Cheltenham Town v Colchester United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/ColUhome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
striker options limited again
Shade
So Graham is fit and starts after all in what will probably be a 4-3-3. Sellars and Hinds injured. Grimes in for Boyle to allow his face to heal a little, I assume.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morrell or Pell on the wing?
Nesty
a great result - our season has started, a huge relief and lifts pressure off of GJ. well done to the lads
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great to see a proper eleven taking shape. Finishing the game with Moore at RB and Winchester at CM a delight to see. Just hope Dawson's injury is not too serious.
Nham68
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Great to see a proper eleven taking shape. Finishing the game with Moore at RB and Winchester at CM a delight to see. Just hope Dawson's injury is not too serious.
Thought Dawson was subbed as on yellow ? He went straight onto bench from what I saw (not down tunnel)...
Robin
Comfortable very although once again we were wasteful infront of goal.

Ratings
Flinders - Another quiet game but forced into two stops and dealt with both, a big improvement over Flatt (6)
Winchester - Good player for this level. Comfortable on the ball and goes forward well, you can see he's spent his entire career in league one (8)
Grimes - Largely fine today but has a habit of getting caught on the ball, in several games and it happened again today (6)
Moore -I like the look of this lad, tough, strong, mobile, I hope we can keep him for the season (7.5)
Cranston - superb until they brought their sub on who caused him a lot of problems (7)
Pell - Huge improvement since moving into centre of midfield (7.5)
Storer - probably the weak link in the team now but did fine today (6)
Morrell - I like this lad and think we should be looking to bring him here permanently. Small in stature but has time on the ball, can beat a man and pick a pass (7.5)
Eisa - Not quite at his best and well marshalled by Innis but got his goal (7)
Graham - Reminds me of Paul Connor, tried hard but didn't make the impact and you could see he would miss the penalty before it was taken too (6)
Dawson - superb again for seventy minutes, so much energy and work rate (8)

Subs:
Wright - missed a sitter but otherwise fine (6)
Boyle - marshalled the back line well and rarely troubled (6)
Gordon - reminds me of Ashley Vincent, clearly got some potential but still a rough diamond, guilty of dwelling on the ball at times (6)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nham68 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Great to see a proper eleven taking shape. Finishing the game with Moore at RB and Winchester at CM a delight to see. Just hope Dawson's injury is not too serious.
Thought Dawson was subbed as on yellow ? He went straight onto bench from what I saw (not down tunnel)...
Plus he had been limping since staying down after the foul on him and when came back onto the bench was sharing an ice pack with Storer. Assume you watch from the Skip if you can't spot such obvious details?
Jon Palmer
Video interviews with Gary Johnson and Jamie Grimes now here: http://bit.ly/ColUhome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rulistening
Goals! I forgot what to do when they go in!! Still missed a few sitters but what a vast improvement that is. Not only are we playing nice football but we are finally in a position to capitalize on this by sticking 3 points on the board.

I really hope we can keep Morrell, he has been a superb signing. However I'm not overly sold on Graham, seems a little bit like a donkey doesn't he.. Hopefully its still him settling in to the side and not a lack of ability.
Nham68
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nham68 wrote:
Plus he had been limping since staying down after the foul on him and when came back onto the bench was sharing an ice pack with Storer. Assume you watch from the Skip if you can't spot such obvious details?
Nope, form family stand...
Nham68
Rulistening wrote:Goals! I forgot what to do when they go in!! Still missed a few sitters but what a vast improvement that is. Not only are we playing nice football but we are finally in a position to capitalize on this by sticking 3 points on the board.

I really hope we can keep Morrell, he has been a superb signing. However I'm not overly sold on Graham, seems a little bit like a donkey doesn't he.. Hopefully its still him settling in to the side and not a lack of ability.
The service to Graham was poor .. no excuse for penalty miss or numerous offside.. but he had zero service to be fair.. only one decent ball in that was a stretch...
Shade
Dawson was touch and go to start due to hamstring which is why he was subbed. Stoz had been limping for 5 mins as well. Pell went straight down the tunnel at the end and Gordon had been struggling for several minutes.

