RCS Relegation Round-up

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Why do we need to be in the list? We know what we're doing. This thread is about what others are doing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Just looked at the bottom of the table, never realised you only had 23 points! At this rate you'll be joining us in the relegation battle.
Yeah, a poor points return for us from the last seven games has seen us stagnate in midtable.

Still 6 points gap after 19 games pro rata is 14 points gap over a season. If relegation is 50 points then such a gap would see us on 64. Solid midtable. But alas not where we want to be.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chesterfield 1-0 up away in the cross-border tans-M1 derby against Evans’ Mansfield.

As it stands they jump FOUR places to 20th, sending Morecambe into the bottom two and FGR one place closer to non-League. More incentive for CTFC today to line up a nail in the coffin of Vince’s league dream.
ctfc-fan
Even better they’re beating an Evans side too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
88th minute equaliser for Evans' thugscum, but Chesterfield revival continues.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Following Chesterfield draw:
Yeovil lose at Wycombe
Ten men Barnet lose at home to Grimsby
Crewe lose at home to Luton
Morecambe and Crawley both get away draws.
FGR hold on for a home draw against injury ravaged opponents in a terrible run of form.

Still looking like Barnet and Morecambe, though just four points separate the teams listed above.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chesterfield safe. Removed from this thread from now on.

Two odds defying wins sees Crawley and Morecambe keeping their noses ahead of the chasing pack. On 24 and 22 points respectively. Crawley not far off safety.

Barnet, at risk of being cut adrift on 17 points. But defeats for FGR, Crewe and Yeovil sees them all on 20 points.

FGR accrue more injuries and another red card, followed by desperation in post match interviews from Cooper. Looks like the KMB boost is wearing off and they are back to struggling, ending the night second bottom.

Barnet, FGR, Crewe and Yeovil in dire straits but I still think Morecambe are on grave danger.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As per above, Morecambe and Crawley went into today’s games in poll position in the dross mini-league.

But two of the worst results of the season for them change that!

Morecambe travelled to Barnet with a chance to open up an 8 point gap. But a hopeless defeat sees the Bees close to within two points (Barnet 20 points, Morecambe 22 points).

Crawley travelled to Crewe, looking to open a seven point gap. They clearly couldn’t cope with the pressure of a relegation six-pointer, losing 3-0 and ending with nine men. This leaves Crewe with 23 points and Crawley with 24.

FGR battle well to keep the score vs a ten man Luton to just 2-0, but with the most goals conceded and worst goal difference in the division keeping the floodgates shut is not enough to stop them going bottom with 20 points.

Yeovil get a draw, 0-0, away at out of form Mansfield, to move to 21 points.

So as it stands, in descending order (after Pope’s and Dennis’ sides are removed from discussions):

Crawley 24 -7
Crewe 23 -11
Morecambe 22 -9
Yeovil 21 -13
Barnet 20 -8
FGR 20 -19
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As per above, Morecambe and Crawley went into today’s games in poll position in the dross mini-league.

Morecambe travelled to Barnet with a chance to open up an 8 point gap. But a hopeless defeat sees the Bees close to within two points (Barnet 20 points, Morecambe 22 points).

Crawley travelled to Crewe, looking to open a seven point gap. They clearly couldn’t cope with the pressure of a relegation six-pointer, losing 3-0 and ending with nine men. This leaves Crewe with 23 points and Crawley with 24.

FGR battle well to keep the score vs a ten man Luton to just 2-0, but with the most goals conceded and worst goal difference in the division keeping the floodgates shut is not enough to stop them going bottom with 20 points.

So as it stands, in descending order (after Pope’s and Dennis’ sides are removed from discussions):

Crawley 24 -7
Crewe 23 -11
Morecambe 22 -9
Yeovil 21 -13
Barnet 20 -8
FGR 20 -19
My heart bleeds for the vegan warriors....!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As per above, Morecambe and Crawley went into today’s games in poll position in the dross mini-league.

Crawley 24 -7
Crewe 23 -11
Morecambe 22 -9
Yeovil 21 -13
Barnet 20 -8
FGR 20 -19
My heart bleeds for the vegan warriors....!
Saturday April 14th. Could be a real party atmosphere if we send them down that afternoon.
Artemis
Then Crewe on the last day.....revenge for that play off final
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Then Crewe on the last day.....revenge for that play off final
Yes!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks like I was wrong to award Chesterfield safety. They have regressed hugely since and are very much amongst the relegation favourites today after losing 5-1 to Stevenage.

Barnet’s defeat to us today doesn’t impact on their league position in that they stay on 20 points, one place ahead of Chesterfield, also on 20 points.

Above them, Crawley move to 27 points after a good win at Accrington (3-2), and an impressive 3-1 win for Yeovil vs Exeter takes them to 24 points. As previously stated, these two teams do seem to pick out the odd good result when needed. Crewe lose 3-0 at home to Swindon to stay on 24 points and Morecambe lose at Mansfield to stay on 22 points.

Below Chesterfield and Barnet, in bottom spot, are FGR, also on 20 points after a dire 0-1 defeat at home to Carlisle.
Robin
I fancy Yeovil based upon what I saw this season however Barnet also coming with a late plummet and you'd imagine no ability to add players in January given their crowds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe for me. Then one of FGR and Barnet to join them.
Robin
Morecambe were ok (if a bit fortunate) on the opening day didn't look like a side to go down but of course very limited resources.
ctfc-fan
Money won't talk for FGR if they keep the inept Cooper as manager. I reckon that might have been his last match...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Morecambe were ok (if a bit fortunate) on the opening day didn't look like a side to go down but of course very limited resources.
Bearing in mind they usually start very well and collapse.
confused.com
simple , you cant buy breeding, you cant buy class, you cant but desire
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. Always just assumed it was a case of mercenaries being less committed. When we went down Gary built a squad based on each player's desire to fight for promotion. FGR just gave out big paychecks to any ex-pro which would would take them.

I actually thought they are spending less because of FFP and that is their problem - they can't throw money at it as their gates are so low.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chesterfield lose at home to Crewe in the second worst result of the day.

Barnet battle but lose 1-0 away at Cambridge.

Hapless Morecambe collapse 1-4 at home to Notts County.

Yeovil open a seven point gap over the bottom two with an away win against the run of play to embarrass Cheltenham and infuriate former manager Johnson after being given a second life by former player Dawson.

Crawley fail to expand their seven point gap, losing at home to Colchester.

FGR get their best result for four games; match abandoned at HT.

Yeovil 27
Crawley 27
Crewe 26
Morecambe 22
Barnet 20
Chesterfield 20 (GD - 20)
FGR 20 (GD - 20)

Bottom four in danger of becoming adrift.
King giraffe iii
Ben2 wrote:FGR are an interesting case and, trying my best to leave aside their shameful treatment of our fans and board, trying to be objective...

They managed repeatedly to NOT be promoted despite spending disproportionately more than everyone else. It was almost harder NOT to be promoted than go up, but Dale stuck with their incompetent management.

Now, again, given their ‘liberal’ interpretation of the Financial Fair play rules, it seems harder to be relegated than stay up. But they seem to be grasping failure from the jaws of success as if their lives depended on it.

Vince clearly has no idea what he’s doing, leaving him open to being played by chancers like cooper who keeps his job despite all common sense suggesting against it. Baker was (perhaps?) guilty in the past of being too nice, maybe it’s a football thing as I guess making yourself fabulously wealthy cannot come on the back of being a business imbecile.

So whilst all common sense says FGR cannot go down due to their bullying use of money to buy success, evidence suggests they could be in trouble.

Perhaps the delay in his ‘eco-park’ has ruined Vince’s narrative and so he needs them non-league again so he can triumphantly raise them in to the league once his crowning-folly is complete.
Oh, you've spotted that DV is being played as well. Cooper is the only winner in the situation at FGR at present.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A ding dong battle in Morecambe.

Trailing 2-0 at HT at home to Yeovil, Morecambe score on 72 and 79 to draw level. Yeovil retake the lead on 84, only for Morecambe to equalise on 85 and then for geriatric ogre Ellison to score on 92 for a 4-3 home win. This shows the frailty of Yeovil if you score against them (rather than getting your goals needlessly ruled out for offside).

The three points for Morecambe takes them to 25 points. A mini gap over the bottom three, Barnet, Chesterfield and FGR who all play tomorrow and go into the games on 20 points. If they stay marooned on 20 points it is starting to look dicey.

Yeovil stay on 27. Crawley go into tomorrow’s fixtures on 27 and Crewe 26, both looking to pull further away from the bottom three.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The picture starts to clear.

Crawley win to move to 30 points, level with their defeated opponents Stevenage. Crawley now as close to 7th as they are bottom. Pretty much safe.

Crewe crushed 3-1 at Cambridge to stay on 26.

Yeovil 27 and Morecambe 25 as you were.

Then the gap.

Chesterfield battle to a draw vs top six Colchester to move out of the bottom two on 21 points.

Heartbreak for Barnet: an injury time winner for Exeter (2-1) leaves Barnet second bottom on 20.

Another Doidge goal (maybe one of his last before a January move?) is not enough to salvage anything at Lincoln for FGR who stay rooted to the bottom on 20 points. Five defeats in a row for FGR now.

If the likes of Morecambe, Crewe and Yeovil keep picking up the odd win, it is looking bleak for the two bottom sides.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe stay on 25 points as their game away at Accrington is abandoned at half time due to rain. Morecambe were losing, so have to see this as a reprieve.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The mill of Christmas and New Year games continues to sort wheat from chaff.

Crewe win to move on to 29 points.

Second defeat in a row for Yeovil to a bottom third side sees them stay on 27 points. Their opponents, Crawley, move on to 33 and safely into mid-table with the likes of Stevenage, Cheltenham and Vale.

After the abandonment Morecambe stay on 25. The gap to the bottom three remains four points.

Chesterfield lose away at Coventry to stay on 21 points, and Barnet narrowly lose 2-1 at home to Swindon to stay on 20 points.

As expected, the red card to Charlie Cooper saw FGR improve second half with forward passes and runs made one he was off the pitch. Combined with Mark Cooper being sent off which would have liberated the players a little. However, FGR couldn’t come back, losing 2-1 at home to Wycombe to stay bottom of the football league on 20 points.

Two of of the current bottom five will drop, and currently I see no way back for the hapless FGR.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reid scores the winner to take FGR out of the relegation zone, and probably to safety.

Barnet don't play, and Chesterfield lose 4-0 at Accrington.

Morecambe win 2-0 to maintain their gap.

As it stands after today

Morecambe 28
Yeovil 27
FGR 23
Chesterfield 21
Barnet 20

Unless Yeovil have another bad run it looks like the bottom two will become adrift as FGR's January spending buys them a lower midtable place.
Chris FGR
Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.
Robin
Ben2 wrote:Bookies got FGR and chesterfield as favourites for the drop

Surely FGR can/have bought their way out of it?
What because they signed one proven striker? I think they'll stay up as lets face it no promoted side goes straight back down however I don't see them reaching mid-table at this stage.

For me its Barnet and Morecambe/Yeovil (both of whom can easily get dragged into it).
Robin
Chris FGR wrote:Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

If we can bring in Dillon Phillips on loan then I'd be even more confident. I know some of you don't rate him that highly but imo he's decent and he'd be a definite upgrade on what we currently have.

To stay up from this point we just need to be bang average, about 1.3 points per game should do it, something we're capable of I reckon.
Dillon is quality Chris, can see him making a fine lower league keeper with more experience.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:Pretty sure there are 2 worse sides then us, our recent signings on paper give us a much better looking defence and a pretty good strike partnership. There will be a couple more additions as well.

Dillon is quality Chris, can see him making a fine lower league keeper with more experience.
Robin is correct Chris FGR. Don't listen to some of the clowns on here who could quite happily argue with their own shadows - Dillon was superb for us and will be a big improvement on what you currently have if you can manage to sign him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Agree too. Dillon is a good player and maybe some sour grapes from people who say he isn’t (because we wish he’d joined us!)
No one has said he isn’t good. He was awesome for us in a league we pissed over. All I and others have said is he has no football league experience and there is no evidence to suggest he will cope any better than Collins being thrown into a team which has struggled.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As usual two of the bottom three lose. Whilst those above pick up points to maintain the gap.

Chesterfield the winners this time, beating Luton 2-0. I guess Luton weren’t up for the physical battle and Chesterfield’s new signings were. Spirerites out of the bottom two on 24 points.

Barnet lose away to Crawley 2-0. Rooted on 20 points but with a superior goal difference.

FGR manage one shot on goal at Swindon and deservedly lose 1-0. Back in the relegation zone on 23 points.

Yeovil get a good draw away at Tom Pope, 1-1 having let for 75 mins. 28 points.

Morecambe draw 1-1 at home to Stevenage to move to 29 points. Ellison on the scoresheet once more.

Defeat for Crewe in Cumbria keeps them on 29.

Bottom up.

Barnet, played 27, points 20
FGR, played 27, points 23
Chesterfield, played 28, points 24
Yeovil, played 27, points 28
Crewe, played 27, points 29
Morecambe, played 27, points 29

Barnet close to a write off.

Remains to be seen which of Chesterfield’s and FGR’s windows will yield the biggest upturn.
King giraffe iii
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Plus a few more weeks yet for Vince’s millions to bring in players from higher ranked but less rich clubs. You’ll be fine.
If anyone can sap players of creativity and confidence it's Cooper. I'm still far from confident we'll stay up.