Play Off preferences

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Due to the slow start and delay in building and gelling our promotion quality squad I think most of us agree that a top 3 finish is unlikely (though not impossible).

Realistically then, we'll be looking at play offs if we are to achieve the promotion fans now expect.

Who do you fancy?

Personally I like good semi final contest against a reasonably close team. A tense affair vs Swindon or Coventry would be exciting with a full away end.

FGR would be the ideal opponent in the final. A Gloucestershire match where we would outnumber the opponents fans hugely. Assuming they won't be contesting, then a decent side I don't mind losing to would be nice - like Lincoln or Cambridge.
Shade
I thought it was Hallowe'en, not April Fools.

FGR in the final, indeed...
I-Love-CTFC
Delusions of grandeur.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I thought it was Hallowe'en, not April Fools.

FGR in the final, indeed...
I said ideally and assume they won't be. Pretty clear.
Shade
In which case Arsenal or Man U would be even better. Virtually the same chance of them being in the League 2 play-off final.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:In which case Arsenal or Man U would be even better. Virtually the same chance of them being in the League 2 play-off final.
What you on about?

As I said, Lincoln or Cambridge (or similar nice club) would be my preference.
Chris FGR
Well we did average two points a game in October so keep that up and you never know......lol

Seriously though, do many of your fans genuinely "expect" promotion? The ones I know aren't overly confident, although you've clearly improved a lot since last season.
Johnsons Red Army
I imagine RCS is the only one who "expects" it, however, it is quite likely he is talking largely in jest.

I'm personally of the opinion that promotion is a possibility (currently 6 points out of the playoff positions, so it is certainly a possibility), however I can't say I "expect" it at this moment in time.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:In which case Arsenal or Man U would be even better. Virtually the same chance of them being in the League 2 play-off final.
What you on about?
If you can talk nonsense then so can I. It's a new rule I've made up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Well we did average two points a game in October so keep that up and you never know......lol

Seriously though, do many of your fans genuinely "expect" promotion? The ones I know aren't overly confident, although you've clearly improved a lot since last season.
Had the squad been in place in pre-season I am sure everyone would expect playoffs.

As we are playing catch-up from the first 5-6 games or so some are yet to be convinced.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
What you on about?
If you can talk nonsense then so can I. It's a new rule I've made up.
What is nonsense about saying we aren't going to make top three and that if we make the playoffs final then of the current contenders hunting playoffs I would most like to play Lincoln or Cambridge?
Robin
Chris FGR wrote:Well we did average two points a game in October so keep that up and you never know......lol

Simple to that is no. I've not heard a single fan realistically talk about promotion this season, most believe we'll be mid-table but could threaten a play off challenge. We've improved a lot from last season but still a few things to sort such as away record before promotion is realistic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Away form has turned the same as home form.

In the four away games since we have had the complete and settled squad we have drawn vs two top seven sides, beaten a relegation side and losing to an information Pope.

In fact, only two defeats since 12th September, one home and one away.

The first seven games are a write off; incomplete squad, no time to gel, lack of match fitness to some players.

The last nine games - since we have had a complete, settled and fitter squad - has accrued 17 points. That form over 46 games would accrue 86 points.

Write off the first seven and we are playing a 39 game season. The form of the last nine games would give us 73 points in 39 games.

73 points gives you a good chance of play offs.

If people judge the squad we had now, rather than the one we had for the first seven games they will see a promotion quality squad.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Away form has turned the same as home form.

In the four away games since we have had the complete and settled squad we have drawn vs two top seven sides, beaten a relegation side and losing to an information Pope.

The first seven games are a write off; incomplete squad, no time to gel, lack of match fitness to some players.

The last nine games - since we have had a complete, settled and fitter squad - has accrued 17 points. That form over 46 games would accrue 86 points.

Write off the first seven and we are playing a 39 game season. The form of the last nine games would give us 73 points in 39 games.

If people judge the squad we had now, rather than the one we had for the first seven games they will see a promotion quality squad.
Do what?! :lol: Predictive text disaster?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Away form has turned the same as home form.

Do what?! :lol: Predictive text disaster?!
Oops. Should have said ‘an in form Pope’.

The virtues of typing on the phone whilst striding for a train!