league one clubs smaller than us can go up and thrive no reason we cannot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Everything I hear suggests we have a solid mid-table budget for league two, therefore we are underacheiving. As for league one clubs smaller than us can go up and thrive no reason we cannot.
Name the smaller clubs. And then consider their financial situation.
cheltsaxon
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Everything I hear suggests we have a solid mid-table budget for league two, therefore we are underacheiving. As for league one clubs smaller than us can go up and thrive no reason we cannot.
Burton thats it i think.
Nesty
I said the other day that our season starts now, I still feel confident that once we get these niggly injuries to Holman, Atangana and Graham out of the way we will start to win games, and, as is losing a habit, so can winning be a habit. It is easy for me to see both sides of the argument, another season like last season is not what we need , nor should be endured, and it is easy to look at the picture now and see doom and gloom. Some of Johnsons decisions seem odd and add to the argument against him. But I say give him another 4 or 5 games..........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheltsaxon wrote:
Burton thats it i think.
Indeed, with their free land from Pirelli and massively subsidised new stadium, which probably makes more money on non-match-days than we do on match-days.

Delving into the finances on companies house:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Year ending 2016 Burton had income of £4.2m and made a loss of ~£10k. This income is obviously from Championship TV money etc; the previous year (ending 2015) their income was £2.7m and they made a loss of ~£455k. CTFC don't report P&L due to being a small company.

I would imagine we would never be able to take on £455k of debt to compete in L1; mainly due to the value of our assets:

CTFC fixed assets 2016 =~£2m. Net assets = £500k

BAFC fixed assets 2016 = ~£6.2m. Net assets = ~£5m

Burton's net assets are c.10x the value of ours, so in a sport where success is determined by finances, is it any wonder they can bankroll a team in a higher division than we can? Their 2015 debt was almost the size of our net assets - we could not sustain that.

Their Chairman (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/offi ... pointments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has several other business roles, and their board is bigger than ours by the looks of things.

Until we have an influx of cash, we cannot compare to Burton.
Robin
cheltsaxon wrote:
Burton thats it i think.
Burton, Stevenage, Fleetwood (although clearly down to funding), then you have sides like Rochdale, Colchester have done more than survice in league one on smaller crowds, Yeovil comparable club got to the Championship.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Burton, Stevenage, Fleetwood (although clearly down to funding), then you have sides like Rochdale, Colchester have done more than survice in league one on smaller crowds, Yeovil comparable club got to the Championship.
See above re: Burton's net assets being 10x that of ours in £ terms. Different ball park.

Have not checked but I imagine Colchester will be similar due to their stadium. When I have more than a few minutes spare I will look through all of those clubs, and see if any are comparable to us financially, or if they are all multiple times bigger.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Indeed, with their free land from Pirelli and massively subsidised new stadium, which probably makes more money on non-match-days than we do on match-days.

Delving into the finances on companies house:

Year ending 2016 Burton had income of £4.2m and made a loss of ~£10k. This income is obviously from Championship TV money etc; the previous year (ending 2015) their income was £2.7m and they made a loss of ~£455k. CTFC don't report P&L due to being a small company.

I would imagine we would never be able to take on £455k of debt to compete in L1; mainly due to the value of our assets:

CTFC fixed assets 2016 =~£2m. Net assets = £500k

BAFC fixed assets 2016 = ~£6.2m. Net assets = ~£5m

Burton's net assets are c.10x the value of ours, so in a sport where success is determined by finances, is it any wonder they can bankroll a team in a higher division than we can? Their 2015 debt was almost the size of our net assets - we could not sustain that.

Their Chairman (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/offi ... pointments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has several other business roles, and their board is bigger than ours by the looks of things.

Until we have an influx of cash, we cannot compare to Burton.
Employee remuneration for last financial year was £3.6m
Nesty
and as I have said before Burton have had three lucrative cup games at Old Trafford
Robin
The TV revenue for Burton will play a massive part in that wage budget.