Playing surface.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Alf
I think the much better playing surface is helping us this season. Players now have the confidence to run with the ball knowing that it will still be there when they pass it.
Last season it slowed our play down having to check where the ball was all the time. Good to see prospect before profit from the Board.
vickeryc
Agree 100%.
Nesty
and we have players who like to run with the ball, get it down and pick out a pass
theidlerich
I must confess I never thought the pitch would recover so quickly and so well for this season. Full marks to the groundsman and his team who have done an excellent job. Exceptionally well done to all concerned.
horlickfanclub
Agreed.It is looking good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree totally and long overdue. Why do you think performances and attendances declined so much after seven years of the Board allowing pitch degradation, which culminated in relegation to non-league, which quite frankly is where our disgusting pitch belonged to be.

We still have to see how the pitch holds up over winter, however, with the number of games now matching the amount of spending on the pitch (as opposed to vastly more games than groundshare income could maintain) it should not be decimated like it has the last seven winters.

It was a shame the pitch scuppered our top three hopes in 2011, but now let’s hope the reviving pitch helps Gary’s team go from strength to strength.
Alf
Yes we have some decent ball playing players but they wouldn't have done any better on last year's pitch. You can't run with a ball on a ploughed field. It was one touch and launch it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Yes we have some decent ball playing players but they wouldn't have done any better on last year's pitch. You can't run with a ball on a ploughed field. It was one touch and launch it.
Indeed. Ball players would have been worse last year than the team we had. It was horses for courses stuff, and our course required plough horses. At least now we can actually see some dribbling and passing, and a move towards justifying the ticket prices.

Still disappointed season ticket holders haven’t been given compensation for the last few years of the pitch ruining the game.
solihullkev
Good to date ; but I don't recall any problem this time last year. Let's reserve judgement and see how December, January, February and March bear up.
everyman
G G T T H wrote:
solihullkev wrote:Good to date ; but I don't recall any problem this time last year. Let's reserve judgement and see how December, January, February and March bear up.
First game of the season last year the turf was letting go already, one springs to mind (Cranston I think) went to hit the ball and his standing leg took a divot out like one of my 7 irons, and it did cut up in lots of places, a lot of it down to degradation over the years from the rent boys being there, and also to the roots not being able to penetrate through the clay beneath the surface, both problems have now been rectified hence the better surface
And of course it`s very GREEN Gordon ?
theidlerich
..the nesters 'putting' up some decent comments!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:..the nesters 'putting' up some decent comments!
Par for the course for this forum.

Still, now we all know the links between the groundshare and the pitch getting rough. Gloucester have gone now so we can move on as a club without this wedge between the Board and fans.

Amen.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Still, now we all know the links between the groundshare and the pitch getting rough. Gloucester have gone now so we can move on as a club without this wedge between the Board and fans.

Amen.
Sand-wedge ? :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Amen.
Sand-wedge ? :D
You got it down to a tee.

Anyway, pitch is fine now, Gary has ironed out the team issues so we can drive on now and putt in some good performances. A fairway to go in the season but looking like a play off finish is on the cards.
asl
Mr Burns: you fool! Use an open-faced club! A sand-wedge!

Homer J Simpson: mmmmm...open-faced club sandwich......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Mr Burns: you fool! Use an open-faced club! A sand-wedge!

Homer J Simpson: mmmmm...open-faced club sandwich......