Cheltenham Town v Maidstone United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates here throughout the afternoon http://bit.ly/MaidstoneHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
2-0! Absolutely pathetic.

Make three subs now. No point playing players who are worried about getting injured so not going full throttle.

At least one goal back needed before half time to rescue a modicum of acceptability.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two subs coming on. Gary obviously feels the same.
Alf
What the hell is wrong with our defence? They are running rings round us!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:What the hell is wrong with our defence? They are running rings round us!
Interesting Moore was taken off and not Boyle or Grimes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Disgusting. Hoped they were booed off.

Players should be docked a weeks' pay and fans given a free ticket for a match of their choosing (home or away).

Players must be in for extra training tomorrow.

If any of them moan, ship out in January. Not welcome at CTFC.

Focus on the league now.
confused.com
No way we are coming back from this we are total 5hite all the way thru the team.
Btw RCS thought you condemed the boo boys?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:No way we are coming back from this we are total 5hite all the way thru the team.
Btw RCS thought you condemed the boo boys?
I condemn boo boys who get on the back of individual players or who abuse/target one or two individuals.

Booing the whole team after a dire half is fine.
confused.com
I would argue they are not worth the effort
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fair enough.

Any fans heading home?
theidlerich
Just looked up the score - ..."What the h**l"! Please tell me it's an hallucination. We can't be that bad surely?
[In a way I'm glad I was unable to see the game, so currently not sad I'm missing such a debacle.]
I-Love-CTFC
The old Jordan Cranston has returned. Absolutely disgraceful! Embarrassing!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Kents down to ten men, but probably too much for CTFC to do.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4-2. Thirty minutes to get three goals. Wouldn't excuse the players though. Fines and extra training would still be needed.
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:4-2. Thirty minutes to get three goals. Wouldn't excuse the players though. Fines and extra training would still be needed.
Won't make them into better players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:4-2. Thirty minutes to get three goals. Wouldn't excuse the players though. Fines and extra training would still be needed.
Won't make them into better players.
They are good enough players. As discussed elsewhere, easily a top seven side in L2.

Today either a lack of effort or lack of intensity, both leading to an u acceptable performance.

The fines and training is merely to punish the players and make the players understand that even if they are good enough to get to L1, today's shambles is unacceptable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds like we are creating chances and failing to finish any. Type of chances bouncing around the box which Holman would snaffle up and bury.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Straight red for Dawson. Wtf. The priority is the League and now Dawson misses three matches. What a moron. Why make the tackle. Cup was a lost cause. Pathetic.

Hinds or someone should have been playing any way. As discussed elsewhere, was pointless to risk our best players in a winnable game. And likely the second string would have been more focused and determined than the players who started.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Sounds like we are creating chances and failing to finish any. Type of chances bouncing around the box which Holman would snaffle up and bury.
After I type that Holman scores the winner vs Blackpool.
Nham68
I-Love-CTFC wrote:The old Jordan Cranston has returned. Absolutely disgraceful! Embarrassing!
What was wrong with Cranston today ? He did ok... caused them a lot of problems down the left.
andgarod
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:What the hell is wrong with our defence? They are running rings round us!
Interesting Moore was taken off and not Boyle or Grimes.
If you were at the match RCS you would know that Boyle didnt start

Cranston was obviously told to get down and get the ball in the box
Eisa does not help defensively
Storer and Pell were poor
What did Winchester do to get taken out of midfield

Surely against a conference side we should have started with Wright and Graham up front

Chance for Nig but hes still injured

GJ to team when we concede one hold on to the ball and dont concede in seconds

Dawson was poor first half as was Morrell shouldnt have played and time Grimes had a rest as well
At least Dawson has a chance to rest now
All round poor show so no money to spend in January
itsallbollox
Nham68 wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:The old Jordan Cranston has returned. Absolutely disgraceful! Embarrassing!
What was wrong with Cranston today ? He did ok... caused them a lot of problems down the left.
Anything to get on a player's back.
Benctfc
It was embarassing when it was 11v11 we were completely outplayed and were lucky to be only 3 down even when it got back to 10v10 they came back into the game and could have scored more.

Taylor Moore's defending for the 2nd goal was embarassing and was rightly taken off. Cranston again cost us 2 goals out of position and caught out for the 3rd and put in a pathetic attempt of a tackle for their 4th he's lucky we dont have another LB in the squad nearly all the goals we concede come down the left side. Only player who played reasonably well was Eisa who was our only threat and brilliantly set the 2 goals up.
Benctfc
Nham68 wrote:
He cost us 2 goals with his defending :? going up the pitch and making a few runs doesnt make up for that...
Shade
Cranston got done for their 4th like he did against Grimsby - guy cut back and Cranston had sold himself. Way too easy. But he was the least of our worries today because the rest of the defence were f#!$ woeful to say the least. Pell had one of his games where he could do nothing right. Every player wanted too long on the ball because he had no options. God knows what the scouting reports said, if there were any, because we didn't seem to have any clue about their threats or how to deal with them.

