Round Robins ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
The round pegs in square holes debate seems to have subsided now that the team has settled,but it`s interesting to see how adaptable the players are now and capable of interchanging positions.Winchester for instance has the most assists in the league-from right back ?We are becoming hard to play against because of that flexibility and on tues.Three c.b.`s scored against Bournemouth res.Maybe G.J.Knew what he was doing after all ?
Would be good to see the Total Football approach( Pioneered by the Dutch ) succeed once again. ;)
Shade
http://www.espnfc.com/english-league-tw ... cs/assists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ stats there, for stattos and non-stattos alike. Nice to see we have a player near the top of each the top scorers and assister tables so far, whilst also nice that we're in the bottom third when it comes to dirty teams (17/24, 24 being the cleanest team). Could also possibly equal the highest winning streak so far this season on Saturday, of 4 games (Wycombe).

As for the rest, yes - now there is confidence from a few wins and an unbeaten streak, everyone seems to be more confident all round, from doing simple things better to filling in where they're needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Be great to get promoted and win the fair play. Show thugscum like Mansfield and Crawley how the game should be played.
horlickfanclub
Round pegs are happiest when we don't play wingbacks. Also things are much more balanced since at last we have a player happy on the left,Morrell .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Round pegs are happiest when we don't play wingbacks. Also things are much more balanced since at last we have a player happy on the left,Morrell .
Good point
Artemis
Natural wingbacks wouldn't be though....fortunately we don't have any of those.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Natural wingbacks wouldn't be though....fortunately we don't have any of those.
I got the impression many thought JC was more suited to the WB role than LB?

Either way, like you say, I am glad Gary has realised it doesn't work.
Artemis
It hasn't worked for us this season, but it has in the past. We don't have the players to make it work at the moment.
I noted Gary's comment about full backs generally not being marked, which with the attacking ones we have, and Pell and Storer dropping back to cover, is a bonus and I think one of the reasons we're looking an attacking threat at the moment.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:Natural wingbacks wouldn't be though....fortunately we don't have any of those.
I got the impression many thought JC was more suited to the WB role than LB?
Maybe having Grimes alongside him is helping him, like Sido used to benefit greatly from having Bennett guiding him through games.