Injuries

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Since GJ"s reign at CTFC I've never known us to have so many injuries / illnesses to players (if anyone can point out another time then please do). We had numerous injuries during the conference season and ongoing injuries to players since. I know some injuries are unavoidable but we really seem to be having our share of 'bad luck'. Are players being bought back to quick?
Shade
I can't really think of any that seemed to be avoidable other than maybe Dan Holman's first game back last season after injury, when he got injured again straight away...but then that was from a dodgy tackle that turned his ankle, I think. Downes' legs have basically had it, Dayton was just one of those injury prone players like Anderton or Wilshire, AMS had had a fairly long injury lay-off already before getting another one when with us, Asa Hall was very unlucky. As for niggles and knocks...I think this season we've just been very unlucky. You can't legislate for 2 centre back having their noses broken in consecutive games and then the first of those getting a blow on his already broken nose in the very next game, or Forster doing his ACL. Sellars hamstring...well, hamstrings can go anytime, but he's not been rushed back.

Generally, I think our luck has just been bloody awful in all aspects so far this season, except for the tie v West Ham.
horlickfanclub
Nigel was signed crocked. Dawson was signed crocked. Hamstrings are often dodgy. No news on how Downes is after running well at Yate. He might make the bench tomorrow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Have we made any changes to the training pitch? Arsenal always get injuries due to their hard training pitch, so just wondering if we have a similar problem.

Though generally it is a sign of the type of player we can sign; for a good player to be released by a club and for us to be the best option who wants him, it probably means there is something wrong with them injury wise. We have to get the balance right between getting kids and rejects, and good experienced but injury prone pros. Too many of each and it is a season of struggle. The right balance and you will do ok.