Forest Green Away - Transport

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Ben2 wrote:As you’ll all remember, RCS owes me a pint at this game. So, being a responsible citizen, I will not be driving.

There’s about 6-8 of us need to get back after the game, anyone owns a people carrier, minibus or similar that we can all chip-in for?

RCS I’ll accept the pint at any hostelry in the vicinity from 3pm onwards
Stagecoach for me and mates.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Robin
Take the train, it's pretty easy only a couple of stops.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How to get from Stroud station to TNL?

I joined the travel club in the summer just to ensure priority for getting coach to this game.

Ben, FL rules dictate you can't drink in view of the pitch during game time. So pint before 3pm.
Robin
Take a taxi from the station but there are pubs there for a pre-match drink and avoids walking up that hill.
The Old TomCat
No 63 bus from Stroud bus depot [next to cinema] leaves just minutes after the hour or 30 minutes later.
20 minutes to TNL.
2pm bus would be best.
At end of game catch bus from second bus stop down hill [by roundabout] just after the hour.
Malabus
The Old TomCat wrote:No 63 bus from Stroud bus depot [next to cinema] leaves just minutes after the hour or 30 minutes later.
20 minutes to TNL.
2pm bus would be best.
At end of game catch bus from second bus stop down hill [by roundabout] just after the hour.
Good advice, thanks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The 2pm is a CTFC bus. Any FGR thinking of boarding, don't.
longmover
Train is he way to go, trains from Stroud to Chelt at 18.43, 19.45 and 20.28
kora
Or you can use the club coaches, door to door service usually arriving 1 o'clockish and cheaper than Stagecoach by quite a lot I'll bet.
Johnsons Red Army
longmover wrote:Train is he way to go, trains from Stroud to Chelt at 18.43, 19.45 and 20.28
Train will only get you as far as Stroud. Nailsworth is another 5 miles away.

Obviously, you could get the train and then jump on the bus that OTC was talking about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, I agree with Kora. 20 mins on a bus from Stroud to TNL each way, plus waiting at the stop, could be be close to an hour round trip from Stroud train station to the the TNL and back, which for such a short away game is a huge percentage of the total time and a complete waste imo.
longmover
five miles!! I thought the Stroud was the size of Prestbury?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:five miles!! I thought the Stroud was the size of Prestbury?
Not only is Stroud bigger than Prestbury, but TNL is in Nailsworth not Stroud. Further away from Stroud than Minchinhampton is. Given where TNL is on east edge of Nailsworth, if you are going to go by taxi from the station it is not much further to go to Cam & Dursley on the Bristol line, or get off at Stonehouse the stop before Stroud.

You would have though that eco-Vince would have a shuttle bus run by renewables going to and from one or all three of those stations, rather than encouraging people to drive.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Not only is Stroud bigger than Prestbury, but TNL is in Nailsworth not Stroud. Further away from Stroud than Minchinhampton is. Given where TNL is on east edge of Nailsworth, if you are going to go by taxi from the station it is not much further to go to Cam & Dursley on the Bristol line, or get off at Stonehouse the stop before Stroud.

You would have though that eco-Vince would have a shuttle bus run by renewables going to and from one or all three of those stations, rather than encouraging people to drive.
Would not recommend getting off at Stonehouse. Will add another 3-4 miles to your journey.

If you are coming by train, get off at Stroud and the catch the bus or taxi to Nailsworth.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:

Would not recommend getting off at Stonehouse. Will add another 3-4 miles to your journey.

If you are coming by train, get off at Stroud and the catch the bus or taxi to Nailsworth.
Yes but my thinking was Stonehouse you get off the train five mins sooner, at a smaller station and with likely less demand for a taxi and no ring road and less football traffic you may get on the open road 10 or so mins sooner than if going via Stroud.

If you are going by bus from Stroud you might as well get the bus from Cheltenham town centre (no. 46). 20 mins bus from Stroud to TNL is ridiculous.
MSB
If you are going by bus from Stroud you might as well get the bus from Cheltenham town centre (no. 46). 20 mins bus from Stroud to TNL is ridiculous.
Number 61 now, changed from 46 a few years ago. You'll need to change at Stroud for the 63 to get to Forest Green. Get an explorer ticket for £7 which will cover your travel for the whole day.
Malabus

The TNL is in a little place called Forest Green and NOT Nailsworth.
Robin
kora wrote:Or you can use the club coaches, door to door service usually arriving 1 o'clockish and cheaper than Stagecoach by quite a lot I'll bet.
Can't have a drink on the club coaches though and there is more atmosphere in a library.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No on the day sales, so at least no quiz debacle.

But does mean the 1,000+ we would have taken into the home stands and terraces may be put off by having to buy tickets in advance.

Personally I would like to see 1,000+ ticketless Robins turn up. There will be a few thousand empty seats and steps in the ground, so it would be interesting to see if FGR relent and let the Red Army in, or risk chaos by keeping 1,000 frustrated fans outside in a small village.
asl
It'd be just like Arsenal v Cologne, I can see it now... :roll:
Robin
I think we'll sell our 1000 allocation and have a few hundred in the home areas like last time. Let's be honest it's not difficult to get in the home areas as proven last time and there is no chance of any bother as both sets of fans get on well.

Also one small gripe there is no away seating it seems, not fair on our older fans given the old lady got crushed last time with the goal surge I hope either FGR change their mind or our older fans just buy tickets in the home areas.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Last time they sold tickets on the gate so was easy. All ticket this time.

So depends on whether a) FGR will sell tickets online to first time purchasers with a Cheltenham address and/or b) whether fans will bother to go to TNL to buy tickets from the ticket office during the next few weeks.
Robin
That was my take as well, all ticket only for away fans, will be lots of space in the home end as they are averaging only 1400 home fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP says in his article: "It is an all-ticket clash and none will be sold on matchday in Nailsworth".

Maybe he can confirm whether for whole ground or just away stands.
Robin
Either way it's easy just to drive and buy tickets there or apply on line as we have a lot of fans living outside of Cheltenham...
Artemis
We have a fair number of fans in the Cirencester area now, for whom TNL is closer than WR - myself included - so getting a ticket in the home end with a handy GL6 or GL7 postcode is no problem.
Shade
Bought mine this morning. I shall be bouncing in the West Stand on 25th November.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Unfortunately due to ticketing priorities I won’t be able to make the game

Hope you all witness a great game and make some noise for me!
Get in the home end. Be a pint in it for you.
Blakey 9
surely the tickets will get to the general sale stage ? it's a joke that we have only been given just under a thousand tickets should of been allocated 1,500
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Blakey 9 wrote:surely the tickets will get to the general sale stage ? it's a joke that we have only been given just under a thousand tickets should of been allocated 1,500
They only give one terrace to away fans no matter what the demand. Was same for Swindon. They did have 50 or so seats bolted on to that terrace for people who need/prefer to sit but took them out as they could add another 150 (net) standing.

Was a thread from the Grimsby match about the awful disregard and disdain FGR had for disabled fans and others who needed to sit.
Johnsons Red Army
Ben2 wrote:Unfortunately due to ticketing priorities I won’t be able to make the game

Hope you all witness a great game and make some noise for me!
Join the Robins Trust and get priority access.

http://robinstrust.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only £5 to join now.

Note: You must be signed up as a Robins Trust member by Wednesday, November 8 (11.59pm) to be eligible for second tier priority ticketing.
Benctfc
What is the minimum you have to allocate to away fans? I would hope when they visit here we give them the smallest allocation we can and make it difficult for their fans too get tickets too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:What is the minimum you have to allocate to away fans? I would hope when they visit here we give them the smallest allocation we can and make it difficult for their fans too get tickets too.
This was an issue for Newcastle fans last season in the Championship:

https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/11/efl-ru ... le-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article has a link to EFL rules.

FGR have to give us at least 10% of attendance, but they give us about double that. And, unless they have special permission, must give us at least 200 tickets under cover. I do not think they do the latter.

So we could get away with giving them 700.
Robin
Blakey 9 wrote:surely the tickets will get to the general sale stage ? it's a joke that we have only been given just under a thousand tickets should of been allocated 1,500
Of course they'll go on general sale Blakey and if we sell out you just go in the home areas like a lot a did in the conference.
Sprout Picker
Benctfc wrote:What is the minimum you have to allocate to away fans? I would hope when they visit here we give them the smallest allocation we can and make it difficult for their fans too get tickets too.
This was an issue for Newcastle fans last season in the Championship:

https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/11/efl-ru ... le-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article has a link to EFL rules.

FGR have to give us at least 10% of attendance, but they give us about double that. And, unless they have special permission, must give us at least 200 tickets under cover. I do not think they do the latter.

So we could get away with giving them 700.
The whole away terrace was under cover last time I went or do you mean seats rather than tickets?