Ratings v Swindon

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Great win! Fine counter-attack for the first, equalised by a goal from a free-kick awarded for a shocking dive. A penalty as bad as Graham's a couple of weeks ago, followed by a late, late winner!

Flinders - 6: very little to do.

Cranston - 7: not a bad game, very involved.
Grimes - 6: solid, unflustered.
Moore - 6: ditto his partner, really. I do hope his nickname in the dressing room is 'Mary' - they're missing a trick, if not.
Winchester - 5: bit shaky at times, I thought. Did okay, I guess.

Sellars - 8: my MotM, as well as the sponsors. Everything good came through him, including the breakaway.
Storer - 7: good game from the skipper. Not afraid to stick his head in where it might get hurt.
Pell - 7: brilliant cross for the goal and broke up play in the middle, well.
Morrell - 7: ran Sellars close for MotM. Quality.

Graham - 5: took his goal well but struggled to win a lot in the air against Swindon's big men.
Eisa - 6: tired towards the end, but a constant thorn in the side of the opposition.

Wright - 4: right place, right time to smash home the loose ball. Awful penalty, however, and had no more joy in the air than the man he replaced.
Shade
Agree with Sellars. Disagree with a bit of the rest.
Wright's penalty was a poor height but it was hit well and was a good save - if the keeper hadn't guessed right we'd be saying it was a good pen.

Eisa didn't get in the game much today, I'd have him about the same as Graham, who also didn't really get into it but finished a great move - the goal monkey is off his back. Can't give anybof the defence any less than a 7, personally. They stood up and conceded one from a looping deflected header despite considerable pressure.
confused.com
didn't think Sellars deserved MOM, he was OK, but tends to seek the middle of the pitch a bit too often for my liking. but played his part in the goal. In saying that hard to pick out a MOM, would get boring giving Morrell it every week
As for 5 for Winchester, how you can mark him as 5 and Cranston as & I don't know. I am of the opinion that Winchester is quickly becoming one of our better right backs.Defends well and gets forward well. A great nod down for the goal, Didn't see who was meant to be marking for their goal, but that was a bit loose.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Re: the pen, poor height equals poor pen. Had the keeper gone the other way for Graham it would have gone in.

No excuse for the striker if a pen is poor enough for a keeper to save.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Re: the pen, poor height equals poor pen. Had the keeper gone the other way for Graham it would have gone in.

No excuse for the striker if a pen is poor enough for a keeper to save.
he didn't have to excell himself to get to it
CT76
There were three for MOTM, Sellers, Morrell & Cranston, in the end it was a great team performance, all deserved a 7, penalty miss or not, he made it up to us all in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
longmover
Danny Wright has said he will let other players take the pens in his post match interview.
Robin
Odd game really at times the atmosphere was electric, thought we were the better team first half but came out half asleep in the second and Swindle got the goal with the run of play. Thought we lost it in midfield second half but showed glimpses of what we are capable of, missed the penalty then got the winner in 92minute to lift the roof, not often CTFC fans pitch invade at home either!

Flinders - couple of good saves but didn't have a great deal to do (6)
Winchester - always has time on the ball, solid defensively and a threat going forward (7)
Grimes - shakey at times but did fairly well overall, or alternatively had the £300k forward in his pocket (6)
Moore - Not at his best today but thought he coped well (6)
Cranston - so far improved from last season, now looks a decent full back at this level, gained composure and confidence (7)
Storer - please keep him off set pieces, thought he bossed midfield in the first half however went missing a bit in the second half (6)
Pell - Same as Storer, missed his driving runs in the second half but loved his celebration in front of the Swindle fans (6)
Morrell - Won the penalty but otherwise one of his quieter games, we need to see if this lad is available for a permanent transfer though he makes us tick (7)
Graham - Thought he did very well today, so much better than Wright with his technical ability and guile (7.5)
Eisa - His pace and movement caused them problems but didn't get many chances (7)
Sellars - He just glides across the pitch, decent touch and control (7.5)

Subs:
Wright - To be honest he was awful when he came on but all is forgiven for the winner (6)
confused.com
fair marks Robin. will be good when graham can last 90
Artemis
I think we deserved the win. Just....
Swindle worked out an effective tactic to hoof the ball in between the defence and Storer and Pell and drag them wide. Or thats how I saw it.

I'm really impressed with 'Billy' Graham. Our play dipped when he went off. Wright, sad to say, looks out of his depth. And in Sellars, Morrell and Eisa we have real quality. Not to mention Kevin Dawson.