Happy we won, of course, and the overall performance was decent and entertaining. BUT our last 20 minutes was pretty poor when 3-1 up against a team with 10 men, not seen out well at all. I'm not exxagerrating when I say we really should have scored 6 today with the chances we had and a really weak penalty. Against a better defence it's going to be 0 in our column again unless Dawson's firing and pulls one out.
asl
My first game, today. I thought Graham was poor and find it hard to believe that he's preferred to Wright. Eisa has pace and energy to burn and caused problems all match. Morrell and Dawson both worked really hard and I thought Pell and Storer had reasonable games, too. Back four...not so convinced, I'm afraid... Both CBs did okay - but any team better than Colchester would have had at least two, today, if not three.
Shade
And Robin, how on earth was Wright's header a "sitter"? I certainly wouldn't have scored it, and I think the definition of a sitter would be anyone can score it.
Shade
asl wrote:My first game, today. I thought Graham was poor and find it hard to believe that he's preferred to Wright.
2 start, 6 goals for the team. 3 games out, 0 scored. It's not always what you do on the ball.
RR88
Not sure how people can look for a weakness in a player today like Gragham, i was not won over previously but he caused the opposition so many problems it opened up areas for others. It was a great team performance and nice to actually see Cranston get the credit he deserves. I don't care what anyone says he was over criticised last year, mostly by idiots who like to have a boo boy!

We now have something to build on so let's unite and push forwards!.......
Player2 Has Joined
Dawson, Moore, Mo, Morrell and Cranston all very good today. Thought Flinders commanded his area well, where maybe Flatt would have sat back a bit and seemed to inspire a bit more confidence at the back. At times I thought we played some brilliant football, and others a bit complacent. Could have been punished at the back on another day, while should have scored more. Seem to be too many cross shots rather than a player picking someone out, or just putting their laces through it. Felt a bit sorry for Graham, obviously trying, but seems frustrated and not up to full fitness yet. Seemed to be coming in for some unfair criticism from a few in the PRE. Hopefully not the new Cranston in that regard. All in all very encouraging though!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
theidlerich
Liked the look of Graham and Eisa up front; with a little match sharpness from Graham after a couple of games hopefully could expect the beginnings of a decent partnership. Wish any one of four or five others had taken the penalty though! Morrell; Dawson, Pell to name three. Thought Dawson MoM with Mellor and Cranston not far behind. Cranston’s slip in the first minute – thanks to the watering of the centre of the pitch – do this with 30 mins to go NOT just before kick off!!!! First half really good teamwork and deserved to be well ahead. Defence appeared sound too. After the red we seemed to ease off; very sloppy with no killer instinct; passing went to pieces; far too elaborate or too slow to get the ball away into a danger area. Really should have been 5 or 6 at least! However I’ll take three.
Alf
Would just like to add what a difference Flinders has made to our defence. He looks solid and confident and runs the box. Excellent display from the lads today but to be picky, we need to tidy up things a bit up front. Too many off-sides and wayward 'killer' passes but as I say, a bit picky.
ctfc-fan
Couldn't go today but just listening to the radio it sounded so positive. It sounded like attack after attack unlike why we're normally used to hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shade
I think you'll find Cranston didn't slip in the first minute - he took his eye off the ball and stood on it. A typical Cranston moment but luckily Flinders did well to stop the attacker getting a shot and then Cranston redeemed himself with a great cross for the first goal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
asl wrote:My first game, today. I thought Graham was poor and find it hard to believe that he's preferred to Wright.
2 start, 6 goals for the team. 3 games out, 0 scored. It's not always what you do on the ball.
Section of CTFC fans have always failed to notice and appreciate off the ball movement and play. A shame.
horlickfanclub
Yep.
Nesty
highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDm2ygyM3H4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Mo claiming the 2nd goal ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Player2 Has Joined wrote:Dawson, Moore, Mo, Morrell and Cranston all very good today. Thought Flinders commanded his area well, where maybe Flatt would have sat back a bit and seemed to inspire a bit more confidence at the back. At times I thought we played some brilliant football, and others a bit complacent. Could have been punished at the back on another day, while should have scored more. Seem to be too many cross shots rather than a player picking someone out, or just putting their laces through it. Felt a bit sorry for Graham, obviously trying, but seems frustrated and not up to full fitness yet. Seemed to be coming in for some unfair criticism from a few in the PRE. Hopefully not the new Cranston in that regard. All in all very encouraging though!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
So frustrating hearing yet more reports of morons in the PRE.
Ralph
Perfect cross by Cranston for the goal