Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 



Author Message
 Post subject: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:16 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 15792
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Two defeats in a row is poor. Essential we return to winning ways on Saturday.


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:31 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 10963
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Mad two minutes cost us dearly today, by the end we were unlucky not to get something and were on top all second half but some of the defending in the first half was terrible from the two centre halves and Winchester.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:39 
Offline

Joined: 29 Dec 2011, 17:54
Posts: 970
Location: Whaddon road
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:
Mad two minutes cost us dearly today, by the end we were unlucky not to get something and were on top all second half but some of the defending in the first half was terrible from the two centre halves and Winchester.

It wasn't Winchester who lost his man twice for the goals Robin...


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 13:26
Posts: 11520
Location: The Death Star.
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Poor defending for all of their goals.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:51 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 10963
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
No it wasn't Ben but Winchester had a shocker defensively first half as did Grimes and Moore - the latter was woeful for a period.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:54 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 15792
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Benctfc wrote:
Robin wrote:
Mad two minutes cost us dearly today, by the end we were unlucky not to get something and were on top all second half but some of the defending in the first half was terrible from the two centre halves and Winchester.

It wasn't Winchester who lost his man twice for the goals Robin...


Team effort. You have to look at what allowed the ball to come into the box in the first place, and what allowed the ball to get into a position where it could go into the box from.

Yes a defender or keeper making a mistake is crucial and fatal, however, if the players outside the box do their job then it reduces the risk of crucial mistakes occurring.

If Cranston loses his man two times out of ten. Then the team needs to make sure far fewer than ten balls go into the box.

Ideally we would restrict the opponents to a maximum of 5 crosses. And remember Ward used to tell players he wanted 20 crosses a game as that would win matches, and it did because with that many balls going in, there will be enough mistakes from defenders to score a couple every game.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:56 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 10963
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
The ball played pin ball in the box for the second and I think Grimes seem to dwell on it rather than hoof it away, that's just criminal and not the first time he's done that either.*

* It may have been Moore this time but I thought it was Grimes.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:58 
Offline

Joined: 29 Dec 2011, 17:54
Posts: 970
Location: Whaddon road
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Benctfc wrote:
Robin wrote:
Mad two minutes cost us dearly today, by the end we were unlucky not to get something and were on top all second half but some of the defending in the first half was terrible from the two centre halves and Winchester.

It wasn't Winchester who lost his man twice for the goals Robin...


Team effort. You have to look at what allowed the ball to come into the box in the first place, and what allowed the ball to get into a position where it could go into the box from.

Yes a defender or keeper making a mistake is crucial and fatal, however, if the players outside the box do their job then it reduces the risk of crucial mistakes occurring.

If Cranston loses his man two times out of ten. Then the team needs to make sure far fewer than ten balls go into the box.

Ideally we would restrict the opponents to a maximum of 5 crosses. And remember Ward used to tell players he wanted 20 crosses a game as that would win matches, and it did because with that many balls going in, there will be enough mistakes from defenders to score a couple every game.

Or just have a defender who is competent and can defend how often do you see Winchester make an error leading to a goal or lose his man barely ever. Agree about what you say about getting more crosses we don't get enough in as you say at this level the majority of goal are from a cross or the follow up of a cross.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 08:31 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 781
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Agree with the number of crosses; however that assumes you have some decent forwards able to make use of them. With DW in the side you have one less! Eisa put in one excellent cross during the second half; not anticipated quickly enough by our "forward line"; in fact DW hardly moved.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 09:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:20
Posts: 893
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
theidlerich wrote:
Agree with the number of crosses; however that assumes you have some decent forwards able to make use of them. With DW in the side you have one less! Eisa put in one excellent cross during the second half; not anticipated quickly enough by our "forward line"; in fact DW hardly moved.

Don't miss a chance to have a swipe at Danny Wright! Guess he was at fault for the three goals we conceded as well?! :lol:


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 09:37 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 781
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
He didn't do too much to stop them....;)
.
.
.
.
. I do apologise for going on rather re DW, but when I saw him in action for the first time in a friendly pre-season thought at the time he flattered to deceive. He was ok in the conference, but is NOT up to lg2. Therefore I have at times questioned GJ's and his scout staff ability to see quality.
He niggles and 'fouls' too often because he is short on pace and ability to control the ball.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 10:28 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2210
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Panto season at left back did not help. HE'S BEHIND YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 11:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 4658
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
why is it when we win it is OK to play Winchester at RB ? yet when we lose its all his fault ? fact still remains we have only ONE specialist full back on our books


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 11:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 10963
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
theidlerich wrote:
He didn't do too much to stop them....;)
.
.
.
.
. I do apologise for going on rather re DW, but when I saw him in action for the first time in a friendly pre-season thought at the time he flattered to deceive. He was ok in the conference, but is NOT up to lg2. Therefore I have at times questioned GJ's and his scout staff ability to see quality.
He niggles and 'fouls' too often because he is short on pace and ability to control the ball.