But what impressed me the most was the never say die attitude from the whole side. Last season we would have wilted.
Red Duke
Robin wrote: Winchester - always has time on the ball, solid defensively and a threat going forward (7)
Would you say that Winchester has solved the RB problem that we seemed to have at the start of the season or would you prefer him to be in midfield?
theidlerich
Summed up rather well by Robin. Thought Winchester was excellent and would shaded my Mom with Sellars [first half]. My feelings re DW are known; just cannot see why he is still here and not on loan to a NL side where he would be more comfortable and useful!
Enjoyed the game; thought the ref was good [at long last a decent sensible ref - got all the decisions right] and how often do we see a winner for CTFC in extra time - the icing on the cake.

Oh..... and one more thought - why is it that ST's lose out on the 'goody bags' - buy a ticket online and win a cinema ticket - great idea - but far better if all tickets sold inc ST's are in the draw surely......and fairer!!!!
Last edited by theidlerich on 07 Oct 2017, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
confused.com
midfield is strong at minute, I think Carl gives the team more where he is
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:
Robin wrote: Winchester - always has time on the ball, solid defensively and a threat going forward (7)
Would you say that Winchester has solved the RB problem that we seemed to have at the start of the season or would you prefer him to be in midfield?
Certainly put paid to Robin's bizarre insistence that Dawson would be makeshift RB.
vickeryc
Morrell was our best player today followed by Sellars. Cranston also had a good game. One senses that we've really turned the corner, including netting late goals instead of conceding them!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The pace and power of youth is always a threat in football. Makes up for lack of mobility of players like Storer and Wright.

Such a contrast to the likes of Jason Taylor and Matt Richards plodding around.

And having centre backs who can run, rather than the likes of Parslow and Downes is a delight.

Our pace will take us up.
Rulistening
Flinders a 6?? flaming hell that seems harsh the man made a superb save in the second half along with other saves.

Also Eisa did absolutely nothing today i felt. Can't always be a super player of course but he was disappointing today

I think during that game I felt just about every single emotion! was an epic end
vickeryc
Totally agree RCS - it is indeed great to have a much needed injection of pace. We now gave so much more threat in attack and mobility at the back.

Also agree with rulistening regarding Flinders' great save, which prevented us from going behind.
confused.com
not the correct thread, but can't be bothered looking for a suitable one. Just wanted to comment on how well the players are now interacting with the crowd. Always applauding when near the touchline, and spending time with teh kids on the touchline ar the end (especially Grimes), Good to see a togetherness
vickeryc
confused.com wrote:not the correct thread, but can't be bothered looking for a suitable one. Just wanted to comment on how well the players are now interacting with the crowd. Always applauding when near the touchline, and spending time with teh kids on the touchline ar the end (especially Grimes), Good to see a togetherness
Good point. Somewhat different to the Matt Richards and CBB era!
Artemis
Mo may not have shone today, but he was looked after by at least a couple of their players. Which left space for others.
What I like about this team is that we are not one dimensional in attack. Sellars has both pace and fabulous close control, Mo exploits space and has pace. 'Billy' holds the ball up and isnt a bad player. Morrell and Winniesta can switch the attack with a killer pass. And finally, we have players who can put in a decent cross or set piece.
It may have been last minute yesterday, but I thought we deserved it against a team that will surely be somewhere in the top seven.
horlickfanclub
Flinders 7 Hesitant on the first goal but made up for it with a couple of great saves.
Winchester 8
Moore 8
Grimes 7 Better game but still inclined to back off
Cranston 4 Crossing poor.Gave away too many fouls after getting wrong side.
Sellers 6 Good going forward but drifted infield and gave the ball away. Poor tracking back.
Pell 8
Storer 7 mark off for set pieces
Morrell 8
Graham 7 finishes a great move well, occupied two very good centre backs
Eisa 7 Not as much on the ball as usual but never stopped working.

Wright 6 Poor penalty but battered away keeping up the pressure.
Lord Elpuz
Wrong kind of game for Mo who was too lightweight with balls played in high to him down the centre against two physically strong STFC centre backs. He should have been moved to wide right to help the team get in round the back. His pace would have pulled the well drilled opposition out of shape as they would have needed to stick two on him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:Wrong kind of game for Mo who was too lightweight with balls played in high to him down the centre against two physically strong STFC centre backs. He should have been moved to wide right to help the team get in round the back. His pace would have pulled the well drilled opposition out of shape as they would have needed to stick two on him.
Yes, not the first time big brutes have kept him quiet and where taking him out wide would have helped. But Sellars and Morrell do well enough out wide as it is. So if Mo is being nullified by CBs, Pell or Storer need to get up beyond Graham more.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:Wrong kind of game for Mo who was too lightweight with balls played in high to him down the centre against two physically strong STFC centre backs. He should have been moved to wide right to help the team get in round the back. His pace would have pulled the well drilled opposition out of shape as they would have needed to stick two on him.
Yes, not the first time big brutes have kept him quiet and where taking him out wide would have helped. But Sellars and Morrell do well enough out wide as it is. So if Mo is being nullified by CBs, Pell or Storer need to get up beyond Graham more.
Or to make runs through the space that Mo could create by pulling his two muppets all over the pitch
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Or to make runs through the space that Mo could create by pulling his two muppets all over the pitch
Yes. Pell is the man to do it, but might be aware he can’t maraud too far if he needs to get back and cover Stoz’s lack of pace.
Old Coventrian

I don't think Eisa is that fast. He's a bit quicker than the average CB, but no speed merchant.Falls over a bit too easily. However is improving the timing of his runs, and works hard - not afraid to run the channels or go wide and can put in a decent cross when he does. Not afraid to try a shot, which is always a plus.
Si Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Flinders 7 Hesitant on the first goal but made up for it with a couple of great saves.
Winchester 8
Moore 8
Sellers 6 Good going forward but drifted infield and gave the ball away. Poor tracking back.
Pell 8
Morrell 8

By some distance the most laughable rating I have ever seen on here. In the first half he was fantastic against their right winger, and he and Morrell have really started linking up brilliantly.

I actually agree with most of your other ratings (I'd have probably given Eisa a 6 and Sellers an 8).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Flinders 7 Hesitant on the first goal but made up for it with a couple of great saves.
Winchester 8
Moore 8
Pell 8
Morrell 8

By some distance the most laughable rating I have ever seen on here. In the first half he was fantastic against their right winger, and he and Morrell have really started linking up brilliantly.

I actually agree with most of your other ratings (I'd have probably given Eisa a 6 and Sellers an 8).
Safe to ignore anything Horlick says about Cranston.
CT76
Cranston had a great game, especially in the first half like you say. For me he was in the top 3 for MOTM, made some important tackles. His only downfall was that he kept throwing to heads which isn’t always good when theres a 6’4 bloke behind you, lost out on a few throw ins that way, was a number of occasions where we would’ve kept the ball had he thrown to feet.

SydneyDanno
CT76 wrote:Cranston had a great game, especially in the first half like you say. For me he was in the top 3 for MOTM, made some important tackles. His only downfall was that he kept throwing to heads which isn’t always good when theres a 6’4 bloke behind you, lost out on a few throw ins that way, was a number of occasions where we would’ve kept the ball had he thrown to feet.

A great game? Even though he gave away at least a half dozen free kicks in the 2nd half which allowed Taylor to whip them and cause chaos in our box. Taking into account he had a good first half, id say he had a steady game.
Last edited by SydneyDanno on 09 Oct 2017, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
I suppose you missed the two crosses wellied out in the first twenty minutes. Can the Cranston apologists explain how he gives so many free kicks away ?
CT76
Im not here to argue, just voice my opinion. For me he played well, the whole team played well against a good side. He had a lot to do, no one has the perfect game, particularly at this level.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:I suppose you missed the two crosses wellied out in the first twenty minutes. Can the Cranston apologists explain how he gives so many free kicks away ?
If a couple of bad crosses/passes warrants a 4, then none of our players will get more than 3 or 4 each week. Yet Storer gets a 7 despite set pieces!

No apologising for Cranston, just a reminder that your need to judge every player fairly and with balance.
Shade
Cranston was no better or worse than most of the team on Saturday. He had a decent first half, and a bang average second due to free kicks given.

As for the Wright knockers, he came on and almost his first touch was the penalty, he probably shouldn't have been allowed to take it that soon. He said afterwards that he rushed it and it felt like it to me at the time. For the next 5 or 10 minutes he was throwing himself at everything trying to make up for it and gave away a few free kicks - he needed to calm down. But, he was in the right place at the right time with 10 seconds to go and has scored 2 League goals in the last 2 home League games, which is more than Eisa and the same as Graham. What would you rather have, someone who does a lot and doesn't score or assist, or someone perceived to not do much right but scores some goals?