Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here throughout the afternoon http://bit.ly/PortValeAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benctfc
1-0 down same old away issues at the moment still plenty of time left though cmon lads!
Alf
Poor first half for us. Looked like we thought all we had to do was turn up and the points were ours. Hopefully had a kick up the arse at half time!
Rulistening
2-0 down. Disappointing loss currently on the cards. Still time but I don't think we will be scoring 3 late goals unfortunately!
Alf
We look like we did a month ago. Poor service from the wings and a bit flimsy in front of goal. Nothing like the recent encouraging performances. They don't look a bottom of the league team on this performance.
confused.com
Let's face it PV won't be near the bottom end of season. We will lose some, just cut out the endless draws. And a nail in FGR coffin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Let's face it PV won't be near the bottom end of season. We will lose some, just cut out the endless draws. And a nail in FGR coffin
Exactly, clear Port Vale will be mid table at least. Shame we played them after their manager change and revival, but don’t panic and focus on winning home games against everyone and beating worse teams than Vale away.
Benctfc
Hopefully it was just an off day. It is just so frustrating how we have a tendancy of not turning up away from home. Is it a mentality problem seems to have gone on for ages now when in the football league.
Jon Palmer
Video interviews with Gary Johnson and Kevin Dawson can be seen here: http://bit.ly/PortValeAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
Just shows how difficult it is being a manager. Gary presumably thought he had a winning team on his hands after last week and picked the same X1. Port Vale were well organised and closed us down making life difficult. With the benefit of hindsight possibly Dawson could have come on earlier as he is currently our sharpest player in the box.
everyman
Our inexperienced team will inconsistent this season,they wont be able to manage the pressure in certain games.But i think they will give us a better season than i expected.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:Our inexperienced team will inconsistent this season,they wont be able to manage the pressure in certain games.But i think they will give us a better season than i expected.
Promotion is expected and they will deliver with aplomb.
CTFC03
Dawson needs to start over Sellers, it's his experience that counts, for me he's one that must start, he's quality and has scored five goals already!
little mo
Thought there were two main reasons we lost yesterday. The first was they closed us down all afternoon and did not allow us to get a passing game going, but we did keep trying to. But the second and biggest reason was Tom Pope. He completely dominated Moore and Grimes in the air and was too strong for them on the ground. I like them both a lot but yesterday they could'nt cope with him at all.
I said to my mate at half time, we need to get Boyle on or we will concede more. Moore and Grimes really good players when the ball is on the deck, but yesterday was a big wake up call for them.
horlickfanclub
Grimes is a great trier but will be found out every time we come up against a quality player like Pope.Thankfully not every club has one or a winger to skin Cranston so until we shake up the back four we look destined for mid table.
Johnsons Red Army
horlickfanclub wrote: so until we shake up the back four we look destined for mid table.
A bit negative and overly harsh don't you think?

The weekend was the first time we've let in more than one goal in a match since the end of August (26/08/17 vs. Exeter. I'm not counting the mickey mouse cup game vs FGR).

Defence has been solid recently.
horlickfanclub
It is good to be ahead of the other teams tactics and improve. Not be complacent.
Johnsons Red Army
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
horlickfanclub
One wheel off, we cannot lose another.
Shade
If we have 1 defeat in 5/6 games through the season we will be fine. I had a feeling on the day that Vale would come good against us. Luckily we have our inevitable 3 points against Our Bitches coming up straight after this defeat to get the bitter taste out of our mouths.
CTFC03
Mansfield and Swindon have good front lines and Grimes (and the rest) have stood up to the test so far apart from Saturday, nothing to worry about atm.