Brian Graham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Thought it was a bit harsh for him to get subbed today, yes the penalty didn't help his cause but he always running into the right positions and laying the ball of well. Some of the crosses from the right hand side in the 2nd half weren't brilliant either so didn't have much to attack and players were holding onto the ball far took long rather than pass to him.

He needs a goal as you could hear his frustration before he got subbed, He'll come good.
Player2 Has Joined
longmover wrote:Thought it was a bit harsh for him to get subbed today, yes the penalty didn't help his cause but he always running into the right positions and laying the ball of well. Some of the crosses from the right hand side in the 2nd half weren't brilliant either so didn't have much to attack and players were holding onto the ball far took long rather than pass to him.

He needs a goal as you could hear his frustration before he got subbed, He'll come good.
GJ said it was down to lack of match fitness, and was planning to take him off after 60 mins.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
longmover
fair enough
Robin
He reminds me of Paul Connor.
theidlerich
..............harsh.
paperboy
Robin wrote:He reminds me of Paul Connor.
Not a bad comparison Robin.

Not great news really.

We've signed three strikers and I'm not sure any of them are better than what we already have.
I-Love-CTFC
Bit harsh on Paul Connor.
Player2 Has Joined
paperboy wrote:
Not a bad comparison Robin.

Not great news really.

We've signed three strikers and I'm not sure any of them are better than what we already have.
We just need two of them to come good and form a partnership. At the moment it seems like there's little link up play, or knowledge of runs that a player might make. There were plenty of opportunities today to cut a ball back or pick out a player running to the far post, when instead the player on the ball simply half shot and half crossed. It'll come.....hopfelly.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fans need to stop with this 'harsh to be subbed' stuff. Whether after 20 mins or 80 mins football is a squad game and I expect to see 14 play every game. Unless making a tactical change then the subs are for fitness and energy reasons, so usually always a striker, or both and a midfielder: ie the players who do most running.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Fans need to stop with this 'harsh to be subbed' stuff. Whether after 20 mins or 80 mins football is a squad game and I expect to see 14 play every game. Unless making a tactical change then the subs are for fitness and energy reasons, so usually always a striker, or both and a midfielder: ie the players who do most running.

Calm down dear, I was unaware he was subbed for fitness reason, prior to me posting.
Shade
Yes, unaware and making assumptions, which is what GJ was alluding to in his post match interview when he mentioned maybe he should start a twitter account to let some fans know some truths rather than settling for some of the rubbish he's been hearing lately. He's not going to, though - what would be the fun in people knowing the truth and not jumping to conclusions.
Artemis
I thought Graham was one of the key reasons for our improved forward play. He aint going to be a 20 a season guy, but he wins the ball has good movement and is an extra defender when needed. More Alsop than Connor, me thinks.
Poor penalty and Dawson should have had the ball off him. But they'll learn from that.
Rulistening
Maybe im being a bit too harsh on him. He hasn't really done much wrong par the pen miss today in his defence but I just feel like something about his play is missing? just comes across a tad clumsy but I guess so does Danny Wright. I do agree he wont ever be a 20 goal a season striker and as long as he can do the required knock ons and knock downs from headers he will do just fine. Just been a bit disappointing in his performances overall in terms of goal scoring opportunities he seems to create

And more in his defence is the goals we score when he is in the lineup! Quite enjoy when we play him haha.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Fans need to stop with this 'harsh to be subbed' stuff. Whether after 20 mins or 80 mins football is a squad game and I expect to see 14 play every game. Unless making a tactical change then the subs are for fitness and energy reasons, so usually always a striker, or both and a midfielder: ie the players who do most running.

Calm down dear, I was unaware he was subbed for fitness reason, prior to me posting.
That is my point. Even if match fit, I generally expect a striker to be taken off even if playing well and one a hat trick. Squad game and not harsh, that is squad management.
SHislop
To be honest I thought that him and Mo linked up well together. Looks like more of a natural partnership than Mo and Danny
Si Robin
SHislop, I was just about to post the exact same thing. In the first half they really seemed to gel and that continued in the second.

I thought the only thing missing from Graham's performance yesterday was a goal. The pen was shocking, but his reaction for a few mins afterwards tells you he doesn't need to be told that. Everything else he did had a positive impact and, but for Jamie Grimes being in the way, he would certainly have tapped in Eisa's fantastic pass for our 3rd goal.

He was also a positive defensively, at one point being in the left-back position after a deadball and helping clear any danger.
horlickfanclub
Graham had a really good game today and will contribute a lot to the pattern of play .He is a handful for defenders.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Graham had a really good game today and will contribute a lot to the pattern of play .He is a handful for defenders.
I think he'll chip in with 10+ goals as well to compliment the work he does in helping the team score.
Sprout Picker
Thought he had a decent game. A goal will do him good but he seemed to link the play well and bring others into the game in good positions.
Benctfc
I thought he did ok he needs to sharpen up in front of goal but that will come hopefully. He won a lot more flick ons than Wright does and is much more athletic and mobile meaning he gets involved more and is easier to find. His movement is far superior to Wright and created more space for Eisa. He's an upgrade on Wright at this level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:I thought he did ok he needs to sharpen up in front of goal but that will come hopefully. He won a lot more flick ons than Wright does and is much more athletic and mobile meaning he gets involved more and is easier to find. His movement is far superior to Wright and created more space for Eisa. He's an upgrade on Wright at this level.
Precisely, his physique, movement, touch and awareness makes him look like a proper player; the type I always think we lack up front compared to other teams when watching pre-match warm ups, so good to have one of our own.
mozzo
In a time of poverty and chaos Brian could be our new messiah.
Lord Elpuz
Very encouraged to see the positive comments about Brian Graham. He's not fully fit and certainly not quite match fit either. When he is properly fit, we shall have another technically outstanding footballer (along with Dawson, Winchester and Morrell, I am also tempted to add Flinders to that grouping as he had a commanding game). Our players need to capitalise on Graham's intelligent movement, to feed him the ball or use the space he creates. We are not quite there yet, but I do believe that a Mo/Graham partnership will leave a lot of League 2 defences flat footed.
paperboy
Well it's true he's not fully fit,but just how fit do you need to be to take a penalty? :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:Well it's true he's not fully fit,but just how fit do you need to be to take a penalty? :-)
Plenty of players from Messi downwards have failed to convert penalties. It is what they do the rest of the time which is more important.
kora
I've got a couple of friends in Scotland who reckon once he gets up to full speed will be a star at this level and find it hard to believe we got him. They're both serious football people so the best is yet to come hopefully.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:I've got a couple of friends in Scotland who reckon once he gets up to full speed will be a star at this level and find it hard to believe we got him. They're both serious football people so the best is yet to come hopefully.
Whilst good to hear, the caveat is that as Scotland residents they more than likely over rate the Scottish Championship. It is in no shape or form the same as the EFL Championship. Robin says the Scottish Championship is akin to the Conference. Take a midpoint between Conference and Championship and you are at the level CTFC hope to operate at. So glad we have Graham.
horlickfanclub
Can Robin explain how he is an expert on Scottish football please.Graham has played in the Premier a lot.
Robin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Graham_(footballer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Spent majority of his career up there outside the Premiership.
Artemis
Robin wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Graham_(footballer)

Spent majority of his career up there outside the Premiership.
"Majority" doesn't necessarily preclude "a lot"....
Artemis
Brian was with clubs in the SPL from 2013 - 2016. Last season he won promotion to the SPL. Mike Duff played most of his career outside the EPL, but in most CTFC supporters eyes he's a Premiership player.

I pleased we've got 'Billy' at the club. He and Mo will showed signs of a good partnership. And Billys reaction when missed the penalty said everything about his passion to do well here.