We ended up havng enough chances to win the game in the last half an hour but weren't clinical enough. Their keeper made a few good saves but the ball was too close to him. Not sure Dawson even made contact with their keeper but he was wasting as much time as possible anyway so not exactly surprised to see him stay down and roll around. Don't know what Gary was sent off for but I'd imagine whatever he said was justified.

We need to replace Grimes. He's way too inconsistent. Boyle made a few mistakes but more because he was trying to get us on the front foot and make up for others mistakes. Taylor Moore needs the bollocking I'd imagine he'll be getting for taking them way too lightly - didn't think he was the type to turn up and think a game was already won. By the time he realised he had a game on his hands he'd already lost his head.

Outclassed, outworked, outperformed, bullied. They made us look like the non-leaguers and deserved it. Zavon Hines, ex-West Ham wonderkid? What's he doing there?! Must have had his one good game a season.

So, good win aganst Luton next week is on the cards, we're so up and down.
Nesty
I think we are struggling with only having ONE full back on our books !!! - yes I know I have said it before but there is no room for injuries, suspensions or form loss. Its OK for people to slag Cranston but he is all we have.

Just love the irony of Holman scoring the winner for Boreham Wood
Rulistening
Didn't go today and by the sounds of it I'm glad. Such a shame we can't have a good cup run for more finances to go into january signings. Id rather have a good league finish though so I guess we can focus on only that now..? still not happy but hey, positives to everything!
confused.com
itsallbollox wrote:
Nham68 wrote:
Anything to get on a player's back.
Not sure that is a valid remark. He was totally to blame for the 4th goal. Also his crosses were pretty poor. In saying that his ineptitude did not stand out in that display
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Cranston got done for their 4th like he did against Grimsby - guy cut back and Cranston had sold himself. Way too easy. But he was the least of our worries today because the rest of the defence were f#!$ woeful to say the least. Pell had one of his games where he could do nothing right. Every player wanted too long on the ball because he had no options. God knows what the scouting reports said, if there were any, because we didn't seem to have any clue about their threats or how to deal with them.

We ended up havng enough chances to win the game in the last half an hour but weren't clinical enough. Their keeper made a few good saves but the ball was too close to him. Not sure Dawson even made contact with their keeper but he was wasting as much time as possible anyway so not exactly surprised to see him stay down and roll around. Don't know what Gary was sent off for but I'd imagine whatever he said was justified.

We need to replace Grimes. He's way too inconsistent. Boyle made a few mistakes but more because he was trying to get us on the front foot and make up for others mistakes. Taylor Moore needs the bollocking I'd imagine he'll be getting for taking them way too lightly - didn't think he was the type to turn up and think a game was already won. By the time he realised he had a game on his hands he'd already lost his head.

Outclassed, outworked, outperformed, bullied. They made us look like the non-leaguers and deserved it. Zavon Hines, ex-West Ham wonderkid? What's he doing there?! Must have had his one good game a season.

So, good win aganst Luton next week is on the cards, we're so up and down.
Should have played Bower and the other recently signed defender, they’d have been up for proving a point and determined to impress. Not just Moore playing like that. Morrell has Wales under-21s coming up, so last thing he wanted to do was get injured against a non-league side.

Too many playing at half pace and like a training game. I accept the League is the priority- which is why in games like this we need to use the squad so that we have players on the pitch giving it all, rather than players playing knowing they have to stay fit for Luton next week so playing at half speed and not getting stuck in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Not sure that is a valid remark. He was totally to blame for the 4th goal. Also his crosses were pretty poor. In saying that his ineptitude did not stand out in that display
In which case let’s have equal abuse for the players at fault for goals 1 to 3 and all the rest who were inept. No reason to pick out one player today - a collective shambles.

The only individual criticism is maybe Dawson, and not because of the result today but because he now misses three much more important games.
confused.com
still doesnt make it a valid remark
Shade
You can't slag Cranston off today witjout slagging off Moore for the terrible second, Grimes for not really doing enough for any of the goals or Winchester for having his worst performance.

For me, Eisa was the only one to come out of the game with any credit for being our only threat throughout and crossing for both goals. But he's beingnpicked out on facebook for special treatment because he was apparently pulling out of challenges and going missing in games which, in my mind, is absolute balls. It's not a striker's, playing left midfield, fault that we've conceded 4 horrendous goals. But, having said that, I don't even remember him pulling out of a challenge and he was always available and trying to make things happen.
art vandalay
I think our last 4 seasons as a League club have all seen us lose to non-League opposition. I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if any other League team can match this.
Malabus
Trouble with Cranston is that he’s a great LWB but isn’t great defending.
Robin
Cranston made two mistakes all game and cost us two goals however he was light years better than the other three who were so bad it was painful. We have picked up a habit of falling apart at the back, Wycombe, Grimsby, Port Vale and Maidstone something needs to change back there.