Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 3 of 3 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3



Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 18:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Ben2 wrote:
Agree too. Dillon is a good player and maybe some sour grapes from people who say he isn’t (because we wish he’d joined us!)


No one has said he isn’t good. He was awesome for us in a league we pissed over. All I and others have said is he has no football league experience and there is no evidence to suggest he will cope any better than Collins being thrown into a team which has struggled.


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 18:47 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Chris FGR wrote:
Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.


Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 19:07 
Offline

Joined: 09 Aug 2015, 10:09
Posts: 633
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Whenever anyone mentions ‘Vinces millions’ I ALWAYS think of this! Especially with his crowning folly just off the m5...

https://youtu.be/8wNqNO3jqkk


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 19:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
As usual two of the bottom three lose. Whilst those above pick up points to maintain the gap.

Chesterfield the winners this time, beating Luton 2-0. I guess Luton weren’t up for the physical battle and Chesterfield’s new signings were. Spirerites out of the bottom two on 24 points.

Barnet lose away to Crawley 2-0. Rooted on 20 points but with a superior goal difference.

FGR manage one shot on goal at Swindon and deservedly lose 1-0. Back in the relegation zone on 23 points.

Yeovil get a good draw away at Tom Pope, 1-1 having let for 75 mins. 28 points.

Morecambe draw 1-1 at home to Stevenage to move to 29 points. Ellison on the scoresheet once more.

Defeat for Crewe in Cumbria keeps them on 29.

Bottom up.

Barnet, played 27, points 20
FGR, played 27, points 23
Chesterfield, played 28, points 24
Yeovil, played 27, points 28
Crewe, played 27, points 29
Morecambe, played 27, points 29

Barnet close to a write off.

Remains to be seen which of Chesterfield’s and FGR’s windows will yield the biggest upturn.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 20:51 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 18:47
Posts: 134
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:
Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.


Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.


If anyone can sap players of creativity and confidence it's Cooper. I'm still far from confident we'll stay up.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 22:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Back in the zone now KG3. Chesterfield could kick on from here. Bums a'squeaking in the vale.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 20:13 
Offline

Joined: 27 Nov 2009, 23:46
Posts: 542
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
As usual two of the bottom three lose. Whilst those above pick up points to maintain the gap.

Chesterfield the winners this time, beating Luton 2-0. I guess Luton weren’t up for the physical battle and Chesterfield’s new signings were. Spirerites out of the bottom two on 24 points.

Barnet lose away to Crawley 2-0. Rooted on 20 points but with a superior goal difference.

FGR manage one shot on goal at Swindon and deservedly lose 1-0. Back in the relegation zone on 23 points.

Yeovil get a good draw away at Tom Pope, 1-1 having let for 75 mins. 28 points.

Morecambe draw 1-1 at home to Stevenage to move to 29 points. Ellison on the scoresheet once more.

Defeat for Crewe in Cumbria keeps them on 29.

Bottom up.

Barnet, played 27, points 20
FGR, played 27, points 23
Chesterfield, played 28, points 24
Yeovil, played 27, points 28
Crewe, played 27, points 29
Morecambe, played 27, points 29

Barnet close to a write off.

Remains to be seen which of Chesterfield’s and FGR’s windows will yield the biggest upturn.


how long until a phone call is made to Mr Allen?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 20:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Certainly entering Martin James Allen territory for the Bees.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 21:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 18:47
Posts: 134
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Back in the zone now KG3. Chesterfield could kick on from here. Bums a'squeaking in the vale.


I wouldn't be surprised if us and Barnet are six points adrift come the end of the first weekend in February. Hope I'm wrong.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 23:17 
Offline

Joined: 03 May 2017, 18:04
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Wouldn't write anyone off yet. With just 7 games to go last season the bottom 4 looked like this:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

And yet, of course, 7 games later Newport were safe and Hartlepool were relegated. Which makes me realise that, being 11pts clear with 18 games to go, we are far from safe :/ though I don't think anyone hasn't realised that


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 23:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
East End Robin wrote:
Wouldn't write anyone off yet. With just 7 games to go last season the bottom 4 looked like this:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

And yet, of course, 7 games later Newport were safe and Hartlepool were relegated. Which makes me realise that, being 11pts clear with 18 games to go, we are far from safe :/ though I don't think anyone hasn't realised that


Good reminder of how quickly things can change.

Be interesting to look at seven games before that. I.e which way was was the momentum going. Currently it is Grimsby who falling like a stone.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 05:53 
Offline

Joined: 27 Nov 2009, 23:46
Posts: 542
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
East End Robin wrote:
Wouldn't write anyone off yet. With just 7 games to go last season the bottom 4 looked like this:

21. Hartlepool 41pts
22. Cheltenham 39 pts
---
23. Newport 33pts
24. Orient 32pts

And yet, of course, 7 games later Newport were safe and Hartlepool were relegated. Which makes me realise that, being 11pts clear with 18 games to go, we are far from safe :/ though I don't think anyone hasn't realised that


werent Hartlepool something like 15 points adrift at one point the season the pulled off their escape?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 19:02 
Offline

Joined: 27 Nov 2009, 23:46
Posts: 542
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Graham Westley appointed Barnet head coach until end of season


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018, 23:21 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 16508
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Barnet getting cut off.

At one point it was Akinde magic, but Lincoln equalised at the Hive. 1-1 finish and entrenched in last place with 21 points.

FGR twice go behind at home to Cambridge, but the cash splash to find support for Doidge paid dividends with CD himself and new men Grubb (home debut) and Campbell (debut) both scoring to seal a 5-2 win. But for now FGR stay in the bottom two on 26.

One point ahead is Chesterfield in 22nd spot on 27 points. Anything Doidge and do Dennis can match. The dangerman scoring a late winner against Yeovil in Somerset.

Which leave Yeovil in 21st a point ahead on 28. They could be in the relegation zone this time next week as they are in Cup action. Playing Man U shouldn’t be enough to save the drowning Way, but the owner is running the club into the ground and keeping the hapless Way is the cheap option. A real risk the ‘famous non-League side’ will be returning to those ranks.

Defeats for Crewe (2-3, H, Wycombe) and Morecambe (0-1, A, Luton) leave them both on 29 points.

With Dennis looking reinvigorated and happy to stay at Chesterfield after their signings, and with Vince forking out League One money to attract players to the the village during the window the smart betting is on both these sides to survive.

My view is that Yeovil look most likely to join Barnet with low ambition and probably the worst manager in the division, but they will take it down to the wire with Crewe and Morecambe.

The mid table sides Carlisle (12th, 38 points) to Vale (18th, 32 points) will all likely have moments when fans look over their shoulder anxiously, but I don’t see any of them being dragged into the battle.


Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 20 Jan 2018, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018, 23:29 
Offline

Joined: 30 May 2012, 08:18
Posts: 777
Location: Cirencester
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Same. However, history often sees a team fall through the trapdoor from mid-table with a horrendous run of defeats, so none of the clubs you mentioned can be ruled out in my view.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: RCS Relegation Round-up
 Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018, 02:07 
Offline

Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:00
Posts: 604
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
We'll be absolutely fine. There are too many clubs between us and the bottom two for us to go down. However, the playoffs are a fading dream so we'll have to settle for lower mid table.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 3 of 3 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Johnsons Red Army, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: