Register    Login    Search    FAQ

CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY

Page 3 of 3 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 18:46 

Ben2 wrote:
Agree too. Dillon is a good player and maybe some sour grapes from people who say he isn’t (because we wish he’d joined us!)

No one has said he isn’t good. He was awesome for us in a league we pissed over. All I and others have said is he has no football league experience and there is no evidence to suggest he will cope any better than Collins being thrown into a team which has struggled.

Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 18:47 

Chris FGR wrote:
Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.

Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 19:07 

Whenever anyone mentions ‘Vinces millions’ I ALWAYS think of this! Especially with his crowning folly just off the m5...

https://youtu.be/8wNqNO3jqkk

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 19:24 

As usual two of the bottom three lose. Whilst those above pick up points to maintain the gap.

Chesterfield the winners this time, beating Luton 2-0. I guess Luton weren’t up for the physical battle and Chesterfield’s new signings were. Spirerites out of the bottom two on 24 points.

Barnet lose away to Crawley 2-0. Rooted on 20 points but with a superior goal difference.

FGR manage one shot on goal at Swindon and deservedly lose 1-0. Back in the relegation zone on 23 points.

Yeovil get a good draw away at Tom Pope, 1-1 having let for 75 mins. 28 points.

Morecambe draw 1-1 at home to Stevenage to move to 29 points. Ellison on the scoresheet once more.

Defeat for Crewe in Cumbria keeps them on 29.

Bottom up.

Barnet, played 27, points 20
FGR, played 27, points 23
Chesterfield, played 28, points 24
Yeovil, played 27, points 28
Crewe, played 27, points 29
Morecambe, played 27, points 29

Barnet close to a write off.

Remains to be seen which of Chesterfield’s and FGR’s windows will yield the biggest upturn.

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 20:51 

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:
Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.

Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.

If anyone can sap players of creativity and confidence it's Cooper. I'm still far from confident we'll stay up.

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 22:20 

Back in the zone now KG3. Chesterfield could kick on from here. Bums a'squeaking in the vale.

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 20:13 

As usual two of the bottom three lose. Whilst those above pick up points to maintain the gap.

Chesterfield the winners this time, beating Luton 2-0. I guess Luton weren’t up for the physical battle and Chesterfield’s new signings were. Spirerites out of the bottom two on 24 points.

Barnet lose away to Crawley 2-0. Rooted on 20 points but with a superior goal difference.

FGR manage one shot on goal at Swindon and deservedly lose 1-0. Back in the relegation zone on 23 points.

Yeovil get a good draw away at Tom Pope, 1-1 having let for 75 mins. 28 points.

Morecambe draw 1-1 at home to Stevenage to move to 29 points. Ellison on the scoresheet once more.

Defeat for Crewe in Cumbria keeps them on 29.

Bottom up.

Barnet, played 27, points 20
FGR, played 27, points 23
Chesterfield, played 28, points 24
Yeovil, played 27, points 28
Crewe, played 27, points 29
Morecambe, played 27, points 29

Barnet close to a write off.

Remains to be seen which of Chesterfield’s and FGR’s windows will yield the biggest upturn.

how long until a phone call is made to Mr Allen?

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 20:26 

Certainly entering Martin James Allen territory for the Bees.

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 21:26 

Back in the zone now KG3. Chesterfield could kick on from here. Bums a'squeaking in the vale.

I wouldn't be surprised if us and Barnet are six points adrift come the end of the first weekend in February. Hope I'm wrong.

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 23:17 

Wouldn't write anyone off yet. With just 7 games to go last season the bottom 4 looked like this:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

And yet, of course, 7 games later Newport were safe and Hartlepool were relegated. Which makes me realise that, being 11pts clear with 18 games to go, we are far from safe :/ though I don't think anyone hasn't realised that

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 23:26 

East End Robin wrote:
Wouldn't write anyone off yet. With just 7 games to go last season the bottom 4 looked like this:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

And yet, of course, 7 games later Newport were safe and Hartlepool were relegated. Which makes me realise that, being 11pts clear with 18 games to go, we are far from safe :/ though I don't think anyone hasn't realised that

Good reminder of how quickly things can change.

Be interesting to look at seven games before that. I.e which way was was the momentum going. Currently it is Grimsby who falling like a stone.

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 05:53 

East End Robin wrote:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

werent Hartlepool something like 15 points adrift at one point the season the pulled off their escape?

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 19:02 

Graham Westley appointed Barnet head coach until end of season

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018, 23:21 

Barnet getting cut off.

At one point it was Akinde magic, but Lincoln equalised at the Hive. 1-1 finish and entrenched in last place with 21 points.

FGR twice go behind at home to Cambridge, but the cash splash to find support for Doidge paid dividends with CD himself and new men Grubb (home debut) and Campbell (debut) both scoring to seal a 5-2 win. But for now FGR stay in the bottom two on 26.

One point ahead is Chesterfield in 22nd spot on 27 points. Anything Doidge and do Dennis can match. The dangerman scoring a late winner against Yeovil in Somerset.

Which leave Yeovil in 21st a point ahead on 28. They could be in the relegation zone this time next week as they are in Cup action. Playing Man U shouldn’t be enough to save the drowning Way, but the owner is running the club into the ground and keeping the hapless Way is the cheap option. A real risk the ‘famous non-League side’ will be returning to those ranks.

Defeats for Crewe (2-3, H, Wycombe) and Morecambe (0-1, A, Luton) leave them both on 29 points.

With Dennis looking reinvigorated and happy to stay at Chesterfield after their signings, and with Vince forking out League One money to attract players to the the village during the window the smart betting is on both these sides to survive.

My view is that Yeovil look most likely to join Barnet with low ambition and probably the worst manager in the division, but they will take it down to the wire with Crewe and Morecambe.

The mid table sides Carlisle (12th, 38 points) to Vale (18th, 32 points) will all likely have moments when fans look over their shoulder anxiously, but I don’t see any of them being dragged into the battle.

Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 20 Jan 2018, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018, 23:29 

Same. However, history often sees a team fall through the trapdoor from mid-table with a horrendous run of defeats, so none of the clubs you mentioned can be ruled out in my view.

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018, 02:07 

We'll be absolutely fine. There are too many clubs between us and the bottom two for us to go down. However, the playoffs are a fading dream so we'll have to settle for lower mid table.

Page 3 of 3 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY