Some thoughts on the Carlisle defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsCarlisleH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“strides made since a relegation battle looked certain early in the campaign”

Erm? Never been in danger of relegation this season.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:“strides made since a relegation battle looked certain early in the campaign”

Erm? Never been in danger of relegation this season.
there has certainly been an improvement over last season, but there had to be, although we are still at times (like yesterday) under achieving
Robin
You'd have to be blind to not recognise the improvement since last season but I do feel we've underachieved far too often this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:You'd have to be blind to not recognise the improvement since last season but I do feel we've underachieved far too often this season.
Agree, on the whole huge improvement, though currently no improvement in home results which is why we have under achieved. Barnet, Yeovil, Chesterfield: bare minimum games to win for a team with promotion ambitions.
art vandalay
Noticeable improvement on last season and, despite RCS's insistence, we were truly appalling (and certainly of relegation standard) during the early weeks of this season, which wasn't unexpected since we'd had a similarly appalling pre-season. Six or 7 signings in August / September really helped to turn things around and IMO we're moving in the right direction. It's just a shame that, as others have pointed out, the majority of fans only go to home games and there really hasn't been much to shout about at WR this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote:Noticeable improvement on last season and, despite RCS's insistence, we were truly appalling (and certainly of relegation standard) during the early weeks of this season, which wasn't unexpected since we'd had a similarly appalling pre-season. Six or 7 signings in August / September really helped to turn things around and IMO we're moving in the right direction. It's just a shame that, as others have pointed out, the majority of fans only go to home games and there really hasn't been much to shout about at WR this season.
Apologies I wasn’t clear. As I said at the time, during the first seven games the squad wasn’t complete, and I wrote off / ignored those games as Gary hadn’t built the side and it was obvious we would improve once the squad was complete. Once the squad was complete relegation was never an issue to consider.
CTFC03
A couple of months ago I would have said we've not progressed, Johnson tinkering too much with the team and poor decisions were being made week in week out and at one point it was pointed out to me that we had roughly 5 or so wins in half a season which is madness and how Johnson wasn't under any pressure was baffling. That said results have been better in recent weeks overall and there's been a bit more consistency with team selection and we have managed to pull ourselves out of trouble not that we were ever 3 or so points off the bottom 2 but we've done well to make ourselves safe so credit to everybody for that.

If we hadn't of messed around pre season with the Scott Brown saga and actually signed him or signed Flinders or somebody better than Flatt then we may have been looking at a Top half finish, we have been unlucky with injuries but if we'd have signed a bigger squad at the start of the season 3/4 more players good enough for this level things may have been different. I'm pleased for Nigel Atangana, he has been incredible in some of the games I've seen him play in and was madness that he was on the bench so often earlier in the season or taken off when we needed him to stay on the pitch, I get that he had a injury earlier on and was a bit conscious of maybe doing it again but he makes us tick and has been a good signing.

Next season injuries can't be used as an excuse, there has already been talk of finishing in the top 7, well we need cover in every position, they say you need 2 players for every position which is about right. We have a great nucleus here and I wouldn't say the squad needs a lot of work just a few to go and a few to come in, sounds so simple :lol: Look at Carlisle, in terms of technical ability they were poor compared to us but were very good at the back and gave us no room in the midfield either - that is where we need to start from, if we can build a decent backline we will give ourselves a chance.

I would 100% release Wright, Grimes and Cranston (Yes he has improved a lot but has nothing on Ilias and for me has had a hand in too many of the oppositions goals without being directly responsible). I would like us to try and sign Illias, level headed, rarely out of position and keeps us ticking over. I would also go for Morrell but I would not take Moore as he's been a liability in too many games for me. Sellers worthy of keeping for a year but has to improve his end product. It's going to be interesting to see where Eisa goes, the board aren't going to say no to offers for him from Championship clubs so let's hope we get a decent wedge and strengthen all over..
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Very sensible post from CTFC03.