Second coach now on sale for Vale away

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Always good to see coaches filling up.

Get your spot on the second coach.

Details on the official club website here: https://www.ctfc.com/news/2017/october/ ... port-vale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
Will be driving up with another fellow fan (technically I'll be the passenger!)

Hoping for a big away crowd and a good atmosphere as a result.
Jerry St Clair
Be careful everyone. Burslem is a proper dump and the locals tend to be less than welcoming in my past experience.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Be careful everyone. Burslem is a proper dump and the locals tend to be less than welcoming in my past experience.
A bag of Burberry caps to bribe them off might be a good plan. Like taking a bag of Marlborough or US Dollars when travelling through the old USSR.
Robin
Sadly can't see a big following a shame really as it's one of our closer and easier games to get too. Agree though Burslem is horrible place but not sure why that matters too much when going to watch a game of football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Sadly can't see a big following a shame really as it's one of our closer and easier games to get too. Agree though Burslem is horrible place but not sure why that matters too much when going to watch a game of football.
Depends on what you like I guess. A lot of away games I make a day of it. Even managed it in Hartlepool once getting lunch by the marina and spending a few hours in the Royal Navy Museum.

Barrow we stayed two nights, another museum, plus Park Run and a Safari Park.

Chester is a good overnight. York we did a day, shops and lunch before hand, and booked a nice place for dinner later. Rotherham went for a canal walk and lunch, etc. Once even caught an evening fireworks display at Southend.

It is generally only close games (< 1 hr), or games where I get a lift from someone else that I only go and watch football and nothing else.

This is why I pay so much attention to fixtures as some of my away trips are season dependent. Much prefer a seaside place like Morecambe in Summer or Spring, and an historic gem like Lincoln in winter.
Robin
I agree some away trips are good for a night out (Notts for example), or a lovely place to visit with the family (York/Brighton/Blackpool) however if you don't go to an away game purely because the area around the ground isn't nice then I'd argue football isn't really a priority for you.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: Agree though Burslem is horrible place but not sure why that matters too much when going to watch a game of football.
Who’s the arbiter of what makes for an enjoyable away trip?

Personally I like to arrive by train, explore the town, find a friendly real ale pub, have a nice lunch then stand on a covered terrace. Other people have different criteria, which is fine of course.

I rather resent the accusation that football can’t be a priority for me just because you don’t agree with me.