I like Wright as a squad player at this level but last night was evidence he should not be starting games, he just cannot dominate centre halves and lacks the guile to create chances for Eisa.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 11:44 
Offline

Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 12:06
Posts: 26
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:
theidlerich wrote:
He didn't do too much to stop them....;)
.
.
.
.
. I do apologise for going on rather re DW, but when I saw him in action for the first time in a friendly pre-season thought at the time he flattered to deceive. He was ok in the conference, but is NOT up to lg2. Therefore I have at times questioned GJ's and his scout staff ability to see quality.
He niggles and 'fouls' too often because he is short on pace and ability to control the ball.


I like Wright as a squad player at this level but last night was evidence he should not be starting games, he just cannot dominate centre halves and lacks the guile to create chances for Eisa.



Id have liked to have seen Graham come on for DW at half time. it wasnt Wrighty's night and i struggled to see how we was going to get back into the game.
HUGE game saturday! We must respond.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 13:19 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 8637
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
The entire defence were shite last night. Winchester had a terrible first half, Cranston had a terrible match and should have gone off 10 minutes earlier when he started limping, Grimes looked like he did against Exeter (clueless) and Moore looked lost. Atangana coming on and suring up the midfield helped and he was about 3 inches to the left from getting the equaliser right at the end.

You could tell it was going to be one of those nights in the first 2 minutes, the general feel around the ground was that of we're not expecting much, and I just don't understand why. We were world beaters 2 weeks ago... Every single player had a poor game and just as Pell was dragging us back into it, had equalised and we were starting to take control, he went crashing down and wasn't the same for the rest of the half, which included two exceptionally weak goals in a couple of minutes - it was like the start of the season all over again.

Have to say though, their little right winger Dembele was good and had Cranston worked out from the first minute.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 13:37 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 781
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
So much for the ‘we need to get out of the starting blocks faster’ – players comments from previous game! Grimsby shattered that illusion rather too quickly; quick incisive passing and in Dembele [No27] had the quickest and most skilful player on the pitch. Horribly soft goal for the second; third should have been cut out, we seemed rooted to the spot, but a good well placed shot. Pells riposte well taken, good cross fron Eisa. Sellers, also quick and skilful, but his passing often wasteful. Grimsby depravedly took the first half. Second half almost all CTFC pressure, but little to show for it. Strange substitutions, and again , too little too late. Atanga bemuses me; gangly, awkward but seemingly has control; but his passes seem to be one of three methods – 1 wasted to opposition or into a non-existent space; 2 hoofed aimlessly and 3 visionary to an on-running player. The BBC stats show the story; a decent number but poor on hitting the target. DW brings little to the plate [sorry Sprout picker…]; Graham on the bench –why? We are too light weight with Sellers, Hinds, Morell and Eisa. Heaven help us Saturday if the promised gales sweep in :)!
Positive though –a decent fight second half, but we need a better C/F. Thought Morrell, Sellers, Winchester had a decent game. Pell driving through ferociously first half; he was having a real go at Sellers; anyone know why?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 14:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 8637
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Because Sellars kept switching off. Match fitness/sharpness may be an issue if he hasn't played this number of first team games in a row before.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 15:01 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 781
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Ah! Correct, not to put too fine a point on it. Neither did he link up with Cranston that well either. Still hopefully that will come with game time. Thanks.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 17:17 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 19:55
Posts: 570
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Grimsby looked fitter, stronger, quicker, wiser, more alert and wanted to win. We looked like we'd just come back from two weeks in Ibiza.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 17:41 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2210
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I agree with the above three posters. Sums it all up. Danny Wright had a "where are you ?" shout at Sellars after he failed to support an attack. Wright might have his limitations but he is an old head who knows whats needed to win-graft.
Second half mention for Dawson who got stuck in.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 18:06 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 23:57
Posts: 1975
Location: Heart of the Forest, Glos
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
longmover wrote:
Grimsby looked fitter, stronger, quicker, wiser, more alert and wanted to win. We looked like we'd just come back from two weeks in Ibiza.


What, Skint? :lol:


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 18:36 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 19:55
Posts: 570
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Also what was that utter mess of a free kick we wasted at the death just outside of the area, why try and curl it in the top corner/ just smash it, make the keeper / defense make a save and have to push the ball back out into the area. Who's making these decisions?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Must stop the rot.
 Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 18:55 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 15792
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Panic decision.

Also, if Sellars was receiving stick it suggests he was not supporting JC enough against (yet another) skillful Dembele (surely needs a stint at Fulham). JC at LM with DOS at LB may have been more effective.

But hey, we had key players out. Played poorly. But still only lost by one goal to a decent side who played a blinder.

Not all bad. Play off runs are never straightforward.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eastaway, Google Adsense [Bot], longmover and 21 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: