Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/LincolnCHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anything less than victory is a failure. Defeat will be unacceptable.
Artemis
Wright and Graham.....????? Personally an opportunity to play Dawson and Sellers together.

This'll be interesting.....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Wright and Graham.....????? Personally an opportunity to play Dawson and Sellers together.

This'll be interesting.....
Subs to play a key role.

Two experienced strikers to give grief to the youngsters in Lincoln's defence. Could be a good move.
confused.com
Bit sceptical myself. With the wind this strong is it a day for ariel football? But what do I know
darreno
I'd take a bore draw today. Lincoln are decent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not aerial hopefully. Wing play, fast midfield and balls to feet. Graham's movement and Wright's elbows hopefully too strong for Dickie and Raggett.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ball to Wright's feet, uses his elbow to turn one of the young defenders and slots it home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Raggett lucky to stay on and was still throwing a strip at the Ref after the final whistle. Looked close to tears at one point. Graham did a job on him showed him there is a lot to learn. Wright bullied Dickie all game too. Both of BG and aDW played the conditions perfectly.
Nesty
great result - back on track
Oldun
A great performance, grit, determination, skill, pace. Not a weak link in the side. Guess Gary was very limited with his choices today. Was Nige there? Is Kyle still injured? Those two plus Harry missing left him a bit thin in midfield but they all play out of their skins.
Jordan had a stormer as did Scotty. Having singled out those two any one of about 9 of them could have got MoM. Absolutely brilliant afternoon! Well done boys!
Artemis
Not just a great result, a really competitive, feisty, hard fought game. Ref was moderate at best....but seemed to get the main decisions correct.
We could have been out of sight by half time, and with the wind against us I was concerned for the second half.

Those two second half saves by Flinders were classy. Looked and I suspect actually were top drawer.
Although Winniesta was my man of the match.
Rulistening
Flinders has been an excellent addition to the squad. And to think he was a free agent!! Still feel slightly bad for Flatt but terminate the loan on January and let the guy get some gametime elsewhere.

As for todays game- not a pretty ending by any means par a few counter attacks but its the result that counts! Very physical defence that lincoln had and we dealt with it well (Apart from the obvious fouls being ignored.. such as Dickie and Raggett trying to undress danny wright and take his shirt off most of the game). Pleasantly surprised Graham and Wright worked as a front two! gives us another option depending on the team we play
confused.com
nice to get the points on the board. Is DW under orders not to shoot too often ? looked like he had a good few chances to have a go, but didn't
Johnsons Red Army
Thought Cranston put in a superb performance today after perhaps a questionable one on Tuesday. Well done Cranners!
Johnsons Red Army
Rulistening wrote:Flinders has been an excellent addition to the squad. And to think he was a free agent!! Still feel slightly bad for Flatt but terminate the loan on January and let the guy get some gametime elsewhere.
Have to agree with this. I thought it was wrong to replace Flatty when it happened, but in hindsight it has turned out to be the right choice. Flinders has been solid.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horlickfanclub quiet tonight.
Robin
Thought it was a well earned well against a Lincoln side who tried every trick in the book. Hard to pick man of the match but Graham, Morrell, Cranston, Boyle were all in contention, Flinders didn't have that much too do but pulled off an absolutely superb save in the second half - agree with those who say he's been a good addition. I thought Eisa was also back to his best, Wright tried hard, got the goal but still not sure he's got the quality we need.
longmover
searching for highlights and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzo0Uanc3A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
My fave thing about that game is Steve Cotterill's comment at the end - "We weren't going to win the FA Cup anyway" :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not often you see the same guy in the role of chairman and manager. What league were Lincoln in then? A very young John Finnigan celebrating in front of the away fans.

Don't remember that cup tie at all so thanks for sharing!
Si Robin
They were bottom of Division 2 (now League 1) whilst we were top of the Conference. We actually went into the game as slight favourites.

Funnily enough, 4 years later, we were bottom of Division 2 and travelled to top of the Conference Yeovil (then managed by Gary Johnson) and won 2-0.

The outcomes at the end of the season were the same as well - both home teams promoted as champions and both away teams relegated.
horlickfanclub
Excellent performance by all players in very difficult conditions. Flinders was top class . Graham and Wright occupied and bettered Lincolns defenders and showed them they have much too learn It was a good move to put them up front together and Eisa looked dangerous on the left. Grimes had their number 9 in his pocket and the back four defended heroically against the gale. It was good to see Boyle getting stuck in and Cranston and Moore doggedly kept the Lincoln wide players uner control. Midfield worked hard all game.It was a good team performance.
Good selection and good move by the Manager to switch Wright on to Raggett and Graham on to Dickie.It probably saved Graham a red card as I'm sure he was close to Glasgow kissing Raggett for his continuous shirt pulling. Danny Wright played it very sensibly.

One wheel back on the wagon. Lincoln looked as shocked as Swindon to be beaten by us. Justice served on the idiot minority in their section.
asl
horlickfanclub wrote:Justice served on the idiot minority in their section.
The majority of Lincoln fans do not appear to be impressed, neither: http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... 5&posts=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Words like 'embarrassing' and 'morons' being used to describe them.
Shade
That Danny Wright...he's just not good enough. I mean, he's scored the winner in the last two home games but he's useless.

:roll:
Robin
Not sure I follow your argument Shade, yes he was in the right place at the right time versus Swindon but overall his all round contribution isn't up to scratch. See his performance against Grimsby whereby he failed to win a meaningful header all game and was easily dominated by their centre halves. Alternatively compare him to Graham who has the technical ability and guile to create for others around him where Wright is often found wanting at this level.

I'm a big advocate of Danny Wright as a squad player, I love his effort he rarely has the desired effect when he starts and all too often we struggle with him leading the line.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wright benefitted from the movement of others around him. His goal a case in point.

There will be plenty more games against cloggers, shin kickers and shirt rippers where being able to play Wright alongside Graham will be vital to keep defenders occupied and roughed up to protect the likes of Mo, Sellars and Morrell.
Shade
My "argument" is that nobody else scored the goals. If he gets in the right places at the right times and sticks the ball in the net then he's doing as much to affect the result as anyone else. That is the end of my "argument".
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Not sure I follow your argument Shade, yes he was in the right place at the right time versus Swindon but overall his all round contribution isn't up to scratch. See his performance against Grimsby whereby he failed to win a meaningful header all game and was easily dominated by their centre halves. Alternatively compare him to Graham who has the technical ability and guile to create for others around him where Wright is often found wanting at this level.

I'm a big advocate of Danny Wright as a squad player, I love his effort he rarely has the desired effect when he starts and all too often we struggle with him leading the line.
Sorry Robin, I have to disagree. Wright was very clever on Saturday and had Johnson not changed him and Graham around so that Wright was on Raggett then Graham would very likely have been sent off. Wright on the other hand took Raggett to school and made sure he didn't give many fouls away and attempted to get free-kicks.

Wright is shockingly underrated in my opinion - he'll never be a 20 goal a season man, but his work-rate and non-league nous make him a better player than many give him credit for - his goal on Saturday was a case in point. The ball was won well by Graham, but Wright eventually had 3 men on him and he managed to keep hold of possession, hold them off, and then roll it into the corner out of the keeper's reach. I don't know anyone else in our team who would have been able to do that, and I include Brian Graham in that.

Against Grimsby, he won everything outside of the box, but every ball into the box was well marshalled by their defence. It was clear that constantly lobbing the ball in wasn't going to get us very far and it's telling that our second goal came from playing the ball on the floor (Wright with the assist btw).
Robin
Shade wrote:My "argument" is that nobody else scored the goals. If he gets in the right places at the right times and sticks the ball in the net then he's doing as much to affect the result as anyone else. That is the end of my "argument".
Sorry to keep challenging on this but I'd counter that we need a forward to contribute more than that, it's not just about being in the right place at the right time we need someone who can win flick ons, create space, bully defenders, Graham can do those elements of the game much better than Wright as evidenced against Lincoln and Grimsby.
asl
Surely part of being a decent striker is being able to get in the right place at the right time. How many times do you think "I could've scored that one - no big deal", conveniently forgetting the skill and effort involved in getting into that position for the resulting tap-in? Gary Lineker was a great goal-scorer - but he was hardly the scorer of great goals.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:My "argument" is that nobody else scored the goals. If he gets in the right places at the right times and sticks the ball in the net then he's doing as much to affect the result as anyone else. That is the end of my "argument".
Same reason I think Holman should be in our squad.