Who should be on pens?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Danny Wright says it's time to let someone else take them: http://bit.ly/PenaltyDuty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Graham. He missed one when desperate to score but now he is getting into a groove he should be the main penalty taker.
Johnsons Red Army
Whoever is the best in training should take the pens. Surely this is something that they do in training so there should be some sort of pecking order based on that.

If Wright is the best in training, let him keep the job. If it's someone else then let them instead.
Shade
Morrell, based on his free kick accuracy. In the mould of McCann and Pack. Although both McCann and Pack both had big play-off penalties saved, now I think about it.
CT76
Difficult one that but now I’ve had time to think about it i think it should be me that takes the penalties, glad we cleared that one up. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theidlerich
Morrell; Pell [not so sure], but not DW or Graham! Surely as JRA has pointed out, the coaching staff know who has a good pacey strike, accurate in targeting specific goal mouth areas and not giving the game away by glancing at the potential flight path!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Holman.
Sprout Picker
Dawson or Winchester.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Everyone take 20 pens. Most scored takes the honour. If 2 or more score the same amount, keep taking until we have a winner.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Everyone take 20 pens. Most scored takes the honour. If 2 or more score the same amount, keep taking until we have a winner.
And to add pressure, each missed pen is two days wages fine.
shevates
Dawson would be my first choice followed by Eisa
darreno
Grant McCann

Simply the best :D
triggo
surely has to be Harry Pell.
..thunderbolt of a shot .
Jeff Lynne
triggo wrote:surely has to be Harry Pell.
..thunderbolt of a shot .
True, but a lot leave the stadium on their way into orbit...
Shade
Yeah, Pell's are too hit and hope. He admitted it himself last year when he scored 4 free kicks in 4 games that he just smashes them and hopes they go in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Yeah, Pell's are too hit and hope. He admitted it himself last year when he scored 4 free kicks in 4 games that he just smashes them and hopes they go in.
Indeed. Not what we need for pens.

Just need someone who can consistently put it in the corner. Even if the keeper guesses right, getting it in the corner will beat the keeper. And then if a keeper does know this and heads over to that corner early, then put it the other way.

Not hard. All this blasting, stuttering, trying to trick the keeper make it far to complicated and really annoys me. Low or high in right by the post and you will score every time.
Red Duke
If I were a penalty taker, I would look to see which is the dominant side for the keeper. If he is right sided, then I would put it to his top left or bottom left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:If I were a penalty taker, I would look to see which is the dominant side for the keeper. If he is right sided, then I would put it to his top left or bottom left.
Over thinking it.

Slot in the same corner every time and it is second nature.
Artemis
Red Duke wrote:If I were a penalty taker, I would look to see which is the dominant side for the keeper. If he is right sided, then I would put it to his top left or bottom left.
And how would you know?

I must to admit to liking Danny Wright's approach. Stutter and wait for the keeper to make a move, then put it the other side. As we saw, not foolproof, but to be fair, his record is not horrendous and even Alan Shearer missed one.

That said, I'd give the job to Dawson, Morrell or Winchester. Or Mo - his placement is really quite something
Shade
Apparently they had a competition at the training ground to see who would take the next one and Pell won it, so probably will.
Johnsons Red Army
Artemis wrote:
I must to admit to liking Danny Wright's approach. Stutter and wait for the keeper to make a move, then put it the other side.
I'm with RCS on this one. I really dislike that approach. Just leads to a soft and/or c!#p penalty if the goalie doesn't flinch. The weekend wasn't the first time this method has failed.

Just confidently aim for one of the corners and hope for the best.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Artemis wrote:
I must to admit to liking Danny Wright's approach. Stutter and wait for the keeper to make a move, then put it the other side.
I'm with RCS on this one. I really dislike that approach. Just leads to a soft and/or c!#p penalty if the goalie doesn't flinch. The weekend wasn't the first time this method has failed.

Just confidently aim for one of the corners and hope for the best.
Players always look like a complete muppet if the keeper doesn't move and they just softly scoop it into his arms.

Like you say, forget about the keeper, and drive it to the bottom corner in off the post and you score every time (providing the lino prevents the keeper charging out to close down the shot).
asl
Shearer went for the top corner pretty much every time, I think. Doesn't matter whether the keeper reads the direction, that's nigh on unstoppable.

Didn't Matt le Tissier have a 100% success rate over his career? Can't recall his preferred placement tactics, though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Shearer went for the top corner pretty much every time, I think. Doesn't matter whether the keeper reads the direction, that's nigh on unstoppable.

Didn't Matt le Tissier have a 100% success rate over his career? Can't recall his preferred placement tactics, though.
He looked one way with one eye and his nose, and the other way with his other eye and teeth. Keepers never had a clue.

Plus of course Rickie Lambert who scored 32 pens in a row or something.

Awful miss from Le Tiss here as he takes on Lambert in a penalty shoot-out head to head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efaLlf-T3kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
Le Tisser only missed (had saved) one of his pens, Mark Crossley Nottingham Forest
longmover
I'd like us to be in a scenario where we have three players (to choose from) who are confident to take pens and we can interchange.
Red Duke
Artemis wrote:
And how would you know?

I must to admit to liking Danny Wright's approach. Stutter and wait for the keeper to make a move, then put it the other side. As we saw, not foolproof, but to be fair, his record is not horrendous and even Alan Shearer missed one.

That said, I'd give the job to Dawson, Morrell or Winchester. Or Mo - his placement is really quite something
You could work it out by studying videos of his previous games by looking which foot he uses to take goal kicks,
Shade
Red Duke wrote:
Artemis wrote:
And how would you know?

You could work it out by studying videos of his previous games by looking which foot he uses to take goal kicks,
Wouldn't have worked last week then - the keeper was making his debut!
everyman
Gary informed the Trust meeting that he has tested the players and Harry Pell is to be our penalty taker.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:
As he was on the sub's bench, he could have easily found out by watching him take goal kicks in 60 mins before he came onto the pitch.
Si Robin
Shade wrote:
Red Duke wrote:
Artemis wrote: And how would you know?

It was his debut for Swindon, he's played a number of games for Coventry